News Volk says Aldo is FW GOAT

Besides Max, none of his wins are better than Aldo's. Mendes and Zombie were shell of themselves. Aldo beat much better versions of them. Ortega and Yair are def not better wins than Lamas and Edgar. Aldo wasn't in his prime in 2019 while Volk was just entering his. So..
I'd take Ortega over Lamas.
Edgar i say is the 3rd best win between Aldo and Volk.

However, i think it's being heavily underestimated beating another all-time great in their prime 3x like Max Holloway. Who beat Aldo 2x and Edgar as well just a few fights before.

Losing against every other all-time featherweight should severely dampen your GOAT case as well, Aldo had alot of fights but he wasn't "old".

New fans don’t realize that prime Ricardo Lamas and Mark Hominick were just as good as Ortega and Yair and Aldo beat the prime version of KZ not the shot one. Now granted Volk beat Max three times but Aldo beat Faber, Mike Brown, Florian, Edgar x2, and Mendes x2 so that more than balances it out.
It's insane people forgot how good Mendes and especially Edgar where. Edgar should have been the lw champion when he fought Aldo the first time and then only lost fw's to other people than Aldo when he got old. Cub Swanson was on a six fight win streak when he lost to Edgar in a completely one sided mauling. That Swanson win streak included Poirier and Oliviera.

I think you're the one who doesn't believe what you are saying. That or you're a newb who started watching last year.

Volk beat the same fighter 3 times and 2 of them were razor sharp decisions that fans think he lost. Aldo was a much more dominant champ in a deeper division who beat a greater number of great fighters.

Edgar was the lightweight champ and an all time great. The only reason he wasn't featherweight champ himself is because of Aldo.

Aldo was out of prime.

Nice win. Didn't fight the same Mendes Aldo did though.

Again, Zombie was old and on the verge of retirement. Aldo beat him in his prime. The fact you brought this up as one of his best wins speaks to the weaker talent pool.

Ortega fought Edgar when he was old and out of prime. He would have gotten smoked by a prime Edgar and anyone who has been watching MMA for the last 10 years knows that. Ortega's entire run to the title picture consists of pulling finishes out of hus ass in fights he was losing and he has barely done anything since then. He would also get smoked by a prime Mendes or Lamas.

It doesn't work that way. Silva losing to Weidman 2x doesn't make Weidman greater than Silva. If Topuria beats Max and Volk again it wouldn't make Topuria greater than either of them. What matters is how long a fighter's run was at the top and who they fought.

Somehow you retards can understand this when it comes to other divisions and other fighters but completely shut your brain off when it comes to Aldo

Beating Max Holloway another All-Time great who was on a historical win streak even if it was close 3 times i'd say is worth more than Lamas, Faber(who moved to 135 quickly after), Brown, Florian(who nearly died making 145) and most of the ones you mentioned combined historically/resume wise IMO.

Also, i didn't mean just beating someone head-to-head makes you better than them. I meant if you lose head-to-head to literally every other GOAT candidate of the division it lowers your own case + the comparative overall resume combined.

One fight can change your entire legacy. Jon Jones knows this.

That's an odd example, given that Jones's legacy comes from a decade and a half of dominance and double-digit title wins. No single fight can change that.

Also not a moot point. Cruz would have an extra title defense like Aldo and Ronda he was “promoted”. It actually changes his title defense -1.
No it doesn't. If they had promoted him following the WEC merger he would have the same number of UFC title defenses. All three of them officially made their first defense at their UFC debut.

Losing against every other all-time featherweight should severely dampen your GOAT case as well, Aldo had alot of fights but he wasn't "old".
He is ancient in terms of fighting age. He was around 30 when he lost to other GOAT candidates but he is fighting since he is 18. Rory MacDonald for example was out of his prime in his mid 20s because of the war he had with Lawler.

However, i think it's being heavily underestimated beating another all-time great in their prime 3x like Max Holloway. Who beat Aldo 2x and Edgar as well just a few fights before.
I don't think anyone underestimates it. It is absolutely amazing how he managed to beat Max three times considering the fact that Max still destroys top fighters. But at the end of the day, Volk's title reign consist of Max ( Great wins as i said), Ortega (Decent fighter but almost lost to him), Yair (Decent win but not great), Zombie (He shouldn't even have been there with Volk in the first place). Aldo's title defenses of Faber, Edgar, Mendes x2, Lamas seem better overall.

