"The 3 Body Problem" book question.. what is the "spell?"

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
Without any spoilers, I just want to know what the "spell" is cast by Lou Ji on that one star? I'm nearing the end of the 2nd book and it's being brought up again. He cast the "spell" in the first book, I think. I don't want to Google it and come upon some spoilers. I'm enjoying the books tremendously. I read that part a few times, but I still could not understand what it is. I just forgot about it but apparently it's very important to the plot now.

Without any spoilers, I just want to know what the "spell" is cast by Lou Ji on that one star? I'm nearing the end of the 2nd book and it's being brought up again. He cast the "spell" in the first book, I think. I don't want to Google it and come upon some spoilers. I'm enjoying the books tremendously. I read that part a few times, but I still could not understand what it is. I just forgot about it but apparently it's very important to the plot now.
He cast the spell in the second book. Luoji wasn't in it first book.

The spell is basically broadcasting the spatial coordinate of a random star system to the broader space, and making it seem like the broadcast is coming from that random system, and thus signaling there's intelligent life there. According to the dark forest theory and game theory, any civilization is a potential threat to the incumbent space faring civilization and needs to be wiped out before they become a threat.

I'm guessing it's called a spell to hide the true intention of the broadcast, and also make it seem magical and elevate Luoji's mysticism as a wallfacer

Back