Unlike Conor, GSP doesn't need trashtalk or playing games to boost PPV sales.

As much as I like GSP and think he is the GOAT in my eyes he isn't a bigger PPV star than Conor.

I don't think GSP ever sold 800k then 1.2 million PPV buys back to back and McGregor is about to hit another milli with Nate Diaz I assume.

GSP was a big star but Conor is rewriting the book on what an MMA star is and what an MMA star demands money wise.

GSP never had a worldwide media tour to help sell a single fight, either. Also never fully coached a full season of TUF in a build up to a fight. A lot of the PPV buying public is here now because GSP helped build the sport's popularity. If GSP were to come into the sport now, built on the popularity of others, he'd probably be bigger than Conor. His charisma was natural and smooth, he wasn't a forced character like Conor.

Interesting perspective though I did a little research and three years into his UFC run GSP only sold 400,000 PPVs against Matt Serra. He was certainly a successful champ and a draw but not so much as Conor

The sport wasn't as big then as it is now. Bad comparison.

The sport is definitely a lot bigger now thanks to GSP and the efforts he put into promoting the sport as a whole.

You should follow the advice in your signature.

Such a humble and amazing guy. Im not from Canada but I can imagine canadians being proud of him.

Did all his talk in the cage. A special athlete competing on the top level for such a long time and retiring past his prime but still on as #1 WW. Lawler is doing good too. He is kickings asses while still being a nice guy.

Pure sport... not some WWE drama.
im canadian and i never cared for gsp because he aint a true fighter. *grab popcorn*

Interesting perspective though I did a little research and three years into his UFC run GSP only sold 400,000 PPVs against Matt Serra. He was certainly a successful champ and a draw but not so much as Conor
Yes. GSP was a slow, steady and consist build into his PPV ratings via a ton of work by getting himself out there worldwide to every event either the UFC or his sponsors asked him to attend.

This is an example of how GSP built up his fan base.

yPrTsx.gif

As a fun and approachable guy willing to go promote anywhere such as the Philippians or Japan.

The WWE method is faster and builds quicker but I also think it flames out quicker as people can get tired of the schtick relatively quick.

both guys are great for the sport

why do people always have to frame things as 'better than'??

yes, he layed and prayed his way to numerous 5 round boring decisions. Unlike conor. who just ko's guys in under 2 rounds. haha

Layed and prayed ?
19789999.jpg

Really?

I like Conors off the cuf comebacks, no one is better at it.

But a prolonged interview just becomes forced drama....that presser the other day was so grating after a while I had to quit it.
there are a big percent of MMA fans who are WWE fans. They like the soap opera and drama and really do not care much about the fights which is why they can watch the WWE even though they know the fights are not real and just a scripted dance. It is not the fighting they care about, but rather the drama and soap opera aspect.

As a Canadian and a fan of GSP I think the TS makes an interesting point. GSP had a different appeal that worked at a different time in MMA. He was the first of the "new breed" of MMA Champs who just completely outclassed his opponents and you tuned in to see if his challengers could even muster any defense.

But I agree with the sentiments that if he was around today he wouldn't be as popular and I feel this way because he failed to finish his later opponents. As his career progressed he became increasingly less dominant and more boring. Conor on the other hand is obliterating his opponents with ease. This is what makes him different: he is a finisher.

Couple that with the polarizing attitude and you have an athlete where people just don't tune in to see him win in spectacular fashion, but people are tuning in to hopefully see him finished in spectacular fashion.

When GSP was nearing the end of his career too often I would see people boo him and complain about how boring and unimpressive his victories were. No matter how dominant GSP was, finishing will always be better than decisions.

there are a big percent of MMA fans who are WWE fans. They like the soap opera and drama and really do not care much about the fights which is why they can watch the WWE even though they know the fights are not real and just a scripted dance. It is not the fighting they care about, but rather the drama and soap opera aspect.

So wrestling fans don't care about the actual wrestling? Sure it's scripted but what wrestlers do in the ring is its own kind of art and many fans of professional wrestling and MMA appreciate both for their different qualities.

Let's see how Conor pans out success wise over the ywars. 800k and 1.4 back to back is a great start but without the right opponent he could Def dip into the 500k range for some fights like gsp.

Very true, but it's also why Conor is making more than GSP ever did.
Yea it goes to show the mentality of the human race. Overall not very many smart people out there.

Really?

I like Conors off the cuf comebacks, no one is better at it.

But a prolonged interview just becomes forced drama....that presser the other day was so grating after a while I had to quit it.

GSP sounds very robotic. And it feels like he is more concerned about being politically correct than being sincere.

Such a humble and amazing guy. Im not from Canada but I can imagine canadians being proud of him.

Did all his talk in the cage. A special athlete competing on the top level for such a long time and retiring past his prime but still on as #1 WW. Lawler is doing good too. He is kickings asses while still being a nice guy.

Unlike GSP Connor became the ufc s biggest star after 2 years wit the company

Matt, I was not impressed by your performance.

The sport wasn't as big then as it is now. Bad comparison.

The sport is definitely a lot bigger now thanks to GSP and the efforts he put into promoting the sport as a whole.

You should follow the advice in your signature.

Lol, leave it to a sherdogger to get unnecessarily butthurt over a simple divergence of opinions.

GSP is P4P goat but Connor is very entertaining. The trash talk comes natural to him.

GSP was a true professional, in the cage and out. He often would act as his own translator at press conferences, meaning he would say everything in French and English for both sets of fans. The guy was a class act, respectful of the UFC, of the fans, of his opponents, and of mixed martial arts in general. Georges wasn't an act, he was himself and he embodies the spirit of competition in mixed martial arts. I hope he stays gone because he deserves it and his career speaks for itself. He beat every fighter he ever faced. That is pretty damn insane and doesn't get mentioned enough.

Unlike GSP Connor became the ufc s biggest star after 2 years wit the company

Conor had the full force of UFC's marketing behind him early on. GSP had to deal with the UFC wanting to keep Hughes as champion. GSP had to demolish everyone they put in front of him until the UFC had no choice but to give him a Hughes rematch.

GSP didn't have a string of favorable matchups on the way to the title, unlike McG.

"Will Smith doesn't have to cus in his raps to sell records".

Well I do, so f him and f you too. Lol

GSP was an amazing fighter and champion but if you think he is exciting to watch as connor mcgregor your taking some hard drugs or are extremely fucking delusional.

Back