Ways to emulate the community & camaraderie of CrossFit?

jughead1

BJJ Hipster
@Blue
Reaction score
My lifts have skyrocketed and I have good form, but I haven't met anyone that lifts and would really like to be apart of some kind of lifting community such as CrossFit. Obviously CrossFit is ragged on a lot and apparently not viable... any good alternatives? My uni doesn't have a PL/BB club, should I try to make one?

Yes, you should. Being a leader can be challenging, but just like a heavy squat, it can be a challenge that helps you improve. As a leader of a club people would look up to you. This can really help bring out ones self motivation to improve there physical goals.

We don't really have a cult because we all have different goals and ideas. CrossFit has became a sport. People do CrossFit to get better at CrossFit honestly.
S&C/PL/Strongman/Olympic Lifting is all very hard to put under one title.

let me fix that tittle for you ts, it should be "Ways to emulate the dogma & fanaticism of CrossFit?"

Seriously though the only group drinking more kool aid than the crossfit crowd are extremist muslims, so maybe start some kind of university oly lifting/terrorism club?

let me fix that tittle for you ts, it should be "Ways to emulate the dogma & fanaticism of CrossFit?"

Seriously though the only group drinking more kool aid than the crossfit crowd are extremist muslims, so maybe start some kind of university oly lifting/terrorism club?

You are missing the point. Crossfit does generate a lot of enthusiasm and community around it, and that is a good thing. Just because they don't use proper technique/programming doesn't mean they don't know how to create a community.

Competing in local events is a good first step to meeting like-minded individuals. Somerville isn't a huge city but we have a great road-running group - www.srr.org - Running is easier to do in big groups than lifting, but entering 'teams' of people in local races is great for keeping people motivated & together. I do wish we had a powerlifting equivalent.

Last edited:

I think that might be a bit of an extreme jump there guy.

I reach out to just about every person who trains for strength in my gym. I say hello and ask if they're getting stronger, ask about their goals. I invite them to some see a powerlifting competition if they seem interested. Two new guys are going to come and compete with me in February, and a few more will likely come and check it out.

Most people are intimidated or put off because people like their own space, pace, etc. in the gym and try to keep others out of their workouts. We try to reverse this, and foster a "the more the merrier" type of atmosphere. The strongest guy in the gym now comes in to work out with us, and this was a guy who typically left the headphones blasting, never making eye contact with anyone from the time he arrived to the time he left. Now he shows up all smiles and if one of us isn't around, he asks where we are.

The other day after deadlifts we were doing double overhand static holds for time in the rack, calling out the seconds and generally making it a competition, along with some cheering and jeering, etc. A guy I've never met just came over and asked "Can I get in on this?" We said yeah, man, and he did pretty decent, with all of us cheering him on. We went on doing this until I couldn't make a fist the next day. Workouts get harder when you're caught up in the moment.

I love the new, inclusive atmosphere in our gym and do everything I can to promote it. It needs no gimmick attached, just a willingness to step out of your comfort zone and approach those somewhat difficult-to-approach types. It pays off.

Good for you Cheeze Whiz. Real talk. More people need to do that.

I reach out to just about every person who trains for strength in my gym. I say hello and ask if they're getting stronger, ask about their goals. I invite them to some see a powerlifting competition if they seem interested. Two new guys are going to come and compete with me in February, and a few more will likely come and check it out.

Most people are intimidated or put off because people like their own space, pace, etc. in the gym and try to keep others out of their workouts. We try to reverse this, and foster a "the more the merrier" type of atmosphere. The strongest guy in the gym now comes in to work out with us, and this was a guy who typically left the headphones blasting, never making eye contact with anyone from the time he arrived to the time he left. Now he shows up all smiles and if one of us isn't around, he asks where we are.

The other day after deadlifts we were doing double overhand static holds for time in the rack, calling out the seconds and generally making it a competition, along with some cheering and jeering, etc. A guy I've never met just came over and asked "Can I get in on this?" We said yeah, man, and he did pretty decent, with all of us cheering him on. We went on doing this until I couldn't make a fist the next day. Workouts get harder when you're caught up in the moment.

I love the new, inclusive atmosphere in our gym and do everything I can to promote it. It needs no gimmick attached, just a willingness to step out of your comfort zone and approach those somewhat difficult-to-approach types. It pays off.

Wish I had that, it sounds awesome :(

My gym is the commercial, t-shirt trainer 'health and wellbeing' style gym. I'd love a group of guys that I could share goals and programs and general S&C talk with, but most of my buddies are more interested in who can press the heaviest dumbbells and who has the biggest pecs rather than barbell strength training. I rarely see another guy in my gym doing below parallel squats or correct form deadlifts either, so I don't really have anyone worthwhile to approach. Sucks.

I dream of the day when I walk into the gym at 7:30 AM and see some guy squatting parallel.

Yeah, you know when I lift alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Can you join a Crossfit gym and just do your own routine? They typically have better equipment than standard gyms [plyo boxes, bumper plates, lots of rope, prowlers].

We have a crossfit affiliate renting out a part of the gym I go to, and we're not allowed to go inside if we're not members. And their equipment is a lot better than ours without the dumb machines cluttering up the space.

Can you join a Crossfit gym and just do your own routine? They typically have better equipment than standard gyms [plyo boxes, bumper plates, lots of rope, prowlers].

We have a crossfit affiliate renting out a part of the gym I go to, and we're not allowed to go inside if we're not members. And their equipment is a lot better than ours without the dumb machines cluttering up the space.

Some allow it, others don't. It's a mixed bag.

Let caffeine be your training partner and only friend.

Personally, I prefer it when the gym is quieter, but not completely dead.

We started a University powerlifting team here, and it was a great decision. If you want to share your enjoyment with others and build a community, go for it. If you don't want to (like some on here have expressed), then you don't have to. But if this is what you want, then it's definitely worth doing.

I've trained both alone and in groups, and both have their strong points and their weaknesses.

I know a lot of the regulars who train in the Free Weights Gym. Sometimes I'll talk to them between sets. Other times I'll go through a whole workout and not feel the need to speak to anyone.

Wish I had that, it sounds awesome :(

My gym is the commercial, t-shirt trainer 'health and wellbeing' style gym. I'd love a group of guys that I could share goals and programs and general S&C talk with, but most of my buddies are more interested in who can press the heaviest dumbbells and who has the biggest pecs rather than barbell strength training. I rarely see another guy in my gym doing below parallel squats or correct form deadlifts either, so I don't really have anyone worthwhile to approach. Sucks.

maybe if you get over that attitude and share your knowledge around maybe you can create people worthy of your attention?

maybe if you get over that attitude and share your knowledge around maybe you can create people worthy of your attention?

I may have worded that slightly incorrectly. I feel there is nobody that I can relate to and share topical knowledge with in my gym because of the T-shirt trainers that frequent the weights area in 2's and 3's and do their stuff and leave.

Also I don't want to be the "actually your doing that wrong" or "you need a new program" guy. I don't think that sort of approach would go down too well in my gym.

Back