Economy Unrealized capital gains tax

It's supposedly only applicable to the "super wealthy".

That being said, once that door is open, who knows how wide it may swing in years to come. We already see instances of "unrealized gains" in the taxation world. Anyone who owns properties knows that when their annual property taxes are raised, it's from a a theoretical rise in value, even though the property owner has not realized a tangible cent of that rise in valuation. It's just a number on paper.

The people who pretend this is a nothingburger are either partisan hacks or historically unaware.
According to democrats, 250K and up is wealthy and if your assets are that much, so be it, wars are expensive

It's retarded and the main proponents aren't known for being impressive thinkers when it comes to economics.

Why should the Gov get a cut of anyone's money after they die?

Because you and your deceased family were never able to accumulate any wealth?
Why should anyone be able to get a bunch of money tax free because someone died?

Tax free? It was already taxed when it was earned. Government doesn't deserve even more of a cut of what you've earned for your children to redistribute it to others.
It was taxed when the person who earned it earned it.
Your poor ass will never pay a federal estate tax.
Every dollar I spend or make has already been taxed.

It was taxed when the person who earned it earned it.
Your poor ass will never pay a federal estate tax.
Every dollar I spend or make has already been taxed.
Yea retard, that's what I said. Struck a nerve calling you out I guess. Not everyone is a brokie like you 🤣

You mean an idea where billionaires wont be able to hoard their stock value, tax free...while borrowing against that value to live on, tax free?

Christ no. What an absurd concept.

Yea retard, that's what I said. Struck a nerve calling you out I guess. Not everyone is a brokie like you 🤣
I guess you missed the point. When you earn or receive money, then you pay tax on it, regardless of the source. You can give like 15 grand as a tax free gift.
I’m not broke. I’m debt free and could take the rest of the year off if I want cause I already made more than I need, but being self employed, I will continue to bust my ass and save for a retirement.

God, they got you guys by the balls, huh?

Laws that only affect the super rich should be rejected because 'you could be next'? Seriously???

Not even talking about this policy BTW, more the kneejerk concern as an automated reaction.

Sounds like the government has you by the balls if you're thinking that they need even more of our money.

Not just directed at you, but if you guys think that the government needs more money, why aren't you all banding together and making extra contributions? Seems like you're all about forcing other people to pay up. Why not put your money where your mouth is and start donating to the government?

According to democrats, 250K and up is wealthy and if your assets are that much, so be it, wars are expensive
250k Puts someone in the top 5-10%. I think it's fair to say if you make more money than 90-95% of people, it's fair to call you wealthy.

But that isn't relevant here as the proposed threshold started at 100 million.

(Unless you want to use the same "slippery slope can't touch the super rich as they'll come for my 401k money next!" Argument.)

Tax free? It was already taxed when it was earned. Government doesn't deserve even more of a cut of what you've earned for your children to redistribute it to others.

Normal things are usually taxed when there is any transference of ownership. Your contention is like saying I shouldn't have to pay taxes on the car my Mom gave me simply because she gave it to me. Of course I pay taxes on it, because I'm a completely different person.

You wealth-worshippers are f*ckin weird. You scream about taxes on earned income, and then you scream about even the idea of taxing income that wasnt earned, while at the same time decrying against "entitlement programs."

250k Puts someone in the top 5-10%. I think it's fair to say if you make more money than 90-95% of people, it's fair to call you wealthy.

(Unless you want to use the same "slippery slope can't touch the super rich as they'll come for my 401k money next!" Argument.)

Slippery slope fallacy is always in full effect when reactionaries want us to be terrified of the same imaginary bullsh*t their tentative centimillionaire selves have to deal with.

You mean an idea where billionaires wont be able to hoard their stock value, tax free...while borrowing against that value to live on, tax free?

Christ no. What an absurd concept.
It won’t effect them at all and it will effect middle class. I know pelosi pinky swore but you have to be completely brain dead to think otherwise by now

Not a fan. Is fine now just handling once realized.

Normal things are usually taxed when there is any transference of ownership. Your contention is like saying I shouldn't have to pay taxes on the car my Mom gave me simply because she gave it to me. Of course I pay taxes on it, because I'm a completely different person.

You wealth-worshippers are f*ckin weird. You scream about taxes on earned income, and then you scream about even the idea of taxing income that wasnt earned, while at the same time decrying against "entitlement programs."
A lot of places in the states you wouldn't pay a tax on a car if it was a gift between family members. Great example!
Wealth worshippers lmao? You're fucking weird. Keep praising the idea of taxing and punishing people who are planning for their future and their kids. Fuck me for trying to get ahead and pass along generational wealth right ? Should take 30% of that and give it to my neighbor instead or fund wars. Great idea.

$250k in assets starts much earlier than the top 10%. Educate yourself sometime.

They aren't getting a cut of your money when you die.

The estate tax is on the transfer of wealth between you and your inheritor. It's like a gift tax on the person receiving a gift of value exceeding the lifetime limit, except you're dead and it's on everything you own that you're transferring to them. If you gave your kid a house or a business or anything of value you would have to declare it and if the value exceeded the lifetime limit you would have to pay a tax.

The lifetime tax exclusion for gifts is already pretty fucking high.
And that would make you feel better if the government got a cut? It sounds like it. Do you somehow think your life would improve more if:
1. There was an inheritance tax
Or
2. You don't have the pay the inheritance tax

Because it's the deseased to give...
and the person that receives it has to pay tax on it.
When people win the lottery, they pay tax on it.
When people win a car on a game show, they pay tax on it.
The tax is on the receiver, not the giver.
If I hire someone and pay them money should they not have to pay tax on it because I paid them with money i earned and already paid tax on?

and the person that receives it has to pay tax on it.
When people win the lottery, they pay tax on it.
When people win a car on a game show, they pay tax on it.
The tax is on the receiver, not the giver.
If I hire someone and pay them money should they not have to pay tax on it because I paid them with money i earned and already paid tax on?
If you really belive that an inheritance tax is a positive thing then I feel bad for you.

Ah...the ol " slippery slope"
That's right. I don't trust the government in general, especially the left. Better for this thing never to get off the ground so it can't be eventually weaponized against the middle class, which it inevitably would be.

Back