Unpopular Opinions: UFC

cruz cannot even be the GOAT of his division. most overrated fighter of all time
Came to say this. Dude bounces around like a methhead while throwing pitter patter punches and doesnt even try to finish fights. Cant stand him.

Martial Art
  1. various sports or skills, mainly of Japanese origin, that originated as forms of self-defense or attack, such as judo, karate, and kendo

Well it is a sport that originated, I would also say it is a form of self defense or attack. It is not Japanese but it says "mainly" meaning not all martial arts are Japanese.
you don't earn a black belt in wrestling like in other real martial arts, therefore, wrestling not a martial arts.

Jones will fuck up and go to jail, DC will retire and Luke Rockhold will become UFC LHW champ by the end of the year.

There's been like four entertaining WMMA fights ever.

Noone below 185, maybe even 205, should be considered in GOAT talks.

Conor would have had great run at LW in the UFC if he hadn't made so much money and gone on a break after the Eddie fight.

MMA will never be as big as the current mainstream sports.

UFC will be better when Dana fucks off.

Conor doesn’t have the power or TDD to be at the top of LW. It wasn’t the money it was the skill and physical limitations

-Dominick Cruz is a top 5 GOAT and it's criminal that he isn't mentioned as much in the GOAT talks.

-Darren Till would be MW champ if he ever decided to move up.

-Iaquinta beats T Ferg and everyone else at LW besides Khabib.

-Tyron Woodley is underrated and not as boring as people think.

Shoot.
giphy.gif

You should have numbered them.

1. No. Cruz did well against a work-in-progress division. He deserves a lot of credit for that. He even fought dead even (IMO) with Dillashaw for five rounds, which is very impressive. He deserves to be in the conversation simply by virtue of being the current GOAT of his division, but he’s gotta come out clearly below guys like GSP, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Jon Jones, etc.

2. I doubt it. Till’s decent but it’s not he’s got some sick skills. He stalks forward and loads up his left hand with his chin up in the air. No reason whatsoever to think that he’d have anything for Yoel, Knuckles, Adesanya, Jacare, etc. I would like to see it, but let’s see if he can beat Uriah Hall or Derek Brunson before we get crazy here.

3. Maybe, but I lean towards no. He’s definitely decent. I don’t know how his striking is going to match up against the top guys though. He outpointed Lee because Lee is a bit too rudimentary standing and he was too gassed to take Al down. While it was a very impressive win, that’s a non-issue for various reasons against Poirier, Ferguson, Gaethje, Barboza, etc. I think he would need to pressure and knock out all four of those guys, and they all have the volume and/or striking talent to win a decision. Cerrone is a good matchup. If you’re title material you have to be able to beat Donald. Can Al’s punching beat a well rounded kick boxing game? We will find out.

4. Depends what you mean by underrated. Let’s ignore the belt and just look at his fights. Beating Maia by decision is something all three of the top wrestlers at 170 have done. Having a close decision against Wonderboy is something all of the top 6-7 guys at 170 are capable of. And while we’re talking about Wonderboy, I feel like people overlook the fact that Tyron only won one of those fights, and barely at that (I thought both were 47-47). Keeping your belt doesn’t me that we treat it like a win. Beating Lawler and Till by stoppage was very nice. Great career for Woodley, no doubt. But let’s see what happens now. If he goes on to knock out Lawler and then Colby, then puts up a better fight in the Usman rematch, then yes, I’ll feel like I underrated him this whole time. But I think he’s liable to go out with a whimper. That’s just my hunch.

Jabidi is a can crusher. McConor sucks. Tony "Holy Water" Ferguson will never be the legit champ. DC is the GOAT

Till is not a natural WW and I think that cutting so much weight has had a negative effect on his chin.

And it's not like it hasn't happened before. Since Whittaker moved up to MW he hasn't lost and is currently reigning as Champion.

Yup. While I think Till’s prospects at 185 are very much up in the air, the whole “X fought at lightweight and beat Y at welterweight” math is a joke.

Gastelum lost to Magny at welterweight. Imagine telling someone after that fight that you think KG will beat the shit out of Kennedy and Bisping and then beat Jacare to earn a title shot.

Imagine telling someone the night that Cerrone got mauled by RDA that he could move up and hang with Robbie Lawler, who knocked out Melvin Manhoef.

These lines of reasoning don’t work. Anthony Pettis knocked out Thompson who knocked out Whittaker, but Pettis probably couldn’t beat any of the top 6-7 featherweigts right now even though he can make that weight.

Till should be fine physically at 185, and I agree that he’d probably be more durable. He’d be huge. Problem would be the grapplers in my opinion.

CM Punk would be MW champ if he ever decided to move up.

PROVE ME WRONG!

Gina is the hottest female fighter of all time. Obviously that's just my opinion, but c'mon.

th

th

She’s not that hot. Wake up the next morning and see her in broad daylight with no makeup and you’ll realize that women are women for the most part. She’s very fit, and that goes a long way. But that’s it really. Nothing special, because nobody is.

B.J. Penn won the Welter title by submitting the then Welterweight GOAT, Matt Hughes. Imagine Khabib trying to do that. Oh yea, that's right, Khabib will never fight at 170 pounds.

I love how Khabib (and other champions) get shit for not moving up immediately after winning the belt. He just won the belt in a short notice bout, then effectively unified against the lineal champion in his most recent fight. I love BJ Penn, but Khabib would crush prime Hughes too FWIW.

I agree about Al, he probably would beat everyone not named Khabib. Al would be a bad match up for Tony. Tony gets hit too much to fight Al.

That crossed my mind. I think it remains to be seen whether or not Al has real KO power against the top guys though. He blasted Diego Sanchez, but it’s Diego Sanchez. Ferguson is an animal. You’ve gotta hurt him to keep him away from you. The fight Al fought against Lee, while impressive, never works against Tony IMO.

In a street fight, Nate punked Khabib badly, stuffed his takedown and two pieced him while Khabib ran to his friends

-Dominick Cruz is a top 5 GOAT and it's criminal that he isn't mentioned as much in the GOAT talks.

-Darren Till would be MW champ if he ever decided to move up.

-Iaquinta beats T Ferg and everyone else at LW besides Khabib.

-Tyron Woodley is underrated and not as boring as people think.

Shoot.
giphy.gif
Darren Till at MW couldn't knock out a wank.

B.J. Penn won the Welter title by submitting the then Welterweight GOAT, Matt Hughes. Imagine Khabib trying to do that. Oh yea, that's right, Khabib will never fight at 170 pounds.
Matt Hughes is still the WW GOAT.

Honda is the GOAT.

Chuck poked Tito in the eye.

Lord Chael threw the Anderson fight to make Andy a bigger star after the Maia debacle.

I don't think Chael threw the fight as any part of some sort of conspiracy... but I do think he wasn't expecting to ever get close to winning that fight... and that he knew he was going to pop for PEDs... and that he's a company man who understood the shitstorm that winning and then popping would cause... and that all of those things combined may have made him "lose his focus" just a tad, leading to the triangle.

Till is not a natural WW and I think that cutting so much weight has had a negative effect on his chin. If he decided to move up to MW and compete at a size that fits his body frame, I think he could be a monster.

Till got smashed by Woodley because Till tried an uppercut combo and Woodley crushed him with a hard counter right. That would have knocked down anybody.

Masvidal switched stances and hit a perfect overhand left. Till was backing straight up, chin up.

All the weight in the world is not going to help Till not get tagged like he did.

Back