Unfortunately, Ferguson is done

Fuck DC n the other new commentator. Hating on tony.

DC comparing Tony to lebron.
Lebron spends millions to keep his body healthy. No way he can last long in the fight game like Tony

Tony is the typa guy that would end his career by not tapping and then somehow think it was someone else's fault

He certainly looked like shit last night.

Very cool assessment, I dig.

Okay what about Tony vs Gregor Gillespie?

Gregor is very easy to hit and can be knocked out, so it might come down to whether Gregor has equal or better ground control than Oliveira or Beneil, which I kinda doubt.
Obviously Gregor would put Tony on his back that’s not even up for debate, but after that, then what?

That's a good one that I've given some thought to lately, particularly since once the rankings shift I could see the UFC making this Tony's "do or die" fight and an opportunity to push a now (hopefully active again) Gregor.

I'm not in love with Gregor's standup. It's sorta basic and he doesn't blend his striking with his wrestling as well as I'd like at times, instead sort of shifting between "modes". He also responds badly to getting hit in addition to being rather hittable.

I'm sure he would crack Tony with a few of those sneaky punches of his, but yeah, I'd favor even this diminished version of El Cucuy over Gregor in a striking exchange. That said, there's no doubt that Gregor would take him down early and often. But we just saw CDF exhaust Gregor by scrambling like a madman, being active off his back, and just generally refusing to be held down. How much of that was CDF's weight advantage and him greatly improving his defensive wrestling in the wake of the Dariush loss? Who knows? Tony, at one time, was pretty good at those same skills and I could potentially see a world where he manages to gas Gillespie out in the scrambles while pressuring him in the standup, melting him late in the fight because he doesn't tire out unlike a bloated Ferreira -- maybe even finishing him.

But would I rate that as a more likely outcome than Gregor minimizing the damage he receives in the standup and simply fighting a conservative bout centered around scoring TDs and ground control time with total ground strikes where he can? I dunno. I don't want to overrate that Round 1 CDF performance, as troubling as it was. Tough one to call, but gun to my head I'm betting on the younger guy who has taken less damage to be able to shore up the deficiencies talked about here than Tony managing to fight the perfect fight.

How about Tony vs. CDF? What would you make of that?

Last edited:
Hooker, Chandler, RDA, Conor and even Dustin will be competitive fights.

Not being tapped for 6 rounds against highest level bjj is being competitive. They where just bad matchups for him. Being done is being finished by washed up or low ranked fighters.

None of those would be competitive..

I love Tony but he is so done.Totally past his prime and seems to not have power or ability to absorb punishment like before. He should really retire.

Sad to see it, in his prime he was the most entertaining fighter to watch. Last three fights were just torture to watch.

If you are talking about in 2020 then yeah it's obvious he would have stood no chance. If you mean their other fights, that was a different Tony. He's really old for a LW, suffered a major knee injury and has a ton of wear and tear from tough fights (especially Gaethje).

Lebron spends millions to keep his body healthy. No way he can last long in the fight game like Tony

You don't invalidate analogies by pointing out (irrelevant) differences. DC was talking about the role of fundamentals vs athleticism in the matter of athlete longevity. He could have picked RJJ for the comparison, but it doesn't really matter if you actually understand what he is talking about.

By the way: DC is a LHW and HW UFC champ ..and you are who exactly?

UFC President Dana White addressed Ferguson’s performance at the post-fight press conference, where he sounded unsure of what will be next for “El Cucuy.”

“He had a tough three rounds,” White said. “He couldn’t stop the takedown, he couldn’t get up from underneath Dariush, and yeah, he had a tough night. I don’t know, we’ll see what happens.”

The loss that ended Ferguson’s 12-fight win streak and began his current skid took place at UFC 249, where he was dominated in a standup battle with Justin Gaethje until the bout was waved off late in the fifth round. Ferguson has long been lauded for his toughness, but with little to show for it in his past three outings, it’s fair to wonder just how diminished he is as a fighter after turning 37 in February.

White was specifically asked about how much the Gaethje fight might have affected Ferguson and he speculated it could be a combination of that and the cumulative wear and tear of 31 pro bouts that have Ferguson on the decline.

“It could be that, it could be just time gets us all,” White said. “So it’s one of those things, I don’t know which one, or both. But yeah, unfortunately it’s definitely hit Tony.”

