War Room Lounge V43: STEM is Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many.
A lot of people only read his pulpy 80s stuff, which I enjoy as well, but a lot of it got too weird or crazy (this was the height of his drug days). For example, I usually recommend people avoid The Dark Half and Gerald's Game. Honestly, I think his best work can be found in short story collections, of which there are many to choose from. Skeleton Crew is a great place to start, and it has my favorite short story of all time "Cain Rose Up", in it. King is best imo when writing descriptive yet strange content with minimal explanation for how or why something is happening.
I don't read much for fun any more, but my brother recently gave me a copy of a very very short King book called "Elevation". It's about a guy that is inexplicably losing weight without losing mass. It's really pretty outstanding imo, and short enough to read on a train or airplane ride in one go. As for full novels, one of my all time favorites is "The Long Walk". I could go on and on. Loves me some Stephen King.
To be fair, none of those recs are really based their similarity to 11/22/63.

So full disclosure, I have hardly read anything of Stephen King. I saw some 80s movies based on his books and was dissuaded.

But a couple years ago, I read 11/22/63 and enjoyed it immensely. Based on that, any recommendations?
Stick with his early work, imo. To me he starts going off the rails right around Insomnia. I kinda just lost interest in reading his work after Desperation or thereabouts and haven't read anything of his since.

The Stand, The Shining, Misery, and IT are must reads. Misery is the only one of them that doesn't have anything supernatural going on, if that's what you prefer, but they're all examples of his absolute best writing.

If you enjoy them you can just go down the chronological list from Carrie forward to about the early 90's and you won't be disappointed, except maybe by the odd one here and there (Firestarter I'm looking at you).

Pretty sure Pattinson is gonna blow him out the water, he’s a stellar actor.
Wtf?! When did that happen?! No... just no...

Women getting elected to head of state can be a bad sign IMO. Look at the developing countries where it has happened, the woman in question is almost always related to some previous head of state, often their daughter. I know you specified Western and developed but in our case that almost happened as well; does anyone really believe that Hillary Clinton being married to a former president is unrelated to how close she got to the highest office?
May, Merkel, Campbell (Canadian PM way back)? Who were they related to? And if anything, what you said is just further proof the women's movement hasn't come as far as many (men) would like to suggest, which was the point, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back