Ways to emulate the community & camaraderie of CrossFit?

I may have worded that slightly incorrectly. I feel there is nobody that I can relate to and share topical knowledge with in my gym because of the T-shirt trainers that frequent the weights area in 2's and 3's and do their stuff and leave.

Also I don't want to be the "actually your doing that wrong" or "you need a new program" guy. I don't think that sort of approach would go down too well in my gym.

Fair enough then, i appreciate noone wants to be 'that guy'. I joined a local running group because i hate running so much i can only do it with other people to talk to / grunt at depending on intensity. I was shocked the guys there that 'work out' dont ever squat or deadlift. I didnt know people didnt do that. but hopefully I convinced a few of them to start.

Fair enough then, i appreciate noone wants to be 'that guy'. I joined a local running group because i hate running so much i can only do it with other people to talk to / grunt at depending on intensity. I was shocked the guys there that 'work out' dont ever squat or deadlift. I didnt know people didnt do that. but hopefully I convinced a few of them to start.

Id guess that 1 in 15 gym goers squats and deadlifts with any intensity

I reach out to just about every person who trains for strength in my gym. I say hello and ask if they're getting stronger, ask about their goals. I invite them to some see a powerlifting competition if they seem interested. Two new guys are going to come and compete with me in February, and a few more will likely come and check it out.

Most people are intimidated or put off because people like their own space, pace, etc. in the gym and try to keep others out of their workouts. We try to reverse this, and foster a "the more the merrier" type of atmosphere. The strongest guy in the gym now comes in to work out with us, and this was a guy who typically left the headphones blasting, never making eye contact with anyone from the time he arrived to the time he left. Now he shows up all smiles and if one of us isn't around, he asks where we are.

The other day after deadlifts we were doing double overhand static holds for time in the rack, calling out the seconds and generally making it a competition, along with some cheering and jeering, etc. A guy I've never met just came over and asked "Can I get in on this?" We said yeah, man, and he did pretty decent, with all of us cheering him on. We went on doing this until I couldn't make a fist the next day. Workouts get harder when you're caught up in the moment.

I love the new, inclusive atmosphere in our gym and do everything I can to promote it. It needs no gimmick attached, just a willingness to step out of your comfort zone and approach those somewhat difficult-to-approach types. It pays off.

Man that sounds awesome. I'm very tempted to join a gym where there is a power lifting team, only thing holding me back is lack of money due to being a poor student and it's in the middle of town so having to pay for parking every gym session would suck.

Man that sounds awesome. I'm very tempted to join a gym where there is a power lifting team, only thing holding me back is lack of money due to being a poor student and it's in the middle of town so having to pay for parking every gym session would suck.

Get a bus pass dood

Oh I didn't even think of that! Fairly sure my friend who works there could get me a cheap membership aswell so this may be a go.

Good for you Cheeze Whiz. Real talk. More people need to do that.

I agree!

I have often thought about posting a message on the YMCA facebook wall asking if anyone is interested in getting stronger. I am by no means a leader in this, but maybe someone who knows his shit will see that message and say; "hey I want to get in on that!"

Anyway, I like what CF has done so far in that it gets people to the gym and involced in something, even if it included vomitting, tight Tees, wearing funny hats and thick rimmed glasses when you work out...

On a side not, I watched a bit of the crossfit games lastnight. When do you think they will begin drug testing? Some of those chicks had beards. i swear I saw one with a package sticking out.

On a side not, I watched a bit of the crossfit games lastnight. When do you think they will begin drug testing? Some of those chicks had beards. i swear I saw one with a package sticking out.

They already drug test, I believe.

I saw a little of that. They were doing "Elizabeth" I believe: Cleans with 135, then ring dips, sets of 21 each, then 15 each, then 9 each. Makes me wonder how fast I could do it. Intriguing, really.

Go to any gym with people who have the same goals as you, make some friends, and you will find that camaraderie and community without the kool aid drinking.

drug free sport runs the testing for the crossfit games. the top 3 females and top 3 males get tested after they compete, and a bunch of other random tests are done also.

a hot test will disqualify you (or your entire team) from the entire season.

Yeah I know this is the right answer, but I can see how people get caught up in the hype, watching the event on ESPN2.

not to start a 600 page crossfit discussion, but I agree. The events are kind of cool. But as far as using crossfit as a training method, no thank you.

drug free sport runs the testing for the crossfit games. the top 3 females and top 3 males get tested after they compete, and a bunch of other random tests are done also.

a hot test will disqualify you (or your entire team) from the entire season.

Well that's good. For the amount of money and sponsorships that they give away it would make sense to test. I still think the chicks had weiners.

Well that's good. For the amount of money and sponsorships that they give away it would make sense to test. I still think the chicks had weiners.

Well, lets be honest; if you know approximately when you're going to be tested, there is no reason to fail the test.

there are some beastly women doing that shit. though i dont view them any different than women power lifters.

Don't be hatin'.

Lol
I saw a video of some guy doing a WOD wearing fake thick rimmed glasses, like just the rims. He was also wearing a touque like an elf would, and tight sleeveless t-shirt and flashy runners, of course...

Didn't mean to make fun if you wear glasses...

Back