We need a judo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
we do there isnt enough discussion on throws and throw set up defense the whole deal. also judo pins and turnovers

Just my 2 cents, but it seems a few sub-forums might work out extra well in the grappling forum.
I mean, how hard is it to make sub-forums, really? Can't be that difficult.
So you'd have like:
Judo
Sombo
Wrestling
Bjj

Something like that right?
Seems pretty easy really.
Q and I will Mod the Judo forum. Haha.

Thread makes more sense than subforum.

Now, knee wheels- only effective with the gi or potentially transferrable to nogi?

Hiza Guruma transferable to nogi on overhook side, or with Muay Thai Clinch, when you can spin your opponent, but difficult cause it's harder to get a little space to get your foot up effectively. Better used in nogi as a set up for opposite side osoto gari, harai goshi or Tai Otoshi.

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi much more likely and useful for no gi, cause it can be performed with full body contact.

Thread makes more sense than subforum.

Now, knee wheels- only effective with the gi or potentially transferrable to nogi?

not many ppl do hiza guruma correctly, even with gi. doing it with no gi is pretty simply applied, but it's still a matter of understanding the throw.

Since there is alot of pull with that throw I find it slightly more difficult with someone's neck, and honestly the whizzer don't work for me. I use underhook instead. The key to hiza guruma is stepping out slightly (to the side) to allow that angle for your leg.

Hiza+osoto combination is one of my favourites.

driver of the mofo judo bandwagon reporting

Just started up judo a couple months ago (at the beginning of the semester) and I can say I really enjoy it. We just started randori and I enjoy getting slammed as much as the next guy. If you ain't getting slammed you aint learning.

Anyways theres a tournament coming up between the colleges in the area and if I get comfortable enough I i just might do it.

Just started up judo a couple months ago (at the beginning of the semester) and I can say I really enjoy it. We just started randori and I enjoy getting slammed as much as the next guy. If you ain't getting slammed you aint learning.

Anyways theres a tournament coming up between the colleges in the area and if I get comfortable enough I i just might do it.

Do it regardless. You will learn so much at your first tourney. Plus they are fun as hell.

I'm all about a Judo thread (and deeply hurt that I wasn't named in the Judoka list earlier..j/k)

Keep it a sticky.

I think we should post a link to the IJF rules, that way we don't get any "can you (insert Sub here) in Judo" along with a link to judoinfo.com (my online bible for Judo).

Also, the BJJ guys got their "I'm a (insert color here) belt" thread we could start our own on this one.

Finally on topic: Anyone fighting in Nationals at VA Beach this year?

Can BJJ'ers who train judo on the side be allowed to join in? :)

Hey guys, I wanted to see some of the opinions about the russian grip. Is it possible to use it while you stand up straight and your opponent is bent over. I find on some of the more experienced guys when I have it and stand up straight, they just duck under and I got nothin. I like Uchi Mata and A sloppy Osoto/harai variation with it. I prefer standing judo, and think bent over judo is ugly, but it seems I have to be bent over for that russian grip to not be neutralized (basically keep their posture bent over), and it sucks because the russian grip is starting to become money for me now.

Hey guys, I wanted to see some of the opinions about the russian grip. Is it possible to use it while you stand up straight and your opponent is bent over. I find on some of the more experienced guys when I have it and stand up straight, they just duck under and I got nothin. I like Uchi Mata and A sloppy Osoto/harai variation with it. I prefer standing judo, and think bent over judo is ugly, but it seems I have to be bent over for that russian grip to not be neutralized (basically keep their posture bent over), and it sucks because the russian grip is starting to become money for me now.

check my response in the favorite throw thread. I want some opinions as I have some similar questions. Why don't we start a russian grip thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back