Media Was Movsar Evloev a downed opponent when Allen landed those knees, or nah?

Downed opponent?

• Total voters
No. MMA needs to punish fighters that try to manipulate the rules to "make themselves a downed fighter". Either you're down or you're not. If you're making any intentional effort to make yourself considered downed, you should be deducted a point.

No, Allen strategically picked him up before the knee landed. Honestly this shouldn’t even be a rule at this point. The fact that we’re still having this discussion tells you it needs to be gone.

No, Allen strategically picked him up before the knee landed. Honestly this shouldn’t even be a rule at this point. The fact that we’re still having this discussion tells you it needs to be gone.
Exactly. And it's perfectly legal. That's why MMA should actively punish these clown cowards that try to manipulate the system. If you want to avoid knees, you should be forced to drop to your knees and actually be a downed fighter. Otherwise, you should be deducted a point if you're trying to touch your fingertip to the ground to game the system.

2rzlVThoU1_WzO7Ypo6t1h5ZnQk14oa5N9vNqIbULgM.gif

I thought the third point down had to be weight bearing? It literally looked like he was trying everything to have his fingers on the mat in order to be considered down. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I don't see how it could be. How would you even word that?
Timing a knee is basically impossible, they landed as he was still touching, but i think some places have diferent rules for that kind of thing, just touching with their fingertips its not enough everywhere, it needs to be a full palm or two palms on the mat, iirc Grasso landed something like that to Valentina, Nevada would consider them legal under their latest ruling

I was rooting for Allen but he was clearly downed.

Are people blind lol
I believe you are confusing simply touching the mat with his hand with being a "Downed" opponent. His fingertips are clearly touching the mat. Read the definition of Fouls per the Unified Rules of MMA re Downed Opponent:

12. *Kneeing and/or Kicking the head of a grounded opponent: A grounded fighter is defined as:Any part of the body, other sole of the feet touching the fighting area floor. To be grounded, the palm of one hand (a flat palm) must be down, and/or any other body part must be touching thefighting area floor. A single knee, arm, (not fingers) makes the fighter grounded without havingto have any other body part in touch with the fighting area floor. At this time, kicks or knees tothe head will not be allowed.

That in itself was a momentum killer for Allen, finally when the tide was turning. Terrible call. Every single knee that landed his fingers came up off the mat before the knee landed. This is why they should allow knees to the head of a grounded opponent because of bs like this. Calls that are too close to call

Terrible decision.

No doubt DC was creaming himself about the outcome with his scuffed commentary.

The company ought to overturn this decision. They won’t though.

Back