Unpopular opinion: UFC 301 is way more stacked than UFC 297

297 main-card wasn't that bad imo. Allen/Evloev was really good, left a lot of us wishing it was a 5 round FN main-event. Magny gave us a strong comeback of the year candidate, & DDP/Strickland was a solid FOTN. The other 2 fights were pretty rough though I'll admit.

I do think 301 is deeper overall & will provide more finishes, via lopsided matchmaking, but I highly doubt Pantoja/Erceg is as good as Strickland/DDP.

UFC 297 was an extremely lousy card before & after it happened.
UFC 301 is a stacked card from bottom to top.

Fuck the haters!
UFC 301 will be better than UFC 300
I was just talking about this in the other thread 301 has very good match making. it's definately better than 297

I do think 301 is deeper overall & will provide more finishes, via lopsided matchmaking, but I highly doubt Pantoja/Erceg is as good as Strickland/DDP.

Who Knows, Erceg might be game as hell being totally underlooked in enemy territory, 10 fight win streak, unknown guy.... kinda screams upset a bit.

297 had the better main event and Evloev/Allen is about as good or better than any fight on 301. But after that, not a whole lot there. I think 301 has better depth and more fun matchmaking though. All in all, I’d rate them pretty close to each other with slight edge to 301.

No card with 1 title fight headlined by a #10 Flyweight is “stacked”.

But it’s deep and got some fun fights so it’s understandable considering 300 stole the ME.

Didn't 297 not only have 2 title fights, but even originally had Volk vs Topuria on it as well? And Reyes vs Ulberg?

I didn't even realize 301 was this weekend.

Haven't watched any of the embedded episodes or thought much about it.

We're splitting hairs, neither of the ppv's are worth a crap tbh. There's literally not one fight that I can think of that peaks my interest on 301.

Last edited:
yeah but that never happened, I think walker vs magomed was on it too.
Yeah, but that doesn't matter, cuz he specifically referred to the booking of the card by saying "before and after"

Walker-Mag was the week before, I don't think it was ever officially lined up for 297

Because TS is lazy, here are the cards in question.

297:
1714656304981.png

And 301:
1714656340868.png

On paper, I was interested in like 4 fights going into 297 (ddp vs. strickland, Evloev vs. allen, woodsen vs jourdain, and robertson vs. viana)

On paper, I'm interested in 11 fights going into 301 (costa vs borjas, bonfim vs pichel, silva vs. close, brener vs orolbai, kk vs lucindo, shore vs brito and the entire main card.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that doesn't matter, cuz he specifically referred to the booking of the card by saying "before and after"

Walker-Mag was the week before, I don't think it was ever officially lined up for 297
I misremembered, It was Rakic vs Jan 2 booked for the card, that fight was the week before

I will certainly concede that if Ulberg vs reyes and Rakic vs jan actually appeared on 297 I'd maybe give the edge to that card.

Last edited:
Because TS is lazy, here are the cards in question.

297:
View attachment 1042029

And 301:
View attachment 1042030

On paper, I was interested in like 4 fights going into 297 (ddp vs. strickland, Evloev vs. allen, woodsen vs jourdain, and robertson vs. viana)

On paper, I'm interesting in 11 fights going into 301 (costa vs borjas, bonfim vs pichel, silva vs. close, brener vs orolbai, kk vs lucindo, shore vs brito and the entire main card.
You had no curiosity about Mike Mallot's test in Magny? And I'm always down to see Cachoeira get beat.

And even if the title is uninteresting, I'm still gonna care who wins it. Rocky vs MBS served just fine as a title fight on the co-main.

And I'm also interested in more fights on 301, but mostly more on the low interest side than I was for some of the bigger fights on 297.

Again, that's the card we ended up with, but TS suggested 297 was worse BEFORE too, and that's just obviously not true

Back