Vomiting

Chris Kimmerly

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
What causes a person to throw up when they train extremly hard.

I had that problem when I was younger, and it was mainly due to what I put in, rather that put out. So in other words it wasn't the training that caused it, but rather the food I ate, how fast I ate, and how long I waited before I trained, that caused me to vomite. I think you will find is that what makes people vomite is due to what is circulating in their digestive system, or either they are training with an illness.

I think he wants to know what happens with the body that makes it throw up because of training.

Hamit Aktas said:
I think he wants to know what happens with the body that makes it throw up because of training.

Exactly. I am 32 years old and have been trainng in martial arts for over 20 years. I had about an 8-9 month lay off where I was not exercising at all and then my first submission wrestling session I threw up. I had never had that in my 20 years of training. It was awesome!!

U all get nausea b4 throwing up? I do, plus headaches

I've done it on the bike while doing hill intervals after not training at high intensity for a while. I've read that it is an auto-reponse system and has to do with you CNS system not being conditioned enough. I didn't like it, because I was forced to back off on the intensity even though I felt like I could do more.

I throw up from a lack of fuel. I know this cause I actually did some experiments with it...yucko. When I keep fuel in my body ( a trail mix or something to nibble on) I can keep pushing and not throw up.

I've never thrown up. I've felt like I'm about to but I'm kinda incapable of throwing up, unless I've been food poisoned or something of that sort. Trying to work so hard that you throw up isn't a "cool" thing. You shouldn't want to throw up in training. I'm saying this because some people actually believe it's a good thing to train until you throw up.

There are a couple things that could make you throw up or feel nauseas. One is a build up of lactic acid in your blood that results when your muslces (usually large muscles) over exert themselves and cannot get enough oxygen basically. it is more compicated than that, and invloves the atp system and the breakdown of variuos molecules, thier regeneration etc. here is a link to a good article, if not somewhat technical. if you can skip over the medical jargon there is some good info in there
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm

the other issue could be low blood sugar levels. when you roll or exert yourself in an anarobic manner you burn through you glucose (glycogen?) supplies faster than your body can come up with new sources (like converting fat to be burnt or in some cases even complex carb if ingested within a short time period of the occurence). inthe first case the best thing to do is too train anaerobically so your body builds up an immunity to the lactic acids and you will be able to push yourself harder. In the second case, take a sport drink like gatorade and when you start to feel dizzy start drinking. this should get you blood sugar level back up and alleviate the nausea.

I have a freind who says he could never puke from training. My answer to him is that he is not pushing hard enough. If you push to the limits you will puke for one of the reasons above

I'm not going to claim to be a doctor, but I will give what little info I have. Normally when a persons vomits its the bodys way to conserve energy, energy that it need to use in other areas, when your sick your body causes you to vomit cause it doesnt want to waste energy digesting food when its trying to fight off an illness, same goes for people who have been seriously injured. Your body will prioritize bodily functions and digesting food is on the bottom of the list. I would say that you are most likely training very hard and your body just adjusted its energy use, or it could have been the bean burrito :D .

i imagine its a negative feedback response because certain poisons can give you a fever?

or its the same as wanting to piss and having your blood leave the skin when you get your fight or flight response.. i know i always feel more energetic after puking. or maybe its just an evolutionary thing that really doesnt help anymore

Snar said:
There are a couple things that could make you throw up or feel nauseas. One is a build up of lactic acid in your blood that results when your muslces (usually large muscles) over exert themselves and cannot get enough oxygen basically. it is more compicated than that, and invloves the atp system and the breakdown of variuos molecules, thier regeneration etc. here is a link to a good article, if not somewhat technical. if you can skip over the medical jargon there is some good info in there
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm

the other issue could be low blood sugar levels. when you roll or exert yourself in an anarobic manner you burn through you glucose (glycogen?) supplies faster than your body can come up with new sources (like converting fat to be burnt or in some cases even complex carb if ingested within a short time period of the occurence). inthe first case the best thing to do is too train anaerobically so your body builds up an immunity to the lactic acids and you will be able to push yourself harder. In the second case, take a sport drink like gatorade and when you start to feel dizzy start drinking. this should get you blood sugar level back up and alleviate the nausea.

I have a freind who says he could never puke from training. My answer to him is that he is not pushing hard enough. If you push to the limits you will puke for one of the reasons above

Thanks. That seems to make sense.

To avoid puking do not eat anything three hours before you train.

If you are puking during an extremely hard seesion of exercise, it's probably from lactic acid.

Snar said:

Actually, I believe him. Well I don't know him at all, and I'd have to be him to really know. But me myself, I cannot puke from training. And trust me, not many people push themselves as hard as I can do at times. I can go untill I'm about to faint. And it can FEEL like I'm about to throw up. But it never happens. And I've trained hard on an empty stomach. I've done the mistake of training while being sick (got abstinence, had to train).
And that was the closest I've been to fainting. But still , no throwing up.

I "never" throw up. I hate throwing up so bad, I think my body has made some kind of defense to not throw up. I've thrown up ONCE in 13 years. That was last december when I was at this christmas buff

I don't understand, for you guys that are saying it is caused by lactic acid, do you have any science to back that up. I find it hard to believe. If that were case wouldn't see guys puking all over the place after a hard sprint finish in a race? It's just not something that you see very often, if ever.

my big toe said:
I don't understand, for you guys that are saying it is caused by lactic acid, do you have any science to back that up. I find it hard to believe. If that were case wouldn't see guys puking all over the place after a hard sprint finish in a race? It's just not something that you see very often, if ever.

If you want give me some time and I can look in one of my textbooks, or just believe me. It takes alot of exercise for the lactic acid throwup, plus it comes from being in the anaerobic phase for too long.

Back