Using only Dumbbells

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXJonathanXx

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I train at home and have a pair of adjustable dumbbells with pretty much unlimited weight( can always buy more).

Does using only dumbbells put me in disadvantage to those using barbells? or is it the other way around?

Do you guys know the weight ratios for using dumbbells rather than barbells in squats, military presses, benches, Dls etc.

you can perform variations of classic barbell movements with your dumbells. so yes

Barbells let you use more weight, dumbbells recruit muscles for stabilization. Ideally you would use both.

Hey,

I train at home and have a pair of adjustable dumbbells with pretty much unlimited weight( can always buy more).

Does using only dumbbells put me in disadvantage to those using barbells? or is it the other way around?

Do you guys know the weight ratios for using dumbbells rather than barbells in squats, military presses, benches, Dls etc.

What was the question again?

For best results you're going to want to use both a barbell and dumbells. But the same reps schemes and lifting principles apply for both: strive for quantifiable progress.

Enjoy squatting with your dumbbells. Let me know how that goes for you.

Depends what you want to do, and how strong you are now. If you are obsessed about having the worlds most amazing shoulders and are doing side arm raises with your magnificent 185lb dumbbells, when then you've answered your own question. If you want functional strength, you need to get more equipment, or *gasp*, join a gym.

The more you use Dumbbells, you start developing little cuts all over your body. The longer you go using dumbbells, the more cuts you get.

After a while, the cuts start to meld together and then you become one giant pussy.

depends on what your doing. I would deadlift and squat with barbell all the time. But i change between dumbells and barbells for pressing movments every few months.

you should do both.

ex:
week 1: barbell bench press
week 2: dumbbell bench press
week 3: barbell bench press

etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back