Was It A Case Of Weidman Being So Good...Or Munoz Being So Bad

Well even if people are hell bent on Munoz being 'overrated', the way Weidman destroyed him was absolutely beastly.

He had taken him down easily, beaten him in the scrambles, on the ground (Munoz greatest assets), locked in few submission attempts... And then all but KO'd Munoz with standing elbow.

That was trashing.

Munoz struggled with a lot of these guys, but he beat them. Constantly beating those mid tier fighters is enough to tell me he's a second tier fighter in that division. When a fighter is as green as Weidman is, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on most occasions. Weidman took the Sakara and Maia fights on short notice, so I'll give him a pass on those. Also, I like to judge fighters on their best day, not their worst days. Anybody can have a bad day and like Weidman did against Maia, but not everyone can do what Chris did to Munoz even on their best day.

That said, I do want to see Weidman fight more. The only fight out there right now is the Lombard fight, which is a good fight to make.

But he's only had his 'best day' one time. He's had is 'worst days' a few times. I guess I just need to see more before I can be confidant in calling him an elite fighter. Time will tell I suppose.

And I agree, Lombard would be the best fight for him. If not Lombard than Costa or Okami would make sense but wouldn't be that compelling.

Munoz is a good fighter he's never been great though. Beating him and Maia shouldn't be grounds for a mandatory title shot. If weidman is as good as many think he is, he'll get his shot soon enough. One more impressive victory should do it

It's funny that people shit on Maia and Munoz wins but really what wins at mw are impressive? Munoz resume is still just as good as bisping's and Maia was an elite mw for a long time.

Every mw contender has flaws, so any win people will shit on weidman for.

Munoz was very overrated at the time, and Weidman is very skilled. So both, I guess.

Munoz isn't that great and Weidman is looking very good. I don't disagree with all your points but let's not kid ourselves; Bisping would've beaten Munoz by decision, much less impressively, and you'd probably be calling that a "whooping" and talking about how great Munoz is if that had happened.

Munoz absolutely was painfully overrated, many aggregate sites listing him as the number 3 MW for the longest time. Which was laughable.

That being said though Weidman is legit. Hasn't quite earned a title shot yet but I'd say he's only one or two big wins away.

Kind of a mix to me,

On the one hand, I felt that Munoz was ranked much higher then I felt his ability warranted, and his wins over key fighters were not to be taken at face value...Similar to Botech honestly where he is ranked high at MW based on his wins over Lombard and Okami, yet we all knew his rank really was not right...Munoz has skills, but people need to realize he also was coming off surgery, and he had moments in all those fights that made me think "really?" Like when Leben took him down, or when Maia out struck him

On the other hand, Chris is a very good prospect with a hype train...but when I watch him fight I am thinking to myself "could be pose a significant challenge to Anderson" and the answer is just no. His wrestling is good, his hands are solid, and has submissions skills...very well rounded, solid fighter...However I just have not seen what makes people think he is this ultra killer that is going to knock off both Anderson silva at middleweight and Bones jones at Light heavy...I just dont see it yet with the fights he has done. I admit, it might be that his showing against Maia was just that unimpressive to me, or that I just dont think the guys he beat were that impressive of wins...Idk, but I am still on the fence on this guy...is he a damn good fighter? Yes! Is he the future of the MW division? To early to tell...

Personally, the talk of Anderson "ducking him" is laughable to me. I would like to see him fight against a top level contender...maybe the winner of Vitor/Bisping...I would say Sonnen but Anderson chased him to LHW lol

I am still not 100% on Weidman just want to keep seeing him fight.

Gassed multiple times before? I didn't see him gas against Nate, Okami, Filho, Stann, Bisping, or Anderson. There is no reason to think Weidman won't be on his back like all of these guys were.

And it took a round and a half for Weidman to take Sakara down. His mma wrestling has not been proven.

He gassed against all of those opponents except Silva first fight (and I mentioned earlier why he didn

A little bit of both. Munoz cut from 240 in a month for that fight and looked worse than he did in his previous fights.

People who believe Wediman would beat Andy are simply hoping for the next bad ass who can stay undefeated, thats all. Has nothing to do with Andy's skill, its just wishful thinking by fans of this sport who love undefeated records and are sick of the same guy winning. I don't feel this way, Andy wins however he wants, as usual

Kind of a mix to me,

On the one hand, I felt that Munoz was ranked much higher then I felt his ability warranted, and his wins over key fighters were not to be taken at face value...Similar to Botech honestly where he is ranked high at MW based on his wins over Lombard and Okami, yet we all knew his rank really was not right...Munoz has skills, but people need to realize he also was coming off surgery, and he had moments in all those fights that made me think "really?" Like when Leben took him down, or when Maia out struck him

On the other hand, Chris is a very good prospect with a hype train...but when I watch him fight I am thinking to myself "could be pose a significant challenge to Anderson" and the answer is just no. His wrestling is good, his hands are solid, and has submissions skills...very well rounded, solid fighter...However I just have not seen what makes people think he is this ultra killer that is going to knock off both Anderson silva at middleweight and Bones jones at Light heavy...I just dont see it yet with the fights he has done. I admit, it might be that his showing against Maia was just that unimpressive to me, or that I just dont think the guys he beat were that impressive of wins...Idk, but I am still on the fence on this guy...is he a damn good fighter? Yes! Is he the future of the MW division? To early to tell...

Personally, the talk of Anderson "ducking him" is laughable to me. I would like to see him fight against a top level contender...maybe the winner of Vitor/Bisping...I would say Sonnen but Anderson chased him to LHW lol

I agree that his fight with Maia was incredibly lackluster but to be fair to Weidman he did take it on like a week's notice. Every other fight I've seen him in he has looked like a killer, he's a big strong wrestler with incredible finishing ability.

It's true that he has a bit of hype behind him (though I feel he's warranted most of it), but I think that hype has had a bit of an inverse effect on him because many people like to unfairly discredit him just because his train might be moving a little faster than it should be.

He hasn't shown me that he can beat Anderson Silva but I have a hard time not respecting a man who comes to kill in his fights.

Back