War Room Lounge v53: Short Notice

How do you sleep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Robert Sapolsky fans itt?

I liked his early stuff, but then he sold out and went pop. Good to see him getting some recognition but it sucks that no one appreciates what really makes him such a great ... whatever it is that he does (composer? soccer?).

I never saw it in 4.5 years of being an in Court clerk.

I've seen screaming and yelling back and forth in the Clerk's Office between two parties in a contentious divorce that has children involved. I've seen victim families outright say during sentencing the defendant should be tortured cause of what they did and stuff like that, never seen a physical altercation.

Interesting. Thanks. Seeing the man who killed your mom (beyond a reasonable doubt) I would think would cause more people's willpower to snap. Guess not.

In terms of shaping the behavior of society, the criminal justice system as it stands today will be seen by future people as a blunt and primitive instrument. Every day, we progress in establishing causal relationships between states of mind, physical and emotional trauma, genetics, diet, education and many other factors which establish that our ability to avoid certain behaviors is far less in our control than we legally presume.

A revolution is coming, and it will greatly increase the justness of our justice while it redirects our punishments toward treatments. It's critical that we embrace the science and let go of our vengeance. Each day that we call for longer sentences or harsher conditions is another day that widens the gap between our discoveries about human beings and our treatment of them.

Last edited:
I liked his early stuff, but then he sold out and went pop. Good to see him getting some recognition but it sucks that no one appreciates what really makes him such a great ... whatever it is that he does (composer? soccer?).
lmao

I had this type of imagined response in my head when I asked the question.

I enjoy his lectures.
I wasn't drawn to him for free will stuff, just for the record. His explanations of depression and other mental ills are awesome for somebody like me who has no education there.

lmao

I had this type of imagined response in my head when I asked the question.

Any book recs? I recently read Joseph Henrich's "The Secret of Our Success," and it was pretty amazing. Seems like his work might be along similar lines just from reading his wiki page.

A pair of sons of a murdered mom jumped the convicted killer at his sentencing

Why couldn't these cops be the doughnut eater type? The brothers are gonna have 30 days in jail for contempt which I get, just wish there could have been a.better beat down given before cops got control of the situation. Red shirt got a few good licks in before he got tased.

@Gregolian, how often do attempts like this get made in a courtroom?

In Canada, there was a famous case where a guy decapitated a 19 year old man on a bus and ate him. Because he was straight up looney tunes he was found ''not criminally responsible,'' and wound up in the mental health system. He was eventually cleared and released back into society after being institutionalized for like...8 years or something.

I actually can't understand why that person's father doesn't take matters into his own hands. I mean, I get the justice angle: it's one of those logical things that ends up feeling wrong and gross, even if you are forced to agree with it as a rational human being. But I don't understand what's keeping him back. He fucking ate your kid.

Interesting. Thanks. Seeing the man who killed your mom (beyond a reasonable doubt) I would think would cause more people's willpower to snap. Guess not.
Granted the courtrooms in my home town there is a ton of distance between where the public sits and in-custody defendant's sit plus if it's for a sentencing on a case like that there's like 5 jail deputies present for the 1 guy to deter that sort of reaction.

I wasn't drawn to him for free will stuff, just for the record. His explanations of depression and other mental ills are awesome for somebody like me who has no education there.

Well, you weren't drawn to him because you don't have free will. You just sorta....oozed your way over to him according to the laws of statistical mechanics.

A pair of sons of a murdered mom jumped the convicted killer at his sentencing

Why couldn't these cops be the doughnut eater type? The brothers are gonna have 30 days in jail for contempt which I get, just wish there could have been a.better beat down given before cops got control of the situation. Red shirt got a few good licks in before he got tased.

@Gregolian, how often do attempts like this get made in a courtroom?

All in all, not bad for a courtroom beating. They got some good shots in there. Usually those emotional rage fit attempts to get their hands on the convicted don't make it that far.

wow, just when I thought The Swamp couldn't get worse, I learned yesterday that Steve Mnuchin is basically the guy who killed Sears.

The tl;dr version is:
- He ran a venture capital firm that bought a major stake in the company under the premise of turning it around when everyone else said the company was insolvent
- Instead of fixing the company, they sold all the valuable assets and used to profits on dividends and stock buybacks to themselves
- Then they declared bankruptcy and defaulted on the company's debts, screwing over creditors
- Besides costing thousands of employees their jobs, he's also trying to destroy their pension funds
- The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), a federally chartered corporation tasked with protecting pension benefits in the private sector, was lead by a competent director until he was fired by Trump in 2018
- The person whom Trump successfully nominated to back-fill the position was someone with zero qualifications or relevant experience
- Said director has not taken any action to keep Sears accountable for their pension obligations to their former employees
- That person, Gordon Hartogensis, just so happens to be Mitch McConnell's brother in law

Last edited:
Any book recs? I recently read Joseph Henrich's "The Secret of Our Success," and it was pretty amazing. Seems like his work might be along similar lines just from reading his wiki page.
I've only started Behave which is his 2017 tome. Haven't read any of his stuff. He's unique by being both a leading endocrinologist and primatologist.

LOL at Trump saying that AOC is "disrespectful" toward Pelosi. You can't make this shit up.

LOL at Trump saying that AOC is "disrespectful" toward Pelosi. You can't make this shit up.
Pelosi has been calling for people to stfu about impeachment while AOC has been screaming for it, so he takes Pelosi's side. Standard Trump stuff.

wow, just when I thought The Swamp couldn't get worse, I learned yesterday that Steve Mnuchin is basically the guy who killed Sears.

The tl;dr version is:
- He ran a venture capital firm that bought a major stake in the company under the premise of turning it around when everyone else said the company was insolvent
- Instead of fixing the company, they sold all the valuable assets and used to profits on dividends and stock buybacks to themselves
- Then they declared bankruptcy and defaulted on the company's debts and screwing creditors
- Besides costing thousands of employees their jobs, he's also trying to destroy their pension funds
- The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), a federally chartered corporation tasked with protecting pension benefits in the private sector, was lead by a competent director until he was fired by Trump in 2018
- The person whom Trump nominated to back-fill the position is someone with zero qualifications or relevant experience
- Said director has not taken any action to keep Sears accountable for their pension obligations to their former employees
- That person, Gordon Hartogensis, just so happens to be Mitch McConnell's brother in law
Absolutely revolting

Well, you weren't drawn to him because you don't have free will. You just sorta....oozed your way over to him according to the laws of statistical mechanics.
True, but my consciousness experienced this oozing as free will.

The tl;dr version is:
- Then they declared bankruptcy and defaulted on the company's debts and screwing over creditors
- The person whom Trump nominated to back-fill the position is someone with zero qualifications or relevant experience

It's really impossible to relay to laymen, let alone Republican voters who are predisposed against heeding criticisms of Republicans, the true scope of this administration's corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back