Washing Your Gi...How often?

After every class: its really not worth risking staph. Being smelly is bad enough, but a potentially fatal infection is rather worse.

i cant belive that some of you don't wash it after every time you trian in it! if you train several times in a row... GET A COUPLE OF GI'S!

ugh....

Every other training session here. I try really hard to NOT be the stinky guy at the gym. Having multiple gi's also makes life easier.

I never wear my gi more than once without washing it. Imagine rolling with someone who had ringworm or some shit. You keep that shit on your gi, and put it back on the mat. The same place that you put your face.

i sweat buckets.

so i have to wash after every class.

its even worse in the summer, my gi gets soaked.

Whether you sweat alot or not, you should definitely wash your gi after every class. It's disgusting to roll w/ppl who's gi smells and probably swarms with bacteria.

I wash my gis once a week but i rotate between two of them. I don't get that really scary body funk so it works out OK. I knew one guy who would put his gi in a plastic bag after practice and pull it out the next day. And he did get that scary body funk. thing was wet before we started. I hated rolling with him.

I shall repost.

If you do not wash your gi after every class, you are disgusting.

If you claim that you "don't sweat," you are either not working hard enough, or bullshitting.

I shall repost.

If you do not wash your gi after every class, you are disgusting.

If you claim that you "don't sweat," you are either not working hard enough, or bullshitting.

I guess im disgusting then. :redface:

I have 4 gis, 2 that I like, and 1 that I'm okay with, and 1 that I hate. Mostly I wear the 2 I like, and wash them after practice, hanging them dry the next day. I keep the gis I like less always clean, in case I get lazy, or something happens that I can't wash the favorites.

If you don't wash your gi everyday, you have disgusting hygiene habits.

Definitely every day. If I do two a days I make sure that one of the sessions is without a gi.

ugh, wash after every session!

doesn't this topic come up once every two weeks? should there just be a disclaimer sticky: WASH YOUR FRIGGIN GI AFTER EVERY PRACTICE

Start printing off pictures of peoples staph infections and ringworm and taking them to class, hand them around and explain where these things come from. Wash every piece of gear you use after every time you use. Use Kenshield. Take a long hot soapy shower immediately after practice. Don't roll with dirty fuckers.

Should be a rule

I only have one gi, but I wash it after every class, even if I go to class four nights in a row.

Every single time after you use it. Even for those people saying they train 5x a week and have one gi, that's not an excuse. I throw it in the wash (including my belt) with detergent, jump in the shower and then eat. Once I'm done eating, the wash is usually done, take it out and hang dry it. It should be dry by the next morning.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you or you train 2x a day.. I think it's time to invest in another gi. With the mixture of everyone's sweat on the mat, crap starts to grow on the gi. Doesn't matter whether you sweat or not, if your gi comes in contact with the mat, wash it after use.

I don't understand why people wouldn't wash it after every use.

Back