Volkanovski vs Poirier @ 155 lbs, who wins?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JustBleed69, Dec 18, 2019.

1. RNC555 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Very ignorant post. You can have a slightly better TDD or takedowns but the difference wont be massive.

Rockholds TDD and takedowns are very close to each others actually. Hes not significantly better at one aspect than the other. Hes basically fighting guys with bad enough takedowns that you get the feeling that hes a TDD machine.

Chris Weidman took him down with relative ease multiple times.

2. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

They are both MMA math, if you want to do a decent breakdown of how you think Volkanovski vs Dustin would go you need to look at fights where Dustin fought someone similar to Volkanovski and fights where Volkanovski fought someone similar to Dustin. Dustin vs Max tells us nothing about how Dustin vs Volkanovski would go, same for Max vs Volkanovski since neither fighters are similar.

3. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

Stop spewing bullshit, you haven't watched MMA very long and you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I just gave you 2 examples where their takedowns and TDD are vastly different, Shogun's TDD is bad, his takedowns are well above average, Rockhold has bad takedowns and excellent TDD.

Carlos Condit is another guy with very good takedowns and bad TDD. There's tons of MMA fighters that are great at TDD and suck at takedowns or vice versa.

Weidman didn't take Rockhold down multiple times with ease, Weidman was 3/6 on his takedowns and he was the best takedown guy in the entire MW division.

4. Grapplefest Black Belt

Poirier would light him up. I don't think Volkanovski would be able to wrestlefuck him, Poirier is just a better striker, bigger, and unlike Max has power.

5. GreatSaintGuillotine You may not like what I say but it's the truth.

Dustin. Their skills are pretty close over all (Dustin is better on the ground but he rarely grapples anymore) but Dustin has the clear edge on power. I think it would be close until Volk got his bell rung.

6. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Black Belt

Volk barely spent any time at all on top of Elkins, like less than 45 seconds over the course of 3 rounds.
    Volk didn't really try to take Max down. He was aware that he had won the round and just forced him against the fence near the end to stall a little bit.
    I'm not saying Volk could or couldn't take him down, just that he clearly wasn't trying all that hard to actually get a takedown in that fight.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  7. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Black Belt

Rockhold doesn't necessarily have incredible TDD, he just has an insane ability to reverse position and dominant top control.

8. NicholasJBasile Hoping to fight some day...

Actually I think you're correct -- I must be getting mixed up. I'm not sure why I remember the fight so differently than how it played out -- I took another look and it wasn't the fight I remember lol

9. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Getting KO'ed with the BOIIIIS

Dustin takes this in my opinion, ESPECIALLY at 155. Dustin is the far better MMA Boxer, and seeing how Volkanovski likes to strike as he's primarily a Kickboxer, it's safe to say this fight will likely be contested on the feet, and this is where I feel Dustin has the advantage.

Unlike Max, Dustin won't be afraid to get in the pocket and exchange with Volkanovski. Dustin has the power advantage and won't be to take risks, and trade, and as we know, he's the more efficient MMA Boxer, especially in the pocket.

This is not to say Volkanovski himself won't have power at 155, but Dustin's already fought a brawler that leads with leg kicks in Justin Gaethje who we can ALL agree has far more power than Volkanovski.

Dustin's got heart, can take a beating and his power doesn't fade, his finish over Gaethje in the 4th round proves this, and this was the Gaethje that put a crazy pace on his opponents mind you. With this in mind we can see that Dustin's already fought a way better pressure fighter and Volkanovski himself doesn't push a crazy pace either, Max didn't look overwhelmed at one point in the fight.

Dustin will also effectively cut off Volkanovski's leg kicks, he WILL establish a strong Jab, and try to come over the top of them. He won't let Volkanovski get away with NEARLY as many as Max did, he will throw once he sees them coming, and like I said before he won't be afraid to get in the pocket and exchange as a result.

Put some Respek on Dustin's name.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. Dmac07 Yellow Belt

Volk is also harder to hit than Max. Max was outgunned but landed a lot of significant shots on Dustin, and hurt him at one point. He couldn't land those shots on Volk. Being difficult to hit is an extremely underrated skill, and Volk is difficult to hit. His really only taken one big shotin his ufc career to date (against Mendes), and he quickly recovered from that.

11. Chok Sok Te Purple Belt

Too big a jump

12. NDiaz209 Orange Belt

oooh that's the fucking fight!

13. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Black Belt

How has this post aged?

14. stacrafty Yellow Belt

lmao Volks main training partner is Brad Riddel you turd. Did you see Kai with him in Dubai or Brad?

15. Bingo Orange Belt

All you idiots that picked volk still reckon he wins ?

16. BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

LOL @ all the bots who picked Volk over Dustin...

This shows how many casuals pollute our sport

<36>

17. Redfish Purple Belt

Not even tits could save this thread

18. ExitLUPin K

Poirier stops him before the 3rd. Bad matchup for Volk

19. Mal Intentions Purple Belt

volk is pretty damn boring. thats all i got to say

20. TriangleMonkey Red Belt

Bruv, did you see Kai with him the 1st time he fought Max? They both fought on same card. You trying to tell me Kai and Volk were NOT training partners leading up to a fight on the same goddamn card? I never went on to say they were main training partners. I realize Brad trains with both. You sound like a shit bag quoting an 8 month old post.