1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social War Room Lounge v260: Pls no bully Geg

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Tycho Brah, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Best bourbon cocktail?

1. Old Fashioned

40.0%
  2. Manhattan

5.7%
  3. Whiskey Sour

17.1%
  4. Cocktails are for women

22.9%
  5. Sazerac

8.6%
  6. Mint Julip

5.7%
  7. Hot Tottie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Whiskey Smash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Southern Jam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trotsky Banned Banned

You're really hitting homeruns tonight. Good commentary in re Superman and Ironman. I agree about the toxic play boy portrayal in the latter, although I didn't take as much issue with it until I saw it again years later.

I didn't see Homecoming, but I meant to mention the Raimi Spiderman films as being pretty good. I still wouldn't call them definitively good films, but they were well above most. I really liked the lighting and cinematography. I felt they struck a nice balance of a comic-tinted real world. Not gritty or gothic like Batman, but no music video pop like the later Marvel movies.

Yeah, TKJ had the Joker employing the "one bad day" philosophy, but it still had the character as a failed standup comedian who falls into a chemical vat. Which is hella lame. The "nobody laughs!" frame....no thanks, man.

Gandhi and Khabib Khanate like this.
  2. essie sue me

As for Batman Returns being pretentious or an art film I can't really think of a superhero movie that takes itself less seriously and has more fun with the garishness of comic book aesthetic. The Penguin literally rides on a big rubber ducky. Superhero movies that have giant battles in New York that evoke 9/11 probably have more of a right to be called pretentious.

3. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

same with Harley Quinn. The joker has been popularized in the last 20 years. Sure he was always Batman’s main rogue gallery villain but his popularity really grew from the movies.

as you know I’m a long time comic book reader and I don’t think the Joker was ever looked at as being a really sympathetic character Before that.

I might even type up a long winded post about batman and his ever changing mythos throughout the years.

Rebelfett, Sketch and Khabib Khanate like this.
  4. Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

If I were Pablo Escobar instead of Hippos I'd have had penguins. Sure, you can't feed a man to 'em to make the body disappear, but not everything is about one's job.

Maréchal, Tobacco, Rebelfett and 4 others like this.
  5. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

Let me ask this.

Superman can basically use his powers to listen to everyone’s conversations at the same time. He can listen to anything he wants. The police, lawyers, government officials behind the scenes. Mafia types, street thugs, gang bangers, drug dealers.

Does this make superman a villain as well?

JDragon and Sketch like this.
  6. Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

Sounds like government.

Rebelfett likes this.
  7. essie sue me

I'm not familiar with Superman but if he circumvents due process by beating the shit out of people then maybe he is.

Rebelfett likes this.
  8. Gandhi War Room Deep State Platinum Member

I think you can absolutely tear up cannon and make great stuff. Make superman evil, etc. but that’s intentional. But building up universes with known characters, ongoing plots, etc. would be meaningless with trying to faith to historical character. Why even have a Bond film if you are going to have him be a Russian fortune teller.

9. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

than every comic book hero is a villain in your mind. Every single one of them.

Rebelfett likes this.
  10. essie sue me

Could be.

Rebelfett and JDragon like this.
  11. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

But somehow you feel bad for the Joker.

You try and show some due process while trying to capture Doomsday or Sinestro or magneto.

beating them up comes first. There is no way around that I’m sorry to say.

12. Trotsky Banned Banned

My favorite depiction other than The Dark Knight was the Mask of the Phantasm.

No real backstory for the Joker there, other than him formerly being a mob enforcer or hired gun at some point, but he serves to represent a specter of the past and the prior misdeeds of the characters (although the titular Phantasm is facially represented as that). With the climax occurring in that decrepit futuristic theme park, representing the idealistic future that never happened and just sits, rotting and haunted. He's the embodiment of what time has wrought: similar to what Kafir said, he's the complete corruption, the Phantasm is the incomplete corruption, and Batman/Bruce Wayne is the still-pure tragic hero. Just beautiful stuff for an animated movie.

@Khabib Khanate

Gandhi and Khabib Khanate like this.
  13. sickness2.0 Mr. Steal your wife belt Banned

14. essie sue me

I feel bad for Batman too, doesn't mean he isn't villainous.

Rebelfett likes this.
  15. Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

But homie ain't actually government. Due process isn't his problem. Catching a charge as a vigilante...

Rebelfett likes this.
  16. essie sue me

The problem here is I am arguing passionately about a subject I don't know anything about or care to really know about lol.

Rebelfett, Andy Capp and sickness2.0 like this.
  17. Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

Welcome to the WR.

18. sickness2.0 Mr. Steal your wife belt Banned

Best super hero movie ever.
    [​IMG]

19. Sketch (҂`_´) <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - - - Double Yellow Card

She’s a woman dude. They are wired different.

20. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

Well considering he saved Gotham and all it’s citizens in batman begins (which happened before Dark Knight) id say you need to take a huge leap to turn batman into a villain. He risked his life to save the city from the league of shadows.

he even tried to destroy the league of shadows instead of killing a man they caught stealing. He gave up both his lives, one life as a member of the league of shadows, the other as a businessman, to focus on saving others.

this is just from the movies too. If we talk about the comics Id say batman has helped save the universe many times over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.