Was It A Case Of Weidman Being So Good...Or Munoz Being So Bad

Weidman should fight Rockhold and if he's able to beat him he should receive a title shot.

No matter who weidman would have beat people would say his opponent sucks. That is the joy of fighting in the middle weight division.

Munoz was never that good but Weidman is certainly a good fighter. Munoz shouldn't have been in the top 5 and everybody knows that.

I dont think other contenders would HAVE done as well against Munoz as weidman did. MM is a tough guy, and theres very few fighters who have the ability to neutralize his wrestling and damage him that easily standing up. Weidman has a great combination of skills.

Having said that, he would HAVE looked completely different against silva. I don't think Weidman has been tested against really high level strikers yet.

kaufman03 said:
how was munoz rated as top 3?
non sense

what did munoz do to climb no 3 position?

This is a dumb question people need to stop asking at MW.

SImilar to the question of asking people to justify the title shot of Weidman.

The better question is for those same people to make the case for any other MW's being above Munoz, at that time? Also at MW who has a better case for a title shot at MW then Weidman?

Look MW is a weak division. You can tear down any guy by focusing on their record and that of their opponents. But what you cannot do is show why others deserved to clearly be ranked above Munoz or why anyone else deserves the shot more then Weidman.

the most ironic thing is that after tearing these guys down the same Anderson fans promote Bisping without demanding we question their record.

I'm pretty sure Bisping would tool Weidman. Weidman has not been all that impressive IMO.

Add to the fact he's quite frail
and he really does not have a big upside to him.

No matter who weidman would have beat people would say his opponent sucks. That is the joy of fighting in the middle weight division.

Yup.

When Weidman was first given Boetsch as his next fight Anderson fans were screaming he was being given the easiest road to the title and he should instead fight guys like Palharas or Belcher to prove himself.

Guarantee you had he fought and beat Palharas or Belcher the exact same complaint would exist.

Fact is Okami is the sole guy at MW who would be a consistent good win right now. And not every contender can be forced to go thru one guy so if instead you are scoring the highest ranked and best wins of the rest of the contender pack, in a weak division, then that is good enough.

People at Reign said Munoz was sick and cutting from 250 not too long before the fight. That said, Weidman was extremely good in that fight too. So both

I'm pretty sure Bisping would tool Weidman. Weidman has not been all that impressive IMO.

Add to the fact he's quite frail
and he really does not have a big upside to him.

Put your fear aside and explain how Bisping has been impressive?

:)
Munoz was never that good but Weidman is certainly a good fighter. Munoz shouldn't have been in the top 5 and everybody knows that.

Speak for yourself. You're giving Creedence to to the idea of MW being the weakest division in the UFC. As fighters wash out of LHW do they instantly become contenders in the MW division?

His hype doesn't just come from Munoz.

It also comes from the fact he has ADCC level BJJ. He made it to the 2nd round of ADCC with 1 year BJJ training. One of the most impressive BJJ accomplishments maybe ever. To go along with some of the best BJJ in MMA, he's got some of the best wrestling. Stand out college wrestler who has wins over some of the best MMA wrestlers at 205, and has easily taken down everyone he's wrestled in MMA including Munoz.

Dude shows incredible signs of potential and skill. People are naturally resistant to hype trains, but some of them are real. Jones, Aldo, JDS, Cain, and many more were all hype trains at one point.

Mixture.
Munoz was rated top 3 only because many other fighters who happened to have recent loses (due to being in high profile fights) and a win against Maia which he barely deserved, as you said the man got outstruck for stretches by Maia, got taken down by Leben, was getting handled by Grove early etc etc.
Munoz was never THAT good, he was a decent midlevel fighter on a good run in a thin division, pretty much anyone that knew this thought Weidman would beat him convincingly. A hard hitter with okay takedowns and a really good scramble and beat GnP

Weidman is really good though,he handled Munoz even more thoroughly than I expected - especially given that he beat Munoz in the scramble during the first round, dominated him infact. That was huge.

But yeah, mixture of both. Weidman is a great prospect and I'd love to see him fight Anderson infact I think he'd beat Silva under the right circumstances, but lets not pretend he's accomplished anything great in his career that warrants the sheer amount of hype behind him.

Very well said. Munoz was extremely over-hyped at the time and Weidman was just really coming onto the scene.

Alessio Sakara had no trouble stuffing Weidmans takedowns until he gassed.

There is no reason to think Silva-Weidman wouldnt look like Silva-Okami or Silva-Bonnar.

You guys are giving Weidman ctedit for things hes never done.
Seriously, it's like no one's seen Silva fight before.

Is it really that hard to believe that he'd be able to take out a guy with less wins than he has title defenses.

I don't care if I have to wait a year for it, I want Silva's next fights to be against GSP, then Bones.

Weidman can wait, shit.

Seriously, it's like no one's seen Silva fight before.

Is it really that hard to believe that he'd be able to take out a guy with less wins than he has title defenses.

I don't care if I have to wait a year for it, I want Silva's next fights to be against GSP, then Bones.

Weidman can wait, shit.

But those fights are obviously not going to happen

Weidman looked good, and he is a great fighter, but Munoz also looked terrible.

It helped prove that Weidman was legit and not some fluke, but at the same point doesn't prove that hes gonna wreck everyone in the division (other than silva of course).

Back