Was It A Case Of Weidman Being So Good...Or Munoz Being So Bad

FightOrDie007

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Weidman is very good, but the people who think he'll simply tool Anderson - are way off the mark in my opinion. Munoz didn't look 100 percent when I watched that fight - but when a guy gets in a cage to fight, the excuses go out the window. I would like to see Weidman with one more top five win (he beat Munoz, and of course Maia who now fights at 170) before he fights Anderson. But that's just me...

Yea, no way would he tool Anderson Silva. If anyone would of it would of been Sonnen because Sonnen is the most relentless in your face wrestler in the division.

Mixture.
Munoz was rated top 3 only because many other fighters who happened to have recent loses (due to being in high profile fights) and a win against Maia which he barely deserved, as you said the man got outstruck for stretches by Maia, got taken down by Leben, was getting handled by Grove early etc etc.
Munoz was never THAT good, he was a decent midlevel fighter on a good run in a thin division, pretty much anyone that knew this thought Weidman would beat him convincingly. A hard hitter with okay takedowns and a really good scramble and beat GnP

Weidman is really good though,he handled Munoz even more thoroughly than I expected - especially given that he beat Munoz in the scramble during the first round, dominated him infact. That was huge.

But yeah, mixture of both. Weidman is a great prospect and I'd love to see him fight Anderson infact I think he'd beat Silva under the right circumstances, but lets not pretend he's accomplished anything great in his career that warrants the sheer amount of hype behind him.

Yea, no way would he tool Anderson Silva. If anyone would of it would of been Sonnen because Sonnen is the most relentless in your face wrestler in the division.

Sonnen doesn't have the tools that Weidman has, weidman can submit standing or on the ground and has great GNP and uses elbows. He can wrestle at a high level and has the striking and BJJ that Sonnen does not have.

No one has ever said weidman would tool Silva, they say he has the strength and wrestling to beat Silva. He is a top division wrestler who if I am not mistaken beat Bader and Phil Davis in Div 1 wrestling and is indeed a top division wrestler.

Weidman also has a very strong top game and has a larger reach then Silva, the fight is a no brainer.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I saw the fight, but I remember having a new respect for Weidmann after watching it. He took it to Munoz on the ground and on the feet. Munoz was completely outclassed. Does that say much about Weidmann? I guess we'll find out in his next fight.

Munoz had a shitty haircut that fight

Weidman is good, but Munoz isn't and never was a top 5 MW imo.

Probably both. Although in the MW division...anyone with top 10 wins is a good fighter. Such an odd division.

Munoz just isn't that good a fighter, but he was the #3 MW in the world. It was merely a case of an elite fighter taking out a non-elite fighter.

Sonnen doesn't have the tools that Weidman has, weidman can submit standing or on the ground and has great GNP and uses elbows. He can wrestle at a high level and has the striking and BJJ that Sonnen does not have.

No one has ever said weidman would tool Silva, they say he has the strength and wrestling to beat Silva. He is a top division wrestler who beat Bader and Phil in wrestling and is indeed a top division wrestler.

He is also a very big MW, has the reach of Silva and is a very good fighter and a future MW champion IMO. I would like to see the fight

yes they do

how was munoz rated as top 3?
non sense

what did munoz do to climb no 3 position?

non sense

Well having a wrestling background automatically adds at least 2 more ranks to a fighters position.

non sense

How difficult is it to be a top fighter at MW if boestch was one.

Some people are trying to tippy toe around the question but middle weight has been a bit weak.

Munoz being a top division fighter is par for the course in that division. I would like to know how Boestch became a top 10 fighter but I already know the answer to that.

Munoz is overrated? only a whitebelt would make such a stupid thread

How difficult is it to be a top fighter at MW if boestch was one.

Some people are trying to tippy toe around the question but middle weight has been a bit weak for some time.

mw is weak but it is not as weak as munoz climbing no 3

so he was top 3 because other fighters lose but not to munoz

at least boetsch beat okami

I think Weidman is that good, and I think Silva-Weidman is a very interesting fight. Weidman has a good shot at beating Silva, allthough Silva obviously is the favorite. I don't mind Weidman having another fight before though. I do however mind Silva and GSP lobbying for fights like they have lately.

Here's a prediction from a thread from January 2012.

Wiedman is going to pown Maia, then Munoz, then Silva will duck him.

Not bad :D

yes they do

Tool Silva ??? I have never seen that on Sherdog and I dont think the majority of people who want to see the fight think Weidman would tool Silva.

What I do agree with is that Weidman has the skills to beat SIlva. I think Silva's management already knows this.

They are looking to give bisping a match with Silva but always have some funny comment for Weidman. If the kid is an easy fight which Silvas management like to make known then it should be relatively easy for Silva and a walk in the park.

Hopefully the fight happens and we can put this situation to bed.

Back