War Room Lounge V43: STEM is Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching @Limbo Pete arguing against his obsolescence thanks to the hivemind.

IwmUDKC.png

I let you bang bro.
The hivemind is trash.
Trash, I say!

You STEM and Humanities guys are ALL going to be replaced by bots and robots.

The future is going to be sports and YouTube stars.

Kardashians have known this for a while

Only kinda joking

Of course not, someone had to teach me programing, orbital mechanics, etc. Needed input, brain storming sessions, several design drafts, a whole lot of debate
I think if I were to phrase the same idea in a more favorable way, it would be agreeable.

Like, "In general, people going into STEM programs tend to be more self-sufficient in their studies and have backgrounds/interests that better prepare them for their programs and are more goal-oriented, as compared to HASS students."

You STEM and Humanities :eek::eek::eek:s are ALL going to be replaced by bots and robots.

Only kinda joking

I wholeheartedly believe you're honestly not far off. I'm on the record as saying social currency is going to replace actual currency when (hopefully AI) robots start displacing large swaths of people.

It's something we gotta think about, preferably sooner rather than later.

I wholeheartedly believe you're honestly not far off. I'm on the record as saying social currency is going to replace actual currency when (hopefully AI) robots start displacing large swaths of people.

It's something we gotta think about, preferably sooner rather than later.

I mean it makes sense.

The agricultural revolution took care of our need to find sustenance. Industrial revolution took care of physical needs and wants. Tech is taking care of services.

Entertainment and recreation is all we have left.

I think if I were to phrase the same idea in a more favorable way, it would be agreeable.

Like, "In general, people going into STEM programs tend to be more self-sufficient in their studies and have backgrounds/interests that better prepare them for their programs and are more goal-oriented, as compared to HASS students."

I can't speak to the states but in Canada that comment would be true. Due to the fact that students applying for stem majors have to go through more rigorous application process with an emphasis higher grade averages. The process was you needed 6 prep courses to apply (can take as many as you want but 6 minimum as they take your top 6 averages) - HASS only required an English plus 5 of your choice and minimum 70 grade average. STEM and medical streams required English, calc, Chem, physics, algebra and one of your choice with an 80 -95 average depending on major and school.

So yeah, they were more focused heading into post secondary

Only kinda joking

Yeesh, accountants are first on the chopping block...better get that resume ready.

Side note: I read that women would trust robotic surgery over robotic hair stylists - so we should be nicer to gays as they will be the last of the employed

Only kinda joking
Aren't you an accountant?

Yeesh, accountants are first on the chopping block...better get that resume ready.

Side note: I read that women would trust robotic surgery over robotic hair stylists - so we should be nicer to gays as they will be the last of the employed

With my drinking and eating habits I won't need to worry

Aren't you an accountant?

Yup, we're all going down to AI and robotics.

Luckily I'm no longer a grunt so I'll at least have a few years where I just review our future overlords work to make sure it's running smoothly

Isn't this line graph of polling data on military spending incredible? Look at the "% Too little" line specifically.

While I won't pretend there aren't obvious variable events (9/11, etc.), it seems to otherwise show pretty perfectly the cyclical fear mongering of the Republican Party, such that fears about war and so on are ramped up during Democratic administrations and then dissipate into thin air once a Republican takes office. The "too little" sentiment climbs to an all-time high leading up to Reagan's election, then immediately drops 70%. Then it continues to drop through three Republican presidencies to a near all-time low. Then Clinton is elected and it slowly triples over his presidency. Then it immediately drops upon GWB's election and then makes it's slow climb during the post-GFC Obama era.

vctr9lmsaewl4swmnivdna.png

Last edited:
Yup, we're all going down to AI and robotics.

Luckily I'm no longer a grunt so I'll at least have a few years where I just review our future overlords work to make sure it's running smoothly
Same, I’m just glad I’m a supervisor.

But of course what I’m really hoping for is to become Robocop myself. That’s been my dream since I was 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back