Unlike Conor, GSP doesn't need trashtalk or playing games to boost PPV sales.

Such a humble and amazing guy. Im not from Canada but I can imagine canadians being proud of him.

Did all his talk in the cage. A special athlete competing on the top level for such a long time and retiring past his prime but still on as #1 WW. Lawler is doing good too. He is kickings asses while still being a nice guy.

Pure sport... not some WWE drama.

Oh really?

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=/m/08l5mk, /m/0rfgxy2, /m/094gkg&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT+8

Conor is more popular right now than GSP ever was. Robbie Lawler doesn't even register on the Conor scale.

You want to talk about pure sport? How about this for pure sport?

GSP is an ant compared to this guy in terms of interest and $$.

How many PPVs was he selling during his first 7 UFC fights? Also, what was the average PPV when GSP was getting big numbers vs the average PPV today? Oh....and Conor doesn't do an WWF drama he just speaks the truth.
Well, you can't compare them like that.
You only get those numbers now because guys like GSP and SIlva broke new territories and paved the way for the fighters today.
If UFC was that big when GSP or Silva arrived, their numbers would be exponentially bigger. (I don't know by much, but compaqring them with now is surely wrong IMHO)

Sorry up front for the off topic, I'll be brief.

literally never read a single one of your posts just because u put it in green

Same for me, when I see it I just go past it fast, I tried a few times to give it a fair try but it doesn't go well with the background and it seems my eyes don't take to kindly to it.

Don't know why the others are picking on you when you just pointed out what I think many of us do.

Basically think of real life, think of a random classroom, or random workplace. Let's say there's 30 people in a classroom. Out of that room, if you analyzed the personalities, it would be a bell curve, where "average" people would be in the middle peak (personality-wise, not intelligence), the "mean," hard to get along with people are on the far right side (out of 30, probably between 0 and 1 person like that in a random room), and then on the far left, you've got those "exceptionally" nice people. People who seem truly selfless and just lacks ego.

Hey there, may I ask why you chose to post in different color then all of us here, do you think it adds or hurts in the messages you are trying to put out ?

Nope, but the legions of women wanting some of that French-Canadian D probably didn't hurt his popularity. Him and Conor have different selling points.

Women love French Canadian in the US ?! Time to move baby!

Interesting perspective though I did a little research and three years into his UFC run GSP only sold 400,000 PPVs against Matt Serra. He was certainly a successful champ and a draw but not so much as Conor
The sport is much more established now and we have social media that play a big effect.

Well it work even better if you're a massive trash talker and Conor makes more than GSP ever did. Also, See PBF vs Money May transition. See Tyson. Ali, etc. Fans eat it up. it is what it is.

GSP probably could have made way more.

GSP understood the importance of marketing and selling fights. Which is why he kept calling kos the perfect villain. And why he demanded the Nick Diaz fight instead of Hendricks. All lost all of his best PPV numbers were grudge matches BJ, kos, Diaz, and Hardy.

Very true, but it's also why Conor is making more than GSP ever did.

Some ppl view making more money as being more successful. To some it's how you play the game that makes you special. I can't speak for all Canadians, but I was always very proud of him. And it was how he did it that mattered to me.

Your argument is pretty fuckin lame. The amount somebody else gets paid is a source of pride to you ? Hope you can talk him into buying you a nice car with all his loot. Conor has not earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence with GSP... And that's just talking about what they've accomplished in the octagon.

On the humanity scale, they can't even be mentioned in the same book.

Some ppl view making more money as being more successful. To some it's how you play the game that makes you special. I can't speak for all Canadians, but I was always very proud of him. And it was how he did it that mattered to me.

Your argument is pretty fuckin lame. The amount somebody else gets paid is a source of pride to you ? Hope you can talk him into buying you a nice car with all his loot. Conor has not earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence with GSP... And that's just talking about what they've accomplished in the octagon.

On the humanity scale, they can't even be mentioned in the same book.

Point out where I stated I liked Conor more than GSP. Don't make stupid assumptions, all I said was that Conor being brash and "alpha" is the reason he has exceeded GSPs earnings in such a short time.

