Social War Room Lounge Thread #319: Bring back Matlock and get the hell off my lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do to, but i need to be comfortable.
I used to have a full size chevy van with the full interior and 3 benches in the back. Was my work truck and daily driver in one. I'd remove the 2 back benches and would still have 7 feet remaining from the back of the van to the third bench. When we get to the campsite, take everything out the back of the van and I'd roll out the queen mattress and inflate it while it was in the van , the entire back would become 1 big bed. And the inflatable wasn't thin, about 16-18 inches in height, was as comfortable as sleeping at home. My kids used to love it, good times.
I like doing remote, so if it doesn't fit into a single back pack, it's not coming with me.

That looks like something there. name?
I just google inflatable sleeping pad and that was on the first page of results, $30 at walmart

Last edited:
Dunno if it's worth a thread but the Bank of Canada announced today it won't lower the prime interest rate at this time and it likely won't happen until the summer sometime. I'm no expert but I think that's a bad thing. I think it was safe to begin lowering them before the new year.

Dunno if it's worth a thread but the Bank of Canada announced today it won't lower the prime interest rate at this time and it likely won't happen until the summer sometime. I'm no expert but I think that's a bad thing. I think it was safe to begin lowering them before the new year.
Dang... reading on it, the increase has been crazy. I know covid etc but 7.2 is high

Here’s a look at how the prime rate has changed since 2018:

• July 12, 2023: 7.2%
  • June 8, 2023: 6.95%
  • Jan. 25, 2023: 6.7%
  • Dec. 8, 2022: 6.45%
  • Oct. 27, 2022: 5.95%
  • Sept. 8, 2022: 5.45%
  • July 14, 2022: 4.7%
  • June 2, 2022: 3.7%
  • April 14, 2022: 3.2%
  • March 3, 2022: 2.7%
  • March 30, 2020: 2.45%
  • March 17, 2020: 2.95%
  • March 5, 2020: 3.45%
  • Oct. 25, 2018: 3.95%
  • July 12, 2018: 3.70%

I like doing remote, so if it doesn't fit into a single back pack, it's not coming with me.
I do this when I travel. If I go to a country for a week, I'm still just bringing a book bag

Dang... reading on it, the increase has been crazy. I know covid etc but 7.2 is high

Here’s a look at how the prime rate has changed since 2018:

• July 12, 2023: 7.2%
  • June 8, 2023: 6.95%
  • Jan. 25, 2023: 6.7%
  • Dec. 8, 2022: 6.45%
  • Oct. 27, 2022: 5.95%
  • Sept. 8, 2022: 5.45%
  • July 14, 2022: 4.7%
  • June 2, 2022: 3.7%
  • April 14, 2022: 3.2%
  • March 3, 2022: 2.7%
  • March 30, 2020: 2.45%
  • March 17, 2020: 2.95%
  • March 5, 2020: 3.45%
  • Oct. 25, 2018: 3.95%
  • July 12, 2018: 3.70%
I don't know if that data is accurate. As far as I know it's currently 5%.

To wit,

Edit: historical data,

I don't know if that data is accurate. As far as I know it's currently 5%.

To wit,
Took that from Forbes but they did distinguish between BOC interest rate and the prime.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/ca/banking/prime-rate-in-canada/

Took that from Forbes but they did distinguish between BOC interest rate and the prime.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/ca/banking/prime-rate-in-canada/
Ah, I thought it might be something like that. Yes the rate I can get for a loan at a bank is around 9%. It's ridiculous. Funny coincidence; I was speaking with someone first thing this morning about it, commenting upon the likelihood they would not reduce rates and why I thought that was a bad thing, and then just a little while ago on the noon time news they had an expert on there saying exactly the same thing.

I really hope we're wrong though because there isn't a fucking thing either of us can do about it now.

Ah, I thought it might be something like that. Yes the rate I can get for a loan at a bank is around 9%. It's ridiculous. Funny coincidence; I was speaking with someone first thing this morning about it, commenting upon the likelihood they would not reduce rates and why I thought that was a bad thing, and then just a little while ago on the noon time news they had an expert on there saying exactly the same thing.

I really hope we're wrong though because there isn't a fucking thing either of us can do about it now.
I dont see how anyone could afford 9% with property values being what they are. Absolutely crazy times we are living bud. Hopefully it settles out soon.

I dont see how anyone could afford 9% with property values being what they are. Absolutely crazy times we are living bud. Hopefully it settles out soon.
We got very lucky when we bought our house because even though we paid through the nose for it, we got locked in at a low interest rate (under 3 percent) for 7 years just before the rates started increasing.

But that doesn't help with other kinds of financing, like for my business.

I think the economy has slowed quite sufficiently--inflation is down to under 3%--and they need to drop interest rates to encourage Canadians to spend on services like our American counterparts have been doing ever since pandemic restrictions were lifted. The US economy is performing better than pretty much every other developed nation, and it's because of consumer spending. Canadians are scare to do that and I don't know if lower rates would change their feelings but I think so.

Blade Runner is a truly all-time great film.

Now, here's your next revelation (I sincerely hope), Play Misty for Me. I'd also recommend Dog Day Afternoon. There was something about films of the 70's and early 80's that had a certain fine gritty and sort of dirty feel that digital recording doesn't reproduce, I think. Consider Fort Apache, the Bronx, from around the same time as Blade Runner, and TV shows like Police Story, Streets of San Francisco, and later, Hill Street Blues.

Have fun, young'un :)
Chinatown has to be mentioned if we're talking '70s movies. That's the best IMO. The Long Goodbye is another great one. Both of them together also will help you appreciate the Big Lebowski a lot more. I've never seen the Marathon Man movie, but I've read the book and I can see how it would be a great movie.

That's the problem. All those super inflated COVID mortgages that people got will be coming up for renewal in the next year or two and significantly higher rates. Foreclosures are already up over 200% up here, they'll probably double again in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back