Social War Room Lounge v260: Pls no bully Geg

Best bourbon cocktail?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're really hitting homeruns tonight. Good commentary in re Superman and Ironman. I agree about the toxic play boy portrayal in the latter, although I didn't take as much issue with it until I saw it again years later.

I didn't see Homecoming, but I meant to mention the Raimi Spiderman films as being pretty good. I still wouldn't call them definitively good films, but they were well above most. I really liked the lighting and cinematography. I felt they struck a nice balance of a comic-tinted real world. Not gritty or gothic like Batman, but no music video pop like the later Marvel movies.
In defense of the MCU portrayal of the Iron Man character they do sometimes try to frame his play boy lifestyle in a negative light or as being flaw. But they indulge it way too much for my liking.

Another thing I hate about him is that he represents this trend I see in a lot of popular characters whereby the smart character is always a condescending asshole. Iron Man is one, Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty is another, Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock is another Lots of them. Meanwhile kindness and empathy are correlated with naivety and simple mindedness. Really hate that.
My favorite depiction other than The Dark Knight was the Mask of the Phantasm.

No real backstory for the Joker there, other than him formerly being a mob enforcer or hired gun at some point, but he serves to represent a specter of the past and the prior misdeeds of the characters (although the titular Phantasm is facially represented as that). With the climax occurring in that decrepit futuristic theme park, representing the idealistic future that never happened and just sits, rotting and haunted. He's the embodiment of what time has wrought: similar to what Kafir said, he's the complete corruption, the Phantasm is the incomplete corruption, and Batman/Bruce Wayne is the still-pure tragic hero. Just beautiful stuff for an animated movie.

@Khabib Khanate
I love that movie. Its great for all the reasons you mentioned but I also really love Bruce Timm's character designs and Shirley Walker's score.

I always thought that a great plot line for a blockbuster crossover between Superman and Batman would be to adapt the animated World's Finest crossover from the late 90s. The plot is that the Joker steals a dragon sculpture made of kryptonite, goes to Metropolis, and presents Lex Luthor with an offer to kill Superman in exchange for $1 billion. Batman is on the Joker's heels and moves to Metropolis to find him. Lots of fun moments; Superman and Batman meet up and find out each others identities, Bruce Wayne ends up dating Lois Lane, the villains double cross each other and their female sidekicks fight. Just great fun.

Well considering he saved Gotham and all it’s citizens in batman begins (which happened before Dark Knight) id say you need to take a huge leap to turn batman into a villain. He risked his life to save the city from the league of shadows.

he even tried to destroy the league of shadows instead of killing a man they caught stealing. He gave up both his lives, one life as a member of the league of shadows, the other as a businessman, to focus on saving others.

this is just from the movies too. If we talk about the comics Id say batman has helped save the universe many times over.
This man knows his History{<redford}

Tweaks are fine but wildly deviating from the canon and making Jesus the bad guy and Judas the good guy would be a horrible film.

That could be fun. Say Jesus starts out as a conman who uses prestidigitation to convince rubes that he's the messiah, but then gets in deeper than he wanted, and is bothered by the idea that people are really following him sincerely *and* that the heat wants to execute him in a most-fucked-up manner. While he considers his exit strategy, Judas finds out. Then Jesus figures out a way to fake his death and regroup to overthrow the gov't, but he does a double reverse and decides to skip town. Maybe leaves a note in the empty tomb apologizing and confessing, but one of his boys sees it and hides it.

In defense of the MCU portrayal of the Iron Man character they do sometimes try to frame his play boy lifestyle in a negative light or as being flaw. But they indulge it way too much for my liking.

Another thing I hate about him is that he represents this trend I see in a lot of popular characters whereby the smart character is always a condescending asshole. Iron Man is one, Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty is another, Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock is another Lots of them. Meanwhile kindness and empathy are correlated with naivety and simple mindedness. Really hate that.

I could talk at length about this subject. It's an extremely common theme in Western media. One example that I think I have talked about here is Parks & Recreation. Obviously, it's not a super serious work, but it puts forth a lot of conservative propaganda in my opinion about the futility of compassion and collective attempts at good and the bare pragmatism of Ay Randian selfishness.

I love that movie. Its great for all the reasons you mentioned but I also really love Bruce Timm's character designs and Shirley Walker's score.

I always thought that a great plot line for a blockbuster crossover between Superman and Batman would be to adapt the animated World's Finest crossover from the late 90s. The plot is that the Joker steals a dragon sculpture made of kryptonite, goes to Metropolis, and presents Lex Luthor with an offer to kill Superman in exchange for $1 billion. Batman is on the Joker's heels and moves to Metropolis to find him. Lots of fun moments; Superman and Batman meet up and find out each others identities, Bruce Wayne ends up dating Lois Lane, the villains double cross each other and their female sidekicks fight. Just great fun.

Even since I was a kid, I've always been disinterested in Batman/Superman crossovers. Two very different realities that I don't want to see merged. On the topic of your commentary in re New Deal sensibilities, what did you think of Superman the Animated Series from the mid-90s? I remember liking it, but the only two things that stick out in my memory are the killing of that police chief guy by Darkseid and the portrayal of the Parasite villain that I found compelling.

Tweaks are fine but wildly deviating from the canon and making Jesus the bad guy and Judas the good guy would be a horrible film.

I would watch that for sure. Could make for a very good, albeit very controversial, film. A conflicted disciple turning in his leader out of some regard for the safety of the leader, his people, or humanity.

A whole lot of potential in making a film or series about the character of Judas. I think the characterization of him as an evil figure is very misplaced.

The deconstruction of characters is always interesting. This is where you get a lot of these alternate universe versions of characters and in some cases the main canon characters get heavily deconstructed as well.

Reconstruction is great too. Things like All Star Superman is a good example of this.

The deconstruction of characters is always interesting. This is where you get a lot of these alternate universe versions of characters and in some cases the main canon characters get heavily deconstructed as well.

Reconstruction is great too. Things like All Star Superman is a good example of this.

How do you feel about the Joker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back