Point out where I stated I liked Conor more than GSP. Don't make stupid assumptions, all I said was that Conor being brash and "alpha" is the reason he has exceeded GSPs earnings in such a short time.
But that is not a foregone conclusion IMO.
He is just making more money now because the MMA landscape is not what it was when GSP was around.
Besides, let us not forget GSP will always be a celebrity and HoF'er.
If Conor loses now, (much like Ronda) he would be forgotten in a few months and surpassed as his fickle fans would jump into the next big thing.

edit: and don't get me wrong! That is what HE SAID he would do. And I don't think it is wrong!

Such a humble and amazing guy. Im not from Canada but I can imagine canadians being proud of him.

Did all his talk in the cage. A special athlete competing on the top level for such a long time and retiring past his prime but still on as #1 WW. Lawler is doing good too. He is kickings asses while still being a nice guy.

Pure sport... not some WWE drama.

I'm canadian. Ive always liked and respected gsp as a person. But fuck am I glad he retired. Finally exciting ww title fights. Ive always wondered though, how the fuck does gsp sell so many ppvs? He has a boring style and a pretty bland personality. Was it just that he was good looking? Maybe he reminded people of jcvd?

So wrestling fans don't care about the actual wrestling? Sure it's scripted but what wrestlers do in the ring is its own kind of art and many fans of professional wrestling and MMA appreciate both for their different qualities.
They appreciate it like they appreciate watching the battles in a Soap Opera. There is nothing really vested in the actual fight as you know it is pre-planned, scripted and fake. So you enjoy the drama and theatre of it but not like it is a fight, more like it is bad theatre. Again very similar to day time Soaps with tons of fake, staged drama.

Well you are now the one making assumption's you cannot substantiate that are potentially stupid.

Show us where you factor in the following and not just that Conor is more "alpha" is the reason he is exceeding GSP's earnings...

- Fox TV and promotional deal and revenue to the UFC
- Brazil TV deal to UFC
- UK and other foreign market investments finally starting to pay off for the UFC

The agency's that report on the UFC debt have pointed out how these revenue additions have all helped to diversify away the UFC revenue from solely PPV. Something they identified as necessary over a decade ago.

So if the UFC has gained revenue and become more stable and has grown and can pay more what facts do you have that it is primarily Conor being more 'Alpha' that makes him get more money over the other stuff?

I mean is every NFL player today more Alpha then guys who played 25 years ago simply because they make more money? Or does how much money the league makes matter?

Some guys do it one way some the other. Can't complain about either's results.

Well you are now the one making assumption's you cannot substantiate that are potentially stupid.

Show us where you factor in the following and not just that Conor is more "alpha" is the reason he is exceeding GSP's earnings...

- Fox TV and promotional deal and revenue to the UFC
- Brazil TV deal to UFC
- UK and other foreign market investments finally starting to pay off for the UFC

The agency's that report on the UFC debt have pointed out how these revenue additions have all helped to diversify away the UFC revenue from solely PPV. Something they identified as necessary over a decade ago.

So if the UFC has gained revenue and become more stable and has grown and can pay more what facts do you have that it is primarily Conor being more 'Alpha' that makes him get more money over the other stuff?

I mean is every NFL player today more Alpha then guys who played 25 years ago simply because they make more money? Or does how much money the league makes matter?

In the UFC fighters are paid based on their marketability and management.
When I say "alpha" I hope you know that I essentially mean sociopath, and I only mention it because it makes him marketable to those who look for that in a fighter/martial artist.

I do certainly agree that GSP would be making more money if he were fighting in today's age, but I don't think it would compare to what Conor has been making, based on his appeal to more casual fans.

In the UFC fighters are paid based on their marketability and management.
When I say "alpha" I hope you know that I essentially mean sociopath, and I only mention it because it makes him marketable to those who look for that in a fighter/martial artist.

I do certainly agree that GSP would be making more money if he were fighting in today's age, but I don't think it would compare to what Conor has been making, based on his appeal to more casual fans.
The problem is you are stating everything as if fact when you do not know that.

Floyd Mayweather made more than Ali, does that mean he was more Alpha or popular? Heck many lower level boxers make more then top boxers that preceded Ali because the sport ahs grown and their is more money in it.

The question is not that easy and yet you act as if it is. There is nothing factual about your assumption that GSP would earn less then McGregor. That is your guess and belief which is ok. I am not so sure it is true and that is an ok belief as well.

Back