I'd take Ortega over Lamas.
Who did Ortega beat for you to put him over Lamas? Lamas' win over Bermudez, Koch and Oliveira are better than Ortega's whole resume.

Aldo's "prime" stretch (which is what I judge most people by) is one of the best ever. Right up there with Silva, GSP, Jones, etc.

He is ancient in terms of fighting age. He was around 30 when he lost to other GOAT candidates but he is fighting since he is 18. Rory MacDonald for example was out of his prime in his mid 20s because of the war he had with Lawler.

I don't think anyone underestimates it. It is absolutely amazing how he managed to beat Max three times considering the fact that Max still destroys top fighters. But at the end of the day, Volk's title reign consist of Max ( Great wins as i said), Ortega (Decent fighter but almost lost to him), Yair (Decent win but not great), Zombie (He shouldn't even have been there with Volk in the first place). Aldo's title defenses of Faber, Edgar, Mendes x2, Lamas seem better overall.

Who did Ortega beat for you to put him over Lamas? Lamas' win over Bermudez, Koch and Oliveira are better than Ortega's whole resume.
I'd say Ortega beat Edgar(not completely in his prime, but still a good win), Zombie, Yair, Swanson, Moicano. He's also still active and he's not too bad of an underdog against the current champ IMO.
Bermudez is good, Oliviera is a good win, but that was when he was extremely up n down and lost every other fight and had trouble making weight.

Aldo's "prime" stretch (which is what I judge most people by) is one of the best ever. Right up there with Silva, GSP, Jones, etc.

I know this is classic keyboard warrior talk but Aldo during his WEC days I really do believe people were intimidated about the prospects of actually fighting that fucking guy. He was a monster and put a HURTING on fools.

I know this is classic keyboard warrior talk but Aldo during his WEC days I really do believe people were intimidated about the prospects of actually fighting that fucking guy. He was a monster and put a HURTING on fools.

He was terrifying. The scar on his face, terminator stare, the intensity/speed he threw combinations with. Different vibe than Faber/Brown gave.

He was terrifying. The scar on his face, terminator stare, the intensity/speed he threw combinations with. Different vibe than Faber/Brown gave.

And when he smelled blood he went for it like no other

No it doesn't. If they had promoted him following the WEC merger he would have the same number of UFC title defenses. All three of them officially made their first defense at their UFC debut.
Actually good point there. Because it was contested under WeC and like shoehorned into the defense of the WeC title it wouldn’t have mattered. It’s still a weird situation compared to just outright being promoted. I guess looking back it was more to draw eyes and spark interest on the event. But yea 100% wouldn’t have mattered in terms of UFC defenses. But he still did something they didn’t do and “competed” for the actual belt. None unified anything here. I guess technically Gilbert Melendez could have unified if he won in SF. Besides Hendo x2 and Gilbert did any other champs go straight to title? Pettis and Rockhold took L’s against non champs upon entry….

It's hard to surpass a legend on the GOAT poll. Guys like Aldo, BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Fedor have stamped their legacy in their respective divisions.

Volk has nine ranked wins at 145. Aldo has twelve. Aldo had nine title defenses (I'm including the WEC, and could not care less if you don't), Volk had five. Aldo lost his belt almost twelve years into his MMA career. Volk lost his almost twelve years into his. Aldo had a clear win over the guy who should have been lightweight champion at the time in Edgar at UFC 156, but wasn't awarded the win against Bendo at UFC 150.

Outside of Holloway, Volkanovski never successfully defended his title against anyone who had more than a two fight win streak. Hominick, Edgar II, KZ, Lamas and Mendes x2 all had at least three fight win streaks, with KZ at three, Lamas at four, Mendes II at five, Mendes I at nine, Edgar II at five and Hominick at five.

All time divisional standings are created in the aggregate. Aldo still has claim to the title Featherweight GOAT in my opinion.

Anybody with a clue knows that.

It’s only noobs, trolls, or stupid people that call people like Usman, Izzy, and Alex divisional GOATs. None of them even came close to the consecutive defences the actual GOATs have.
Izzy and Alex are Solid runner ups that still have potential, Usman is not a top 5 all time WW.

I think he knows the loss to illia kind of ruined the chance to be FW goat. But his legacy holds it's own with Aldo. I think Volk is top 10 all time for sure imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back