Using only Dumbbells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbells will afford your body the opportunity to learn maximal loading much quicker than with dumbbells. Dumbbells will, however, permits a greater range of motion with certain exercises (e.g. DB Bench Press) that might be more beneficial to recruiting smaller, stabilizing muscle groups. Do both, but utilizing a structured loading scheme, such as the one the poster above has written.

Barbells will afford your body the opportunity to learn maximal loading much quicker than with dumbbells. Dumbbells will, however, permits a greater range of motion with certain exercises (e.g. DB Bench Press) that might be more beneficial to recruiting smaller, stabilizing muscle groups. Do both, but utilizing a structured loading scheme, such as the one the poster above has written.

Merging multiple posts is much more fun than deleting them.

does anyone know if barbells will afford my body the opportunity to learn maximal loading much quicker than with dumbbells?

actually i use db's for the majority of my lifting. i prefer using them and i dont have a great amount of space.

well you certainly can use more weight with a barbell but never in a fight will you have to grab something thats completely straight, with the weight evenly distributed between both sides, and at a comfortable position to start with.

I think Dbells are just more functional. I'm gonna save up for a bar and extra plates and get one pretty soon for real Deadlifts tho...

As for squats with dumbells I do them with half my bodyweight in each hand so thats about 43 Kgs each arm for a couple sets of five. It kills your grip but thats great, I even try to stick in a thick dumbell sometimes for more grip work.
And when you lift the Dbells from the ground its pretty much a deadlift isn't it? Should i count that a rep? with it its more like 6 reps with that weight..

And I'm not gonna join a Gym ever in my life.

well you certainly can use more weight with a barbell but never in a fight will you have to grab something thats completely straight, with the weight evenly distributed between both sides, and at a comfortable position to start with.
And you will never have to hit a Thai pad or heavy bag in a fight, so scratch that from your workouts. And take off that headgear, because you can't use that in the ring. And stop all those hill sprints because when was the last time you had to run up a hill while fighting someone?

And when you lift the Dbells from the ground its pretty much a deadlift isn't it? Should i count that a rep? with it its more like 6 reps with that weight..
haha i laughed so hard.

you fucking loser.

I think Dbells are just more functional. I'm gonna save up for a bar and extra plates and get one pretty soon for real Deadlifts tho...

As for squats with dumbells I do them with half my bodyweight in each hand so thats about 43 Kgs each arm for a couple sets of five. It kills your grip but thats great, I even try to stick in a thick dumbell sometimes for more grip work.

And I'm not gonna join a Gym ever in my life.

I am in awe of your sub 200lbs squat. You are the champion of functional strength.

And you will never have to hit a Thai pad or heavy bag in a fight, so scratch that from your workouts. And take off that headgear, because you can't use that in the ring. And stop all those hill sprints because when was the last time you had to run up a hill while fighting someone?

Bullshit.

theres such a big difference between what you are saying and what I said before.

the thing is this: Are you training to say you lifted X pounds or are you lifting to be seriously strong.

And I'm not scratching anything off my workouts just switching it with a more functional version of the given exercise instead.

gza: real easy talking like that on the net. you do that a lot?

Barut: I'm 15 and just started lifting, If I had a squat rack and some equipment I might have been closer to that number.

disappointed.jpg

my friend its going to be a long day for you

Bullshit.

theres such a big difference between what you are saying and what I said before.
There is absolutely no difference. But if you can convince yourself there is, then you can happily remain a weak little pussy.

Bullshit.

the thing is this: Are you training to say you lifted X pounds or are you lifting to be seriously strong.

And I'm not scratching anything off my workouts just switching it with a more functional version of the given exercise instead.

gza: real easy talking like that on the net. you do that a lot?

Barut: I'm 15 and just started lifting, If I had a squat rack and some equipment I might have been closer to that number.

What the fuck does 'functional' mean? Who is stronger: a guy who can squat 400lbs or a guy who can squat 200lbs? How is being weaker more functional?

Why would you need a squat rack to lift with db's?

I would need a squat rack to squat with a barbell.

Barut: Don't take me for example, I don't squat with dumbells because of choice but because of lack of equipment.

and for the functional part: who is stronger the guy who can bench 300 lbs in a machine or 250 with free weights?

same goes for dumbbells: I bet you can't bench the same weight with dumbbells you can with a barbell.

sure its less comfortable but what in a fight will be?

The reason you can lift more with a barbell than a dumbbell is the same reason you can lift more with a machine than with a barbell.

the question is:
Are you choosing what is harder to do or the one that you can say a big number along with?

Old man:

When using a machine there is one dimension of movement, the one the machine was built for. therefore no stabilizing muscles are working and absolute isolation is received.

When using a barbell u gain another dimension of movement, therefore stabilizing muscles do work.but you suddenly have a bottleneck. if those stabilizing muscles aren't strong enough you will fail.

With a Dumbbell you gain yet another dimension of movement and more, sometimes smaller stabilizing muscles start to work. muscles you might not have trained before. This would be the hardest one of all. And IMO the most natural of the three.

What the fuck does 'functional' mean? Who is stronger: a guy who can squat 400lbs or a guy who can squat 200lbs? How is being weaker more functional?

and for the functional part: who is stronger the guy who can bench 300 lbs in a machine or 250 with free weights?

Johnathan,

You stupid asshole. How is your post a valid counter-point to the post above?

Johnathan, you are 15 and just started lifting so just to cut the crap - yes its OK for you to use Dbells for some time now on, you can squat with them and shit...but seriously you dont expect people squating 500lbs use DBs ???
you see often 250lbs dumbells ??

At 15, it is wise to keep your ears open and your mouth shut. I'll be 30 this year and I'm still getting milage out of this technique.

I would need a squat rack to squat with a barbell.

Barut: Don't take me for example, I don't squat with dumbells because of choice but because of lack of equipment.

Who squats more?

same goes for dumbbells: I bet you can't bench the same weight with dumbbells you can with a barbell.

I don't know how much I can bench, but I bet I can press more overhead than you can bench.

sure its less comfortable but what in a fight will be?

*scratches head, carries the one...*

I'm stumped.

The reason you can lift more with a barbell than a dumbbell is the same reason you can lift more with a machine than with a barbell.

Because a barbell is lifted in a set ROM?

the question is:
Are you choosing what is harder to do or the one that you can say a big number along with?

The question is: are you going to work your stabilizers at the expense of getting stronger? My stabilizers are strong enough to hold more than 300lbs OH. Are yours?

Old man:

When using a machine there is one dimension of movement, the one the machine was built for. therefore no stabilizing muscles are working and absolute isolation is received.

When using a barbell u gain another dimension of movement, therefore stabilizing muscles do work.but you suddenly have a bottleneck. if those stabilizing muscles aren't strong enough you will fail.

With a Dumbbell you gain yet another dimension of movement and more, sometimes smaller stabilizing muscles start to work. muscles you might not have trained before. This would be the hardest one of all. And IMO the most natural of the three.

Lifting with your hands encrusted with broken glass would be harder too. Harder is not always better.

Hey,

I'm stupid? Are you actually reading what I wrote or quoting random texts and cursing?

of course that if two people are squatting with the same technique and equipment and one who is using more weight is the stronger one. And function doesn't have a part here.

but that wasn't the deal here the deal was dumbbells Vs barbells I don;t know where the " If a guy squats 400 lbs and another 200 ......." thing came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back