video of me dealing with a rowdy af crowd.

Can someone help me pull this goddamn video and post it here?

I'm on my phone and can't get the actual link, it requires a computer. If you pm me I'll send you the link to get the link or something.

lulz ur a good comedian
fngrgnz.gif

Really dig this one. Kept my composure although at one point you can hear me say "shut the fuck up" to some dreadlocked bitch in the front who kept chiming in when I was talking. Finally got the crowds attention when I threw out the Jell-O shot bit.

Totally missed an opportunity to destroy some chick who got super offended about me making fun of single women and cats.

Worth it to stick around for the suicide bit at the end.

Good, you handled the hostile crowd well.

You seem to bounce from joke to joke pretty quickly. You could tell a story, Carlos Mencia, Joe Rogan, Eddie Murphy's stand up is funny when they are telling a funny anecdote.

Just finished this set right now. Not a lot of people and the video and audio kind of sucks but I fucking nailed it. Can't hear most the laughs but gained quite a few more fans.

The dude heckling was clearly a crackhead. When I yelled "dad! Dad come back"

He pops in and said "email me when you said something funny"

So my response was "......when you beat that addiction"

Got a YUUUUGE show coming up the 30th so testing out some material at these open mics.

Good, you handled the hostile crowd well.

You seem to bounce from joke to joke pretty quickly. You could tell a story, Carlos Mencia, Joe Rogan, Eddie Murphy's stand up is funny when they are telling a funny anecdote.

Oh shit just saw his. Thanks man. I won that crowd over pretty damn well, proud of it honestly.

The video I've been trying to upload is a video of me performing with a bassist behind me. It helps me keep my speech in a consistent pattern. Definitely I need to work on my timing still but as bad as it seems now it's so much better.

man small club comedy looks like a shit gig

holy shit just call security like amy chuck schumer

Yeah that doesn't work on the smaller club circuit. They tend not to give a fuck on open mic nights. I've even done shows with no security, which I always felt a bit odd.
man small club comedy looks like a shit gig

It certainly can be. I'm excited and also not excited at all about getting my first eastern seaboard tour. Bad nights on stage are brutal in the comedy scene. I'm stoked to show you guys my comedy parlor set though, biggest feature I've ever gotten.

I'm doing stand up for the first time in about 4 years this weekend, hopefully the crowd isn't this rowdy. How did the first timers do that night handling a crowd like that?

I'm doing stand up for the first time in about 4 years this weekend. Hopefully the crowd isn't this rowdy, how did the first timers do that night handling a crowd like that?

Crowds tend to be pretty chill to first timers. Honestly my first few sets were the easiest out of my first few months.

You become highly critical of yourself and start to put some things together if you take it seriously.

Some of the best advice I can give you man are to

1) be loose. Have your set written in your notes with three sentences when you start. Beginning line, something in the middle, and the punch line. It's better to flow, feel the crowd, and alter your material on the go. I've gotten my notes down to one line for a show, which took a very long time to get to. Learn from my mistake there.

2) there will be bad audiences, especially in the beginning levels. Someone gave me advice here a year ago that helped me a lot in that regard. Know when an audience is just a shit crowd and just roll with it. I've gotten very aggressive with audiences when they're shitty. Don't lose your confidence onstage.

3) know your time. Rehearse your material and time it. First time the whole length then time the length of each joke. Get a solid five minutes. I test out so much new material because in the end they're all combined into a story, and those tend to last two to five minutes. Consider a solid string of jokes following a theme.

4) thing of every single joke as a one many play. Each joke and story has several acts, and you have to commit to them. I fucked up A LOT in that video in the OP, I started several bits and bailed into others because I was so nervous, a clear concise story can help you in that regard.

5) record your first set!! Don't post it here, people are fucking assholes and it takes awhile to get used to it. But study it, notice what people laugh at, your timing, so on so forth.

But ultimately have fun on stage man. People vibe off that so much and as long as it looks like you're enjoying yourself they'll feel your energy.

Crowds tend to be pretty chill to first timers. Honestly my first few sets were the easiest out of my first few months.

You become highly critical of yourself and start to put some things together if you take it seriously.

Some of the best advice I can give you man are to

1) be loose. Have your set written in your notes with three sentences when you start. Beginning line, something in the middle, and the punch line. It's better to flow, feel the crowd, and alter your material on the go. I've gotten my notes down to one line for a show, which took a very long time to get to. Learn from my mistake there.

2) there will be bad audiences, especially in the beginning levels. Someone gave me advice here a year ago that helped me a lot in that regard. Know when an audience is just a shit crowd and just roll with it. I've gotten very aggressive with audiences when they're shitty. Don't lose your confidence onstage.

3) know your time. Rehearse your material and time it. First time the whole length then time the length of each joke. Get a solid five minutes. I test out so much new material because in the end they're all combined into a story, and those tend to last two to five minutes. Consider a solid string of jokes following a theme.

4) thing of every single joke as a one many play. Each joke and story has several acts, and you have to commit to them. I fucked up A LOT in that video in the OP, I started several bits and bailed into others because I was so nervous, a clear concise story can help you in that regard.

5) record your first set!! Don't post it here, people are fucking assholes and it takes awhile to get used to it. But study it, notice what people laugh at, your timing, so on so forth.

But ultimately have fun on stage man. People vibe off that so much and as long as it looks like you're enjoying yourself they'll feel your energy.

