Washing Your Gi...How often?

BJJob

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how often some of you wash your GI. I wash my after every single use but most people where i train seem to wash theirs seldom if ever. I think its just foul to wear anything you work out in more than once between washings especially something GI that soaks up not only your sweat but who's ever you roll with too.

Maybe its my OCD talking but I really don't see how anyone could wear an unwashed gi that smells worse than a Mexican jail. Idk if any of you know what a Mexican Jail smells like consider your self fortunate

You don't have OCD. You're doing the right thing. Keep your Gi smelling fresh and refuse to train with those who's gi doesn't. I'm proud to say that a girl complimented me on how good my gi smelled while we did arm triangle drills.

Every other training session is how often I wash the gi. I immediately let it air dry after using it though on the first time and if I did not have the ability to do this I would wash it every session.

If I train 4 days a week, I try to wash it 1-2 times. However the old girl does get a load of fabreeze and a quick tumble dry before every practice. I have 3 pairs of pants though, so theres less to worry about on the bottom half.

If you train four days a week you need more than one gi you stinky ape.

This isnt a discussion. The answer is after every class. Staph is a serious risk. If we just start rolling and your gi smells, I will totally stand up and stop rolling, even if it means having to sit out myself. Theres no reason *not* to wash your gi every day. Throw it in the wash after class, and either hang it outside if its warm out, or hang it up and put a fan in front of it.

You should be washing your gi after every class... Unless you want to be the douche bag who breeds and transmits fungal and staph infections...

I roll with stinky fucks all the time. I'd reccomend washing and getting some gis in rotation.

I was wondering how often some of you wash your GI. I wash my after every single use but most people where i train seem to wash theirs seldom if ever. I think its just foul to wear anything you work out in more than once between washings especially something GI that soaks up not only your sweat but who's ever you roll with too.

Maybe its my OCD talking but I really don't see how anyone could wear an unwashed gi that smells worse than a Mexican jail. Idk if any of you know what a Mexican Jail smells like consider your self fortunate

Start printing off pictures of peoples staph infections and ringworm and taking them to class, hand them around and explain where these things come from. Wash every piece of gear you use after every time you use. Use Kenshield. Take a long hot soapy shower immediately after practice. Don't roll with dirty fuckers.

I wash mine after every class, if it is not washed than I will not go to class with a dirty gi.

This is like asking, "Hey, should I just turn the condom inside out, shake that shit out and use the other side?"

That's just good money management right there.
A friend in high school a long time ago once had no rubber .... so he went to the kitchen and wrapped it in glad-wrap (cling-wrap/plastic-wrap)...

i bought 3 gi's for this sole purpose. i wash my gi after practice. i'd hate to be the one that smells like mold

People will say every day, and yes, that's the perfect number, but I know most people don't wash it every single day.

i have 2 gi's that i rotate wash it when you get home and hang dry it where the other gi then by next class its dryed .

its faster in the summer . i want to buy another gi so it will be a sure thing i always have a clean one . the clean white gi represents the samuari they used to bath and were pure white under there armor to be ready for death.

Back