Urijah Faber is a great fight for Alex Caceres

I agree with this being a mismatch. Urijah is gonna destroy Alex. However, I really don't think it matters. Urijah is in a weird spot. He's way better than anyone except the champion...but I would say barao beats him 99 times out of 100.

I think it's a mental thing in his case. Anyways, he will lose to someone else than the champion eventually. People who say Faber is too good for Alex are acting like Faber was the champion. He is not.

People inside top 10 must fight people outside top 10 sometimes. Should Faber fight #8 Mike Easton next? He's 0-3 in his last 3. Rankings don't matter, momentum does.

OK so after you feed Bruce Leeroy to Faber you have what...? Faber is still a perennial bridesmaid, and now you've burned a potential contender on a good streak for nothing.

Maybe UFC is really hoping Caceres pulls a Johnny Eduardo on Faber but I can't see it.

I'm the biggest Caceres fan ever. I may love him more than his mother does.
And... I hate this match. Enough said.
It's too soon for Alex. Of course he loves this match. Wouldn't he love a match against Barao also?
Still, too soon.

It is an obvious mismatch. Leroy's very unorthodox style of fighting may create problems for some lower-mid level fighters, but not a top fighter and MMA veteran like Faber.

I'm the biggest Caceres fan ever. I may love him more than his mother does.
And... I hate this match. Enough said.
It's too soon for Alex. Of course he loves this match. Wouldn't he love a match against Barao also?
Still, too soon.

His stock will not fall at all if he just puts on a good fight, which I think he will.

EDIT: Plus, people are sleeping on his reach & striking technique.

I like Leroy but Faber is going to ragdoll him and probably choke him out, unfortunately.

Sure, but if Faber totally blows him out of the water (like he did to Bowles, a former champ) he's pretty much forever labelled as a guy that is nowhere near the top of the division.

No way is this a bad fight for Caceres. He's bigger, longer and has tons of heart as well as nothing to lose. I see this as a bad match up for Faber.

Sure, but if Faber totally blows him out of the water (like he did to Bowles, a former champ) he's pretty much forever labelled as a guy that is nowhere near the top of the division.

Well Derp, we'll never see if he is if he doesn't fight against an elite opponent. This same conversation has been going on with Matt Brown for a while now. There no sense in over 5 fight win streaks without even one top 10 opponent. Alex actually could be on a 7 fight win streak without smoking weed & that 2-point deduction against Figueroa.

Faber is a huge step up, but Alex skips maybe one "step" here. Caceres is pretty much unknown. I still think it's a great fight for him, win or lose.

Remember that Faber almost lost to Alc

No way is this a bad fight for Caceres. He's bigger, longer and has tons of heart as well as nothing to lose. I see this as a bad match up for Faber.

I'm pretty sure that Faber cuts more weight to make 135 than Caceres does.

Is this fight right for Faber? He should fight a highly ranked guy.

I am anticipating one of the most one-sided beatings at this overall level of competition in a while.

It's a great opportunity for Caceres and I can completely understand why he asked for it, but he's gonna be greatly outmatched and has very little chance of winning. I'd predict a first round finish for Faber

From Faber's perspective he's probably willing to fight anyone who wants to fight right now. Everyone in the division is either already booked or Faber has already beaten them recently, and his rank means pretty much nothing at this point since he's not gonna be getting a title shot again anytime soon

I hope Caceres pulls off the upset. Seems like they are feeding him to Faber for an easy win...

I hope Caceres pulls off the upset. Seems like they are feeding him to Faber for an easy win...

I don't think it's like that at all. I think Alex saw a great opportunity for himself. If he loses, nobody expected him to win, and if he wins he's immediately a title contender. Faber needed a fight and had limited options so Alex asked for it. For Faber, why not? Who else is he gonna fight?

Faber wont lose and its nice to get him back on track. I, for one, like this match up!

Is this fight right for Faber? He should fight a highly ranked guy.

You couldn't make it to the 4th post in the thread? Christ, man...

Likely is a bad argument.

Let's see the top 13 after Barao)

2 Raphael Assuncao (injured, should be fighting for the title)
3 Michael McDonald (already fought & won)
4 TJ Dillashaw (teammate, booked against Barao)
5 Eddie Wineland (already fought & won)
6 Takeya Mizugaki (already fought & won)
7 Iuri Alcantara (already fought & won)
8 Mike Easton (coming off 3 losses, I have no idea why he is #8)
9 Dominick Cruz (injured)
10 Francisco Rivera (booked against Mizugaki)
11 Erik Perez (booked against Caraway)
12 Johnny Eduardo (well, THIS could be good)
13 Alex Caceres (There you go)

Great post! Thanks for the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back