Media Was Movsar Evloev a downed opponent when Allen landed those knees, or nah?

Downed opponent?

• Total voters
Especially when they are called the "unified ruleset".

Yet they differ from country to country and even state to state.
Exactly why they should be thrown out and hitting a downed opponent should be allowed.
Gaming the system shouldn't be an option sir.

Lemme clear up a few things here, since that poll result is lopsidedly wrong. *(If people are voted that he shouldn't be a grounded fighter, that's one thing, but he was, by definition)

Ontario goes by the OLD RULES, which means ANY contact with the ground other than the feet means you're grounded. Ev was touching the ground for at least one of those. It may be a dumb rule, but it exists, and the fighters are made aware of that.

For those of you who think Goddard is a shit ref, rejoice, because you can still be mad that he should have a) stepped in earlier and b) vocalized to Arnold that Ev was down so Allen could do a better job of avoiding the foul that he can't see or know he's doing.

No, you're allowed to pick people up. As long as they're not touching when contact is made, you're golden. He just didn't do it every time (nor do I think he was purposefully doing it to avoid the foul)

I had always wondered if fighters thought about kicking the hand and THEN going up, or even straight up stomping on it. Don't know if that'd be kosher
yes finger stomps should take care of this problem

Especially when they are called the "unified ruleset".

Yet they differ form country to country and even state to state.
Because it was an attempt to unify. It was made by the ABC, which is a national org and it's creation required a vote by all states and regions (inside the US). Imagine it like senators all voting on a bill, but then the individual states still need to choose to adopt the bill or not after.

Even then, there's no way they'd be able to enforce that in international areas. I get a lot of hate for the rule, but I cant jive with everyone's confusion on this point. Not only had every commission ALWAYS been different, MMA is hardly the first sport to suffer from lack of standardization.

Speaking of, I forgot to answer this before, my bad.
Also, does it mean knees will be legal in China? Soccer kicks in Japan?
I don't know what the deal is with China and Japan. It depends if they have an actual enforcing athletic commission or whether or not they just have an open legality which means that any promotion that holds an event there (who would have to do their own commission responsibilities, something the UFC does in some foreign markets) can choose their rules, which means the UFC would go by unified, while ONE or other Eastern orgs can choose to go fully to town on grounded opponents

Last edited:
he was clearly exploiting the 3-point rule. the difference between a downed and non-downed fighter should be much more than literally lifting your fighter up by a millimeter.

No and it changed that fight. Dude was in a terrible spot and got bailed out.
This is what happens with Dagestan rats they placated to robbery decisions its called pandering

Also drug cheats just like Russians been going on for years

I was rooting for Allen but he was clearly downed.

Are people blind lol

Arnold put that dude in a bad spot.

To escape, the dude started reaching for the ground to try to protect himself from knee strikes. "Fake grounding." It's against the rules.

The ref watched Arnold kneefuck the cheater for a while, then stepped in and rescued the cheater I guess because the cheater reached for the ground so many times that the ref wanted to stop the fight so the ref could tell the cheater to stop reaching for the ground?

It changed the outcome of the fight.

Shoulda let it roll.
Robbed Arnold.

The cheater wasn't down. He was scrambling backwards on his feet and reaching for the ground to try to save himself.

Are people stupid? lol

So, apparently in Ontario its considered illegal? What a clusterfuck these rules are. I guess Arnold should have calculated that in heat of the moment...how fucking dumb.

I think the seconds or third one was and then the last one if I remember right. Either way, it's a dangerous game.

No. MMA needs to punish fighters that try to manipulate the rules to "make themselves a downed fighter". Either you're down or you're not. If you're making any intentional effort to make yourself considered downed, you should be deducted a point.
while im agreement, in this fight, with these rules as they, there is no questions he was a downed opponent.

No and it changed that fight. Dude was in a terrible spot and got bailed out.
But rules as written, he was down.

Legal and was fucking him up with them so not only a robbery on the cards a terrible mistake by the ref
They were illegal. Stick to your "robbery on the cards" argument, even though you fucked that one up too.

This is what happens with Dagestan rats they placated to robbery decisions its called pandering

Also drug cheats just like Russians been going on for years
Calm down, MMA Guru

Arnold put that dude in a bad spot.

To escape, the dude started reaching for the ground to try to protect himself from knee strikes. "Fake grounding." It's against the rules.

The ref watched Arnold kneefuck the cheater for a while, then stepped in and rescued the cheater I guess because the cheater reached for the ground so many times that the ref wanted to stop the fight so the ref could tell the cheater to stop reaching for the ground?

It changed the outcome of the fight.

Shoulda let it roll.
Robbed Arnold.

The cheater wasn't down. He was scrambling backwards on his feet and reaching for the ground to try to save himself.

Are people stupid? lol
"Fake Grounding" is not against the rules. The irony of you needing to do loopholes to call the guy getting fouled a cheater to exonerate the guy who did the fouling.

Are people stupid? Yeah, I'm answering one right now.

So, apparently in Ontario its considered illegal? What a clusterfuck these rules are. I guess Arnold should have calculated that in heat of the moment...how fucking dumb.
I mean, Arnold should probably have just remembered it from when he was told backstage. That would have made his calculations slightly easier

Allan won by TKO refs stoppage, as soon as Goddard stopped it, it was over. They changed the rules, seems Goddard and everyone else forgot. It was the wrong call. Allan won

Apparently Ontario didn't move on and change the rules as everyone else did, however I'm not even convinced his hand was on the mat when the knee landed, looks slightly off the mat. TKO win for Allan no doubt about it

Whatever the technicalities are of lifting a downed opponent or whatever, it's a stupid ass rule and Arnold got fucked.

12-6 is to protect the spine during grappling exchanges. 12-6 to the face from mount should be legal. 12-6 to anywhere other than spine should be legal IMO
Not really. Any atk to the spine is already illegal.

So banning 12-6 is not solely because of the spine, it is because some tard thought it was ultra lethal no matter where it lands

Back