Was It A Case Of Weidman Being So Good...Or Munoz Being So Bad

Sonnen doesn't have the tools that Weidman has, weidman can submit standing or on the ground and has great GNP and uses elbows. He can wrestle at a high level and has the striking and BJJ that Sonnen does not have.

No one has ever said weidman would tool Silva, they say he has the strength and wrestling to beat Silva. He is a top division wrestler who if I am not mistaken beat Bader and Phil Davis in Div 1 wrestling and is indeed a top division wrestler.

Weidman also has a very strong top game and has a larger reach then Silva, the fight is a no brainer.

Well he won't submit SIlva so the submissions don't matter besept for in defence which is one advantage he has over Sonnen as I doubt SIlva would submit Weidman. Also, Sonnen's striking is not bad and I wouldn't say Weidman has much of an advantage over him in that area and definately not on the same level as Anderson's striking so his reach doesn't even matter.

i didnt think munoz would have done that bad. didnt look like he showed up to fight

Tool Silva ??? I have never seen that on Sherdog and I dont think the majority of people who want to see the fight think Weidman would tool Silva.

What I do agree with is that Weidman has the skills to beat SIlva. I think Silva's management already knows this.

They are looking to give bisping a match with Silva but always have some funny comment for Weidman. If the kid is an easy fight which Silvas management like to make known then it should be relatively easy for Silva and a walk in the park.

Hopefully the fight happens and we can put this situation to bed.

Really? Go in some of the Silva-Ducking threads, it was rampant especially after Silva took the fight against Bonnar. Admittedly it was known haters, but still it's been said multiple times.

Munoz is lower top-10 at best...not the kind of guy you beat for a title shot.

Weidman would tool Bisping....

Munoz just isn't that good a fighter, but he was the #3 MW in the world. It was merely a case of an elite fighter taking out a non-elite fighter.

What has Weidman done to prove hes elite? You yourself state that his best victory is over a guy who just isnt that good.

Im not saying he isnt but what are you basing your conclusion on?

Give Weidman a fight with Yushin "Thunder" when he comes back, then we'll find out if he's ready.

Tool Silva ??? I have never seen that on Sherdog and I dont think the majority of people who want to see the fight think Weidman would tool Silva.

What I do agree with is that Weidman has the skills to beat SIlva. I think Silva's management already knows this.

They are looking to give bisping a match with Silva but always have some funny comment for Weidman. If the kid is an easy fight which Silvas management like to make known then it should be relatively easy for Silva and a walk in the park.

Hopefully the fight happens and we can put this situation to bed.

Alessio Sakara had no trouble stuffing Weidmans takedowns until he gassed.

There is no reason to think Silva-Weidman wouldnt look like Silva-Okami or Silva-Bonnar.

You guys are giving Weidman ctedit for things hes never done.

What has Weidman done to prove hes elite? You yourself state that his best victory is over a guy who just isnt that good.

Im not saying he isnt but what are you basing your conclusion on?

When you match up a fighter with a guy who is completely out of his league, you get a fight like Weidman/Munoz. Now even though I don't think very highly of Munoz AT ALL, he's still a second tier MW. Beating him in the fashion that he did, shows me that Weidman is a top tier MW.

Weidman is the real deal. He stylistically a very tough opponent for Silva. He has a much better shot than anyone else in the division at beating Silva. Bisping is a total waste of fight for Anderson i you want to see him challenged. He

weidman is def good and shows alot mof potential but munoz was hardly a top 3 MW...that ranking was the biggest joke of all time...

Bisping, Sonnen, Okami, Stann etc all had recent losses, and he beat Maia

That still doesnt grant you a number 3 ranking. His ranking is ridiculous and has done absolutely nothing to warrant the ranking. He was gifted a win over maia, so now that makes you top 3?

Well he won't submit SIlva so the submissions don't matter besept for in defence which is one advantage he has over Sonnen as I doubt SIlva would submit Weidman. Also, Sonnen's striking is not bad and I wouldn't say Weidman has much of an advantage over him in that area and definately not on the same level as Anderson's striking so his reach doesn't even matter.

Sonnens striking is awful, his footwork is just plain horrible. When Sonnen gasses in the second or third round I think Weidman would take him down and submit him.

When you match up a fighter with a guy who is completely out of his league, you get a fight like Weidman/Munoz. Now even though I don't think very highly of Munoz AT ALL, he's still a second tier MW. Beating him in the fashion that he did, shows me that Weidman is a top tier MW.

I see. I would point out that Munoz has struggled with plenty of mid tier fighters before so beating him, even destroying him, doesn't necessarily make one an elite fighter. Especially when you look at the other victories said fighter has had. Weidman looked like he never threw a punch before against Sakara and couldn't take him down until he gassed. The Maia fight was atrocious as well.

But fair enough. This isn't a totally illogical conclusion.

Sonnens striking is awful, his footwork is just plain horrible. When Sonnen gasses in the second or third round I think Weidman would take him down and submit him.

What makes you think Weidman won't be on his back for 3 or 5 rounds against Sonnen like everyone else?

I see. I would point out that Munoz has struggled with plenty of mid tier fighters before so beating him, even destroying him, doesn't necessarily make one an elite fighter. Especially when you look at the other victories said fighter has had. Weidman looked like he never threw a punch before against Sakara and couldn't take him down until he gassed. The Maia fight was atrocious as well.

But fair enough. This isn't a totally illogical conclusion.

Munoz struggled with a lot of these guys, but he beat them. Constantly beating those mid tier fighters is enough to tell me he's a second tier fighter in that division. When a fighter is as green as Weidman is, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on most occasions. Weidman took the Sakara and Maia fights on short notice, so I'll give him a pass on those. Also, I like to judge fighters on their best day, not their worst days. Anybody can have a bad day and like Weidman did against Maia, but not everyone can do what Chris did to Munoz even on their best day.

That said, I do want to see Weidman fight more. The only fight out there right now is the Lombard fight, which is a good fight to make.

He is a top division wrestler who if I am not mistaken beat Bader and Phil Davis in Div 1 wrestling.

Beat Davis? Wow, that's incredibly impressive.

That still doesnt grant you a number 3 ranking. His ranking is ridiculous and has done absolutely nothing to warrant the ranking. He was gifted a win over maia, so now that makes you top 3?

He beat Maia who was ranked 6th at the time. Then Marquardt, who was above him, didn't fight/moved to WW. Okami lost to the no-name Boetsch and neither of them was above him after that. Jacare lost to the no-name Rockhold. That's 3 guys who were above him who dropped out of the rankings, taking his no. 6 spot to no. 3.

That said, I do want to see Weidman fight more.

This should be everyone's main take on Weidman, simply getting him more fights. Even if he has to beat up on the Brian Stann's of the world he needs more ring time to correctly evaluate how good he actually is

Luke Rockhold and Lombard are the fights to make for him

Back