4. Universal Soldiers
5. Street Fighter
6. Kickboxer
7. Hard Target
8. Knock Off
9. Time Cop
10. Lionheart

tumblr_nxam2uagvN1tpri36o1_500.gif

To be honest I feel like most earlier Van Dam suffers from the same problems a lot of US martial arts films in that era do, there was not really a ton of skill or flare for filming such content in Hollywood at the time.

With Woo in Hard Target I think you see just how much better the action is with a director who has both of those in spades.

Bloodsport and Kickboxer are still the best.

Double Team is underrated though. It's so over the top it's fun, but the drama is dramatic as fuck too. And he did a good job acting because by the end you really feel like the twins are 2 different people. And I loved all the basketball references. 🏀

Edit - shit I think I'm mixing up Double Team and Double Impact lol

Last edited:
I always thought this was underrated

I remember I first watched it back in the 90's and I had no idea who Dennis Rodman was because I'm not American and don't care about basketball, so I didn't even get all the basketball references

At one point they jump out of a plane, and instead of a parachute Rodman deploys something that turns them into a basketball. Not knowing it was a basketball reference and being a stupid kid I thought it must be some new technology that was gonna replace parachutes. It wasn't until years later when I watched it again knowing Rodman was a basketball player, that I realized it was just a terrible basketball reference

Yeah all the basketball puns are the best part imo. Plus the coke machine coming to the rescue at the end is amazing. Nothing better than a Hong Kong action director getting a big budget American film. It's definitely a good-bad film to watch with a buddy.

Reactions: Zer
Back