Volkanovski vs Poirier @ 155 lbs, who wins?

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Hypothetically, who would you favour?

Dustin is 5'9", Alexander is 5'6"

Dustin has a 72 inch reach, Volkanovski has a 71.5 inch reach.

Would have to slightly favour Poirier for the size difference, but Volkanovski is so damn technical and tactical that it wouldn't surprise me if he could pull it off.

Holloway does poorly at lightweight
So does Volk

Dustin kos the Manlet

Volkanovski is the better MMA fighter skill for skill, but he should stay at FW. I'd still favor him against Dustin at LW though in this hypothetical match. He'd probably just take Dustin down and punch his face in

Dustin will school him at LW. People usually forget how good a fighter is if he comes off a loss.

volkanovski didnt rocked max once in 25 minutes ... poirier fucks volkanovski up ... people should rewatch poirier last fights ( not the khabib one, volk aint khabib ... ), the dude is a BEAST.

Volk only path to victory is wrestling, I doubt he is a better/stronger wrestler than poirier ( at least poirier took max down, volk couldnt ).

Last edited:
Its quite even but technically Volkov seems more sound

volkanovski didnt rocked max once in 25 minutes ... poirier fucks volkanovski up ... people should rewatch poirier last fights ( not the khabib one, volk aint khabib ... ), the dude is a BEAST.
True, however I wonder how much more power Volk would have at Lightweight. You are right though in saying that Poirier is a beast.

Thats a very interesting question.

It would be really intriguing to see it, as it would clearly add a lot to his case as "best fw of all time".
Beat the guy and then beat the other guy that beat that guy (works both for max having beat aldo and poirier having beat max)?

Pretty strong argument to have on your side

Max's chin is much better than Dustin's.

This would be a close fight -- I think I'd favor Dustin, but let's not forget how brutal Volk's ground and pound is. Poirier has somewhat porous take down defense -- Volk isn't a stand out wrestler but he has a heavy top game as we saw against Darren Elkens. Chad Mendes took Volk down rather easily but Chad takes down most people he faces; plus Volk was able to get up pretty quickly and recover. It'd be a good fight, likely much more exciting than his impressive yet not very entertaining fight against Holloway.

To put it simple:
Poirier has more power (and reach) than Max but on the other hand his takedown defense isn't as good.

Intriguing matchup in my opinion.

Volk could easily catch Dustin and make him stiff. I'd place my money on Dustin using crisp boxing, and landing that left hand to put Volk out though.

Max's chin is much better than Dustin's.
dustin's defense is much better too, if volk was barely able to hit max a couple of times, he aint touching poirier flush one time.
People sleep on poirier's striking defense. Sorry but Justin gaethje, eddie alvarez > volk ...

dustin's defense is much better too, if volk was barely able to hit max a couple of times, he aint touching poirier flush one time.
People sleep on poirier's striking defense. Sorry but Justin gaethje, eddie alvarez > volk ...

Yeah. I disagree with that last part. I'm not sure how volk barely hit max either. He landed more than max did, which is something Dustin can't say about his fight with max.

They're very different fights.

Yeah. I disagree with that last part. I'm not sure how volk barely hit max either. He landed more than max did, which is something Dustin can't say about his fight with max.
numbers dont mean shit you know it. Damage is what counts. ( rush was laughing after the volk fight, but he was crying after the poirier fight ... )

maxresdefault.jpg

12119965_web1_UFC-236-Mixed-Martial-Arts-1-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
numbers dont mean shit you know it. Damage is what counts.

maxresdefault.jpg

12119965_web1_UFC-236-Mixed-Martial-Arts-1-1-1.jpg

I don't understand what you're arguing. I never said volkanovski did more damage to max than Dustin did. You said volk barely hit him, which is just flat out false.

Back