White said that he hasn’t spoken to Ferguson about his future—whether that means still competing in the UFC, pursuing other opportunities, or possibly retiring—and with the dust still settling from Saturday’s card, it’s unclear when or if they will have that conversation.

What White was more than happy to talk about was Ferguson’s “never say die” attitude, which was on full display once more at UFC 262 even if he once again failed to get his hand raised.

“I don’t know,” White said. “I haven’t even thought about it.

“He’s tough as hell though. He was in that heel hook and his ankle definitely popped. His ankle the rest of the fight looked like a golf ball, maybe even a baseball, and he kept fighting. There’s no quit in that dude. He’s tough.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/5/...erguson-after-ufc-262-loss-its-definitely-hit

That's a good one that I've given some thought to lately, particularly since once the rankings shift I could see the UFC making this Tony's "do or die" fight and an opportunity to push a now (hopefully active again) Gregor.

I'm not in love with Gregor's standup. It's sorta basic and he doesn't blend his striking with his wrestling as well as I'd like at times, instead sort of shifting between "modes". He also responds badly to getting hit in addition to being rather hittable.

I'm sure he would crack Tony with a few of those sneaky punches of his, but yeah, I'd favor even this diminished version of El Cucuy over Gregor in a striking exchange. That said, there's no doubt that Gregor would take him down early and often. But we just saw CDF exhaust Gregor by scrambling like a madman, being active off his back, and just generally refusing to be held down. How much of that was CDF's weight advantage and him greatly improving his defensive wrestling in the wake of the Dariush loss? Who knows?

Tony, at one time, was pretty good at those same skills and I could potentially see a world where he manages to gas Gillespie out in the scrambles while pressuring him in the standup, melting him late in the fight because he doesn't tire out unlike a bloated Ferreira -- maybe even finishing him.

But would I rate that as a more likely outcome thab Gregor minimizing the damage he receives in the standup and simply fighting a conservative bout centered around scoring TDs and ground control time with total ground strikes where he can? I dunno. I don't want to overrate that Round 1 CDF performance, as troubling as it was. Tough one to call, but gun to my head I'm betting on the younger guy who has taken less damage to be able to shore up the deficiencies talked about here than Tony managing to fight the perfect fight.

How about Tony vs. CDF? What would you make of that?
Bang on take my man. That’s exactly how Gregor v Tony goes. Unless the fight happens in the next 3-4 months the pendulum just swings and swings toward the younger man.

Tony v CDF has the makings of fight of the year, they are both as crazy as one another, both give zero fucks and both very loose and fluid on the ground. No idea who gets that W, I mean we can judge it on their common opponent in Benny and go with Ferreira based on that, but the reality isn’t always that straight forward.

Is it too late for any interest in Ferguson vs Diaz?

Ferguson vs BJ anyone?? I kid, I kid..

Hooker, Chandler, RDA, Conor and even Dustin will be competitive fights.

Not being tapped for 6 rounds against highest level bjj is being competitive. They where just bad matchups for him. Being done is being finished by washed up or low ranked fighters.
Agreed. We saw him get smothered last night. Happens sometimes.

Him vs Cowboy or Nate are the fights to make!

*But yeah obviously they should all retire for their health. Legends!

Bang on take my man. That’s exactly how Gregor v Tony goes. Unless the fight happens in the next 3-4 months the pendulum just swings and swings toward the younger man.

Tony v CDF has the makings of fight of the year, they are both as crazy as one another, both give zero fucks and both very loose and fluid on the ground. No idea who gets that W, I mean we can judge it on their common opponent in Benny and go with Ferreira based on that, but the reality isn’t always that straight forward.

Is it too late for any interest in Ferguson vs Diaz?

Ferguson vs BJ anyone?? I kid, I kid..

Pretty much my take on it. If you forced me to pick I guess I'd take CDF since his striking seems fairly sharp and he has the youth (and MMath, I guess...) advantage, but Tony has superior cardio and durability for sure which can't be underestimated.

I'd actually watch Ferguson vs. either of the Diaz brothers at 155 or 170 still... Tony versus Nate closer to each guy's prime was always one of my dream fights.

Tony is a great guy. All good with him. But he should fighting at UFC.

Did TS actually post this thread thinking it's some ground breaking revelation?

Back