Wal Mart is raising their hourly wages next month to $18-$21 an hour

So, to summarize:
-Employees net pay is the same, but working fewer hrs.
-Cost to company is the same, and they get to brag about what they pay their employees.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than this paving the way for more automation, which apparently is coming regardless.

This is muddy water but it largely hurts the employee with things like healthcare eligibility. The hours worked are important and the employer likes those to be lowered to avoid paying retirement and the like.

MCDonalds raised wages and replaced the workers with kiosks. If you think Walmart won't automate certain jobs I don't know what to tell you. CVS raised wages near me and then installed two self checkout booths.

Yes, but it feels to me like you're trying to frame this as some sort of minimum wage debate, where it was a "tragic mistake" for people to force Walmart to raise wages.
Nobody directly made them. They either did it because a) They want to attract better quality workers, b) they felt it was right, or c) market forces are pushing wages up.
In any of those cases, trying to make them not raise it would be ridiculous.

Yes, automation and its impacts should be a big societal concern - but it's coming, no matter what. The price of automating doesn't rise the way inflation drives the costs of labor up. The only way to prevent automating from making increasing financial sense would be a) Stop/reverse technological progress or b) Freeze or reverse low end wages, more or less permanently.
The former is impossible, short of devastating societal change. The latter would be hard and would be its own form of disaster.

Seems high? I'm guessing this also comes with automating a lot of the jobs?

The world’s largest retailer posted revenue of $137.74 billion.

https://www.wrdw.com/2020/09/18/walmart-to-raise-wages-paying-staff-up-to-30-per-hour/

Some employees in super centers can earn up to $30 an hour.

In b 4 you sound poor

image-asset.gif
It's raise for 11% of their staff. They're also eliminating positions. It's meaningless.

So, to summarize:
-Employees net pay is the same, but working fewer hrs.
-Cost to company is the same, and they get to brag about what they pay their employees.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than this paving the way for more automation, which apparently is coming regardless.

Edit: unless they're using it as a Trojan horse to cut employee benefits, e.g. health care, 401k, etc.

I get that less hours might be given, but shelfs still need to be stocked, registers need to be run, etc.
So unless they're wildly inefficient now, paying workers 20/hr vs 15/hr costs them more money, whether they use 50 full time employees in a store or 75 part time employees.

I don't get it either, but all I know is it all points to inflation.

The world’s largest retailer posted revenue of $137.74 billion.

https://www.wrdw.com/2020/09/18/walmart-to-raise-wages-paying-staff-up-to-30-per-hour/

Some employees in super centers can earn up to $30 an hour.

In b 4 you sound poor

image-asset.gif
It appears they changed their vacation policy, reducing it, which is unfortunate, but I can't confirm that. As of 2018, a worker could max at 304 hours of paid time off each year (depends on whether you're full time or part-time, your job type, and chiefly how long you've been employed by the company). Only 80 of these hours could be carried over to the next year, but the excess would be converted to cash on the new year's first check:
https://one.walmart.com/content/dam/themepage/pdfs/time/pto-accrual-hourly-2018.pdf

You would need the carryover to actually get all those vacation days because it would be practically impossible to practically realize this PTO from scratch. It requires 260 8-hour work days to build. That's 52 full 5-day work weeks. You'd think, "Well I could build this PTO by working multiple 6-day work weeks throughout the year, and take 5 1/2 weeks off fully paid". The logistical issue with this is that Wal-Mart is notoriously draconian about preventing overtime hours. They just don't let it happen. If you're working over 40 hours a week at Wally World, you're in management, and you're on salary. The way vacation time is structured, from scratch, for an employee on the ideal accrual rate, he would have to work 45-46 full 40-hour work weeks, and would earn 5-6 weeks paid vacation.

However, if you carried over the max 80 days vacation time from the previous year, it would only require 191.5 days to build the max days off, or 38 weeks work weeks, so there is buffer here. Furthermore, a full 6 days of Holiday PTO are automatically afforded. Apparently Wal-Mart allows up to 18 sick days per year, separately, but this will be counted towards a future PTO balance.

So let's put this all together for an ideal worker scenario.

Let's assume you worked there for over 20 years, and are full-time in a position at a retail outlet (i.e. not a trucker or office worker). Presuming this, in theory, on that 2018 policy, at this highest retail hourly rate, a low-skilled worker at Wal-Mart, after two decades of employment, would enjoy roughly this ideal scenario:
  • ~44.5 full work weeks (222 days worked total)
  • ~7.5 weeks off
    • 6 automatic Holiday PTO days claimed
    • 32 full PTO days earned (capped), paid vacation or whatever
  • $62,400 earned on the year (€52,700 ; £48,310)

That's just barely less than what the teachers with the same work experience make in my County, though the teachers get a bit more vacation time, I believe, but teachers also require a college education.

Are these wages adjusted for local cost of living, or they universal? $21/hr in San Francisco is sharing a one-bedroom apartment with four dudes. In Kearney, Nebraska, it's a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house.
Yeah I'm wondering that too. It says as high as 30 per hour and the lowest they mention is 18.

Minimum wage where I live is like 11 I think, so it's crazy to imagine some 16 year old wal mart employee making 7 dollars above minimum wage.

Dang thats a lot of money for a menial job, I wonder if its due to Covid and them being frontline workers as a way to say thank you for your service and helping us make over 100 billion at this time.

They will raise the wages and cut the hours. When will people understand this concept?
yeah, especially with the self checkout things (everytime I go there most of the actual cashier register's are not open and they push you to the self checkout because the lines are longer).

MCDonalds raised wages and replaced the workers with kiosks. If you think Walmart won't automate certain jobs I don't know what to tell you. CVS raised wages near me and then installed two self checkout booths.

cant stop procress

flesh is weak, machine is eternal

That's a lot.. I thought Walmart workers worked minimum wage which is around 13$/hr here.
One way or the other, they do. Go to wal mart, no one makes over $13 an hour (shoppers or staff)

That's why you get jobs at 2 Walmarts.
tenor.gif

I'd eat Ricin

yeah, especially with the self checkout things (everytime I go there most of the actual cashier register's are not open and they push you to the self checkout because the lines are longer).

Cashiers are harder to find than toilet paper. I tell topical jokes.

cant stop procress

flesh is weak, machine is eternal

I hate people and would gladly trade everyone for machines. You couldn't automate my job so I don't care.

I'd eat Ricin

Cashiers are harder to find than toilet paper. I tell topical jokes.

I hate people and would gladly trade everyone for machines. You couldn't automate my job so I don't care.

lol yeah right thats what all say

Back