We need a judo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look up "worst refereeing blunder in the history of sport" and you shoud see a photo of him on a podium crying donning a silver medal.

He is the guy that "lost" to Doilet?

He is the guy that "lost" to Doilet?

Thats him, painful.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSYsrQNfJUw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSYsrQNfJUw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Watch both Saito and Yamashita going nuts at the side, especially Yamashita fater it was over, and then the tv presenter at the end crying. Bloody brutal, Shinohara in true Japanese fashion refused to be bitter about the decision but he knows he won.

Douillet lost a lot of fans in world judo for his behavior in the aftermath. Apparently he ridiculed Yamashita's behavior which is not a good thing to do to say the least.

Russian Grip is good if youre taller than your opponent, Tai Otoshi works if you can get low enough. I think its 5 seconds here in England for either holding the belt or having both hands on 1 side of the Gi.

Khabarelli is good with it to, if you have the rocks to go for one in a comp!!

Happy Boy, what techniques/tactics would you recommend for a taller/lighter Judoka against short stocky guys.

Happy Boy, what techniques/tactics would you recommend for a taller/lighter Judoka against short stocky guys.

Im like that, 6'2 and although I fight mainly at 90kg, when I was in college (and motivated!!) I made it down to 81a couple of times, and the advantages are great. With the height you can really dominate the grip, especially by getting one hand on their lapel and stopping them getting anything by Koga snapping their hands off. With that, ashi-wazas all the way, just basic ko-soto/ko-uchi/sasae/o-uchi/ashi barai, any amount of these but most of the time just as set ups as you can do them from a distance with the long legs, and as soon as they step off or shuffle you can launch one of your finishers, like a big osoto or a ken-ken uchi mata. Thats my basic form, short and sharp ashi waza and as soon as you get the reaction and big finisher. The good finishers against shorties or the two I mentioned, also tai-otoshi is a good one if you really bury the leg you throw them over and have a good enough grip to torque it, driving ko-uchi works to as you have almost no fear of a counter.

Alrighty. Well, to be honest, there are about a million variations with sleeve and lapel and all that, but Ill describe one thats worked well for me.

This one is for a right hander's stance so you start off with you right hand on his left lapel, and your left hand on his right sleeve. Keeping you right hand where it is, pull down hard with it and send your left hand over the back and on the left side of his head. Grab the belt and switch stance to a lefty stance with left foot forward. From here, do a snap jolt with both hands to offset the balance, and as he adjusts, send your left leg out past his left leg and hook on, and from there pull hard with your right hand in the driving direction and hop off your right back foot. Sometimes it can be good to get extra leverage by switching your right hand from a left lapel to left left sleeve just as the drive commences. Its messy but if you do it fact it really catches them by surprise. Drive all the way from there and if you got the set up right you'll get something. Its hard to ippon with it as they tend to fall not flat, but you have great vantage point to get a good newaza positiion.

? Thats weird, I fight right handed, and I usually put my right hand over their shoulder and grab the lower back gi material not belt. My other hand has the their right sleeve still. I basically use the over shoulder grip for more leverage. Is it still the russian grip without grabbing the belt? I just asumed thats what it was called.

Yeah when I try osoto with that grip (everyone knows I like uchi mata from there) so I fake the uchi matat and go osoto, but I end up having to turn to their side instead of going completely forward, so then it becomes like a weird osoto/harai kinda thing. I need alot of work on that one :redface:

I'll throw a question out for the judo people who coach/train other people/kids

How do you focus your technique training?

quality or quantity?

I mean kids techniques when they do them outside of randori is often quite bad from my experience, very hard to teach them the finer points of it.

do you focus on jsut a few throws and get them to be really good or do you teach them basics for alotta throws?.

I don't really have to follow any curriculum when I teach because as a blue belt I don't rank people

quality or quantity?

I mean kids techniques when they do them outside of randori is often quite bad from my experience, very hard to teach them the finer points of it.

do you focus on jsut a few throws and get them to be really good or do you teach them basics for alotta throws?.

I don't really have to follow any curriculum when I teach because as a blue belt I don't rank people

I was told by a very good coach that its all quantity/fun just due to lack of attention, but thats all that was said.

Might aswell sway this thread into a "who's your favorite judoka" thing.

Kosei Inoue
Nicolas Gill
Pawel Nastula

? Thats weird, I fight right handed, and I usually put my right hand over their shoulder and grab the lower back gi material not belt. My other hand has the their right sleeve still. I basically use the over shoulder grip for more leverage. Is it still the russian grip without grabbing the belt? I just asumed thats what it was called.

Yeah when I try osoto with that grip (everyone knows I like uchi mata from there) so I fake the uchi matat and go osoto, but I end up having to turn to their side instead of going completely forward, so then it becomes like a weird osoto/harai kinda thing. I need alot of work on that one :redface:

Its not pretty and is unorthodox, but whatever, if you throw the dude then it works and its something you should keep doing. I strive for perfect technique all the time, but there are times when you'll fight guys in comps that even though they are the same grade will be miles higher, and you gotta break stuff out to get ahead and give yourself a shot.&#12288;I used this very technique, ugly and thuggish as it sounds, to get a yuko on a dude here who I had no place beating, and all of a sudden there were 20 seconds to go and he only had a koka, and the time ran out and I won. Not perfect, but to hell with it, I went on and he was sitting out.

Might aswell sway this thread into a "who's your favorite judoka" thing.

Kosei Inoue
Nicolas Gill
Pawel Nastula

Shinohara - as best I can I try and emulate this dude's style and throws as I have a similar body type with long arms and legs.

Koga - who couldnt love this dude, spectacular throws and all action.

Inoue - when hes on form there are few better in history, amazing technique, like watching kata.

quality or quantity?

Anyone Ive trained Ive just pounded "action/reaction" into them and made them always break balance before throw no matter how bad the execution of the throw is. Usually only do 3 throws at the start, one going back, one goin forward and a basic leg sweep, and for drills just do big kazushi with these 3 over and over and over.

He has an olympic gold at 71kg I think.

Hes fought bigger guys because he said that he liked the old days when there were no weight classes, it added the dynamic of size and made for more interesting competition.

What weight does Koga fight at? He seems very small, and I've seen him fight some bigger dudes at time.

He won the olympic gold at -71 and then fought up at -76 later in his career. He would have had a second gold except Bouras of France did some dirty French tactics to win the decision in the final in 96.

He was short but he packed such a wallop for his size. Amazing power in his shoulder throws and he invented his own variations on a lot of them to get around his injuries.

The things you've seen are prob when he entered the all-Japan tournament which is open weight. He beat a lot of the 140kg+ guys to get to the final, lasted 7 and a half minutes against the reigning world open weight champion Ogawa Naoya before getting ipponed. Pretty famous, doesnt happen too much anymore for risk of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back