Thanks for the advice man, my main problem is that I analyze my jokes so much that I no longer think they are funny and then I get so nervous that they just suck and no one will laugh when I say them on stage. Just going to go for it though, did quite a bit of open mic nights when I was 18, which was pretty easy since I was super naive and had no fear, but I'm a lot more self-conscious now.

Thanks for the advice man, my main problem is that I analyze my jokes so much that I no longer think they are funny and then I get so nervous that they just suck and no one will laugh when I say them on stage. Just going to go for it though, did quite a bit of open mic nights when I was 18, which was pretty easy since I was super naive and had no fear, but I'm a lot more self-conscious now.

How did it go man?!

The open mic is actually tomorrow, I dunno why I originally said weekend.

Good luck. I've tested a few jokes tonight that went weirdly.

I tested out this one.

"I picked up a girl on Tinder.. at first I was curious why all her pictures were neck up. Which is common for big girls so I rolled with it.

Quite frankly I should have been suspicious when she asked if my van was wheelchair accessible, but the prospect of a one night stand can fill a mans senses.. When I picked her up I realized what she meant.

Now I want to preface I've always wanted to date a girl in a wheelchair... Not only is she super flexible.. She can skip the long lines at Disneyland. The perfect combination for a man child."

LIf you ever see a girl with Jäger in her purse. Don't worry about kids. She had them but they're not around anymore... No they're not dead! DHS just took them away. I'm beginning to just think DHS is just postpartum unplanned parenthood."

I also closed with a suicide joke that was so dark I got zero laughs, just a look of shock on the face of every single person in the crowd lol.

Be sure to let us know how you do!

Good luck. I've tested a few jokes tonight that went weirdly.

I tested out this one.

"I picked up a girl on Tinder.. at first I was curious why all her pictures were neck up. Which is common for big girls so I rolled with it.

Quite frankly I should have been suspicious when she asked if my van was wheelchair accessible, but the prospect of a one night stand can fill a mans senses.. When I picked her up I realized what she meant.

Now I want to preface I've always wanted to date a girl in a wheelchair... Not only is she super flexible.. She can skip the long lines at Disneyland. The perfect combination for a man child."

LIf you ever see a girl with Jäger in her purse. Don't worry about kids. She had them but they're not around anymore... No they're not dead! DHS just took them away. I'm beginning to just think DHS is just postpartum unplanned parenthood."

I also closed with a suicide joke that was so dark I got zero laughs, just a look of shock on the face of every single person in the crowd lol.

Be sure to let us know how you do!

Haha i like that Jager joke a lot man.

I did my set today to time it out and man it made me a lot more nervous, just felt so weird and awkward. But then again I felt the same way the first time I did stand up and tested out my stuff by myself, so I'm hoping it doesn't feel as weird doing it in front of people.

I'll be sure to update when I get home tomorrow.

Spend more time on your material. You seem pretty natural on-stage and are very capable mitigating a shit crowd, but the jokes are holding you back. Planned Parenthood one just needs the timing worked on. The dick pick one is promising-- just work on setting it up better (maybe 'and it makes some people really paranoid, but I honestly just feel grateful that'....), which you very well may have planned to. I imagine it's a rush to get to the punchline and elicit a laugh when you're against a mob.

You see when I have a rowdy crowd I like to do this.

Haha i like that Jager joke a lot man.

I did my set today to time it out and man it made me a lot more nervous, just felt so weird and awkward. But then again I felt the same way the first time I did stand up and tested out my stuff by myself, so I'm hoping it doesn't feel as weird doing it in front of people.

I'll be sure to update when I get home tomorrow.
Thanks bro. I think I may have just been dark all night, that's just the punchline for a bit about being able to figure out the types of girls based on what they drink.

Girls who carry..

Rumple: leave them alone? They drink to relieve their sorority days.

Blueberry Burnetts: send her on her way because you don't need another statistory charge.

Girls with a water bottle of vodka in their purse is the most wonderful way to get chlamydia you will ever feel.

Finished it with the jäger bit and it went well but yeah. I was so stoked, in my head I thought the suicide bit would land, the way I told it just left everyone looking at me with horror lol.

Man. Just pick who you are on stage and FUCKING BE HIM. When your fingers wrap around that mic, you trust yourself. Be a fucking asshole if you have to. Believe in yourself man. I've been told I have "superhero levels of self confidence" on stage and I don't truly believe I'm good at this but goddamn when I'm holding that mic I fucking believe it.

You want to do this? Find your switch. It makes bad nights so much easier and the good nights so much better.
Spend more time on your material. You seem pretty natural on-stage and are very capable mitigating a shit crowd, but the jokes are holding you back. Planned Parenthood one just needs the timing worked on. The dick pick one is promising-- just work on setting it up better (maybe 'and it makes some people really paranoid, but I honestly just feel grateful that'....), which you very well may have planned to. I imagine it's a rush to get to the punchline and elicit a laugh when you're against a mob.

Like I said man, I was fucking panicking, and I hella went out of my way to do my best not to show them I was. There's early shows of me where I went HARD after the crowd.

Yeah tonight I tried to mash a lot of my bits together, those jokes that landed I'm trying to combine into one bit.

If you checked my last post you can see my "unplanned parenthood" , the #standwithplannedparenthoof fad died way faster than I thought it would.
You see when I have a rowdy crowd I like to do this.

Lol

There's ten people here. I'm doing this entire set in my underwear. Fuck em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back