Urijah Faber is a great fight for Alex Caceres

mihailovich

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't know why people are complaining about the fight between Uriah Faber & Alex Caceres. As a huge Bruce Leeroy fan, I was hoping for this kind of opportunity to be given to him.

On paper:
Last two times Urijah lost a title fight, he came back against Brian Bowles (riding 2-fight win streak over Damacio Page & Takeya Mizugaki) & Ivan Menjivar (riding 1-fight win streak against Azamat Gashimov).

For a guy who is 5-1-1 in UFC BW division (riding 5 fight win/unbeaten streak over Damacio Page, Motonobu Tezuka, Kyung Ho Kang, Roland Delorme & Sergio Pettis), an ex-contender with 6-3 record & coming off a loss in a title fight is not a mismatch.

In reality:
Faber is a clear favorite who needs to rebuild his momentum after getting finished by the best active BW on the planet. He's fought who's who in BW division & Caceres is a fresh face. Caceres on the other hand needs this kind of win to ever get the respect he wants. We know he's good, but the lack of top 10 win is keeping him out of the title picture. He has really nothing to lose (well, except his consciousness in a guillotine choke :redface:).

If Caceres even manages to give Faber a real tough fight, his stock will skyrocket (read in Joe Rogan voice). No need to make his record the BW version of Matt Brown's. Now we really see where he's at.

Penny for your thoughts.

Faber will crush him and does nothing for him, he has more to lose than to gain

This is why people are complaining. It's a mismatch and will likely be an easy win for Faber.

Likely is a bad argument.

Let's see the top 13 after Barao)

2 Raphael Assuncao (injured, should be fighting for the title)
3 Michael McDonald (already fought & won)
4 TJ Dillashaw (teammate, booked against Barao)
5 Eddie Wineland (already fought & won)
6 Takeya Mizugaki (already fought & won)
7 Iuri Alcantara (already fought & won)
8 Mike Easton (coming off 3 losses, I have no idea why he is #8)
9 Dominick Cruz (injured)
10 Francisco Rivera (booked against Mizugaki)
11 Erik Perez (booked against Caraway)
12 Johnny Eduardo (well, THIS could be good)
13 Alex Caceres (There you go)

I agree. Alex doesnt really stand a chance and i dont even see why he was given this fight. Faber can gain nothing from this fight.

This is huge is Caceres pulls this off.

odds will show him as a major underdog though.

Vbookie should be interesting the day before the fight on here.

I honestly think Caceres is improving fast enough that he'll be able to keep Faber at range. I don't think he'll win, but I think it'll be an entertaining fight and a HUGE learning experience for Caceres that will vault him further ahead in knowledge.

I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now the same match can be made and people will think Caceres could take it.

I agree. Alex doesnt really stand a chance and i dont even see why he was given this fight. Faber can gain nothing from this fight.

What does he even have left to gain?

He has huge trilogy fight against Cruz on hold. Anything besides that can be dismissed like you just did.

This is why people are complaining. It's a mismatch and will likely be an easy win for Faber.

And? UFC is not gonna rush Faber to another title shot. Let him beat up a few non-contenders.

Even though I don't see Alex being able to really do much of anything It's gonna be hard for Faber to LOOK good in any way.

He barely beat Sergio Pettis... some of you guys are talking like he beat Anthony Pettis.

Urijah has not only beaten almost everyone in the top 10, but he has finished them and dominated them.

Dangerous fight for faber and huge for leeroy his stock will rise no matter the outcome and faber has everything to lose

Faber via being better everywhere. Really bad match up for Caceres.

As a huge fan of Alex I' pumped for this fight. It would be fucking insane if he wins!

What I wanna see is Mayday vs Faber II in a year.

Mayday is improving in leaps and bounds, Faber is presumably at his peak if not starting to drop off but is always dangerous and will be legit until the day he retires. THAT would be a fight. Mayday just got to Faber a little early.

Guy is on a good streak he needs a top 10 why not give him someone in the top 10 not even close to a title shot. Fight makes perfect sense. I think this same thought process is with Matt Brown dude needs a fucking top 10 fight even if its the #2 guy.

I don't know why people are complaining about the fight between Uriah Faber & Alex Caceres. As a huge Bruce Leeroy fan, I was hoping for this kind of opportunity to be given to him.

On paper:
Last two times Urijah lost a title fight, he came back against Brian Bowles (riding 2-fight win streak over Damacio Page & Takeya Mizugaki) & Ivan Menjivar (riding 1-fight win streak against Azamat Gashimov).

For a guy who is 5-1-1 in UFC BW division (riding 5 fight win/unbeaten streak over Damacio Page, Motonobu Tezuka, Kyung Ho Kang, Roland Delorme & Sergio Pettis), an ex-contender with 6-3 record & coming off a loss in a title fight is not a mismatch.

In reality:
Faber is a clear favorite who needs to rebuild his momentum after getting finished by the best active BW on the planet. He's fought who's who in BW division & Caceres is a fresh face. Caceres on the other hand needs this kind of win to ever get the respect he wants. We know he's good, but the lack of top 10 win is keeping him out of the title picture. He has really nothing to lose (well, except his consciousness in a guillotine choke :redface:).

If Caceres even manages to give Faber a real tough fight, his stock will skyrocket (read in Joe Rogan voice). No need to make his record the BW version of Matt Brown's. Now we really see where he's at.

Penny for your thoughts.

Yes, but only on paper. Urijah has dominated every single challenge not named Barao and there's nothing suggesting he won't do that to Caceres. I agree that Caceres won't lose much in this fight, but he can gain immensely.

Yes, but only on paper. Urijah has dominated every single challenge not named Barao and there's nothing suggesting he won't do that to Caceres. I agree that Caceres won't lose much in this fight, but he can gain immensely.

Yep. UFC needs new guys to gain immensely. Faber is a household name & nowhere near a title shot. He's too good for gatekeeper status, but that's what he's doing with this fight.

Caceres got outpunched by a flyweight in Pettis till Sergio got tired and submitted by being 10kg lighter and 3 inches smaller, the only question about this fight is if Faber knocks him out, knocks him down then submits him or just submits him.
He stands no fucking chance in hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back