Wal Mart is raising their hourly wages next month to $18-$21 an hour

The Good The Bad The HBK

Pitbull Owner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The world’s largest retailer posted revenue of $137.74 billion.

https://www.wrdw.com/2020/09/18/walmart-to-raise-wages-paying-staff-up-to-30-per-hour/

Some employees in super centers can earn up to $30 an hour.

In b 4 you sound poor

image-asset.gif

Are these wages adjusted for local cost of living, or they universal? $21/hr in San Francisco is sharing a one-bedroom apartment with four dudes. In Kearney, Nebraska, it's a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house.

That's a lot.. I thought Walmart workers worked minimum wage which is around 13$/hr here.

Walmart has 1.5 million employees in the US (2.2m global). According to the article 165k employees (not clear if this is US only or global numbers) will see a raise.

That part (only 10%) surprises me.
But maybe corporate, drivers, and warehouse people are all FT and the 165K is just the low-level floor staff. At 5k stores nationally, that would come to 33 ppl/store.

I have a friend who's basically a bum who started working at Target stocking shelves and he's making $17 an hour. He is part time and works overnights.

Obviously that's not much money, but the hourly wage was surprising to me.

They will raise the wages and cut the hours. When will people understand this concept?

That doesn't make any sense.

If they were forced to raise wages to $20/hr, sure, they might cut hours to keep costs relatively stable.
But why would they voluntarily go from paying someone $15/hr for 20 hrs/wk to paying them $20/hr for 15 hrs/wk?
Getting 75% of the work for the same cost isn't clever business maneuvering.

That doesn't make any sense.

If they were forced to raise wages to $20/hr, sure, they might cut hours to keep costs relatively stable.
But why would they voluntarily go from paying someone $15/hr for 20 hrs/wk to paying them $20/hr for 15 hrs/wk?
Getting 75% of the work for the same cost isn't clever business maneuvering.

MCDonalds raised wages and replaced the workers with kiosks. If you think Walmart won't automate certain jobs I don't know what to tell you. CVS raised wages near me and then installed two self checkout booths.

MCDonalds raised wages and replaced the workers with kiosks. If you think Walmart won't automate certain jobs I don't know what to tell you. CVS raised wages near me and then installed two self checkout booths.
So, to summarize:
-Employees net pay is the same, but working fewer hrs.
-Cost to company is the same, and they get to brag about what they pay their employees.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than this paving the way for more automation, which apparently is coming regardless.

Edit: unless they're using it as a Trojan horse to cut employee benefits, e.g. health care, 401k, etc.

If you work a job an could be replaced by a stick and a sand bag - you likely shouldn't make more than Minimum wage. But hey if they want to pay folks 21 bucks an hour for doing mindless work good for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back