Unfortunately, Ferguson is done

Hooker?
I think Tony beats Dan, but I’d agree thats about it. It’s even a stretch to see him beating Felder after last nights performance.

Certainly possible, but even then I don't know that I'd favor him. Dan fought a competitive fight with Dustin in which Poirier had to lean heavily on the championship rounds, his durability, and offensive grappling. Hooker can match Ferguson's reach and Tony is... meh as an offensive wrestler.

If Tony came out looking fairly sharp like he did against RDA or even in the very early stages of the Justin bout, investing in the body early and showing a willingness to wrestle... maybe, yeah, I could see it. But unless Dan was badly compromised by that last knockout I think I'd actually still favor him and I've never rated the Hangman as elite. The flashes of standup we've seen from Tony in his last few fights just don't give me much hope against a long, aggressive, fairly technical striker like Dan who should be able to do enough in the first two rounds while surviving the third.

I always said Tony was a better version of Neil Magny, he always beat good fighters, but had a long win streak without a win against a real top one.
Then Tony got old, he looks weaker now even.

Certainly possible, but even then I don't know that I'd favor him. Dan fought a competitive fight with Dustin in which Poirier had to lean heavily on the championship rounds, his durability, and offensive grappling. Hooker can match Ferguson's reach and Tony is... meh as an offensive wrestler.

If Tony came out looking fairly sharp like he did against RDA or even in the very early stages of the Justin bout, investing in the body early and showing a willingness to wrestle... maybe, yeah, I could see it. But unless Dan was badly compromised by that last knockout I think I'd actually still favor him and I've never rated the Hangman as elite. The flashes of standup we've seen from Tony in his last few fights just don't give me much hope against a long, aggressive, fairly technical striker like Dan who should be able to do enough in the first two rounds while surviving the third.
I actually still think Tony would give Poirier a reasonably competitive, if not close, fight.. styles make fights and Poirier is neither Oliveria nor Benny on the ground, and doesn’t have quite the weight behind his punches as Gaethje, so to that end I think Tony could just about hang with Dustin, but obviously I would still expect Poirier to win, but not finish him inside 3 rounds.
All about styles.

I always said Tony was a better version of Neil Magny, he always beat good fighters, but had a long win streak without a win against a real top one.
Then Tony got old, he looks weaker now even.
Lmao.
Never beat a top fighter? Gtfoh.

RDA, Pettis, Barboza, Tibau.
God I dread to think how you rate Islam’s level of competiton. Funny guy.

Too bad Nate has an opponent. Nate vs. Tony would be interesting.

He lost against lower tier fighters like Gaethje, Oliveira and Dariush. What a loser.
No one questions the level he competes at and there is no shame in losing to those guys. It's the damage he is taking, the slowed reflexes and Tony not being competitive at this level anymore. Hopefully he gets a big $ fight or a can to crush for 1 last retirement fight and go lives a happy life without further brain damage.

That's a discussion between him and his family that, hopefully, will be there 5 years from now.

Lmao.
Never beat a top fighter? Gtfoh.

RDA, Pettis, Barboza, Tibau.
God I dread to think how you rate Islam’s level of competiton. Funny guy.

RDA is really good, but he just lost to Eddie, he was not elite level. Pettis was a top level guy, but not when they fought. Barbozo is not top tier either.

Tony missed a few chances against the best in his prime, that kind of sucks.

RDA is really good, but he just lost to Eddie, he was not elite level. Pettis was a top level guy, but not when they fought. Barbozo is not top tier either.
What are you talking about?
RDA and Pettis both former world champions, thats the highest level it gets.
Barboza is a dangerous man as he proved last night and Tibau outpointed Khabib on most people’s scorecard, yet Tony finished 3 of the 4 that I mentioned.
Why are you like this?

I actually still think Tony would give Poirier a reasonably competitive, if not close, fight.. styles make fights and Poirier is neither Oliveria nor Benny on the ground, and doesn’t have quite the weight behind his punches as Gaethje, so to that end I think Tony could just about hang with Dustin, but obviously I would still expect Poirier to win, but not finish him inside 3 rounds.
All about styles.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies to the point I'm getting at. I'm talking about level of competition here. I agree with your assessment for the most part... though I think Tony would probably end up looking like a bit of a punching bag outside of a few moments where he kinda-sorta has flashes where he might be making something happen (but actually isn't). Tony's defensive boxing is too lackluster and Dustin occasionally shows the willingness to offensively wrestle here and there to different degrees, even if he struggles to hold guys down.

I suspect Tony's very best moments on the feet would be end up looking like Max's worst rounds during the rematch with Dustin. I think the most danger for Poirier would be in is maybe a scramble situation where Tony tries to snatch up a sub.

No way Dustin finishes Tony inside three, that much we totally agree on.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies to the point I'm getting at. I'm talking about level of competition here. I agree with your assessment for the most part... though I think Tony would probably end up looking like a bit of a punching bag outside of a few moments where he kinda-sorta has flashes where he might be making something happen (but actually isn't). Tony's defensive boxing is too lackluster and Dustin occasionally shows the willingness to offensively wrestle here and there to different degrees. I sort of think Tony's very best moments on the feet would be lucky to match Max's worst moments during the rematch with Dustin. I think the most danger for Poirier would be in is maybe a scramble situation where Tony tries to snatch up a sub.

No way Dustin finishes Tony inside three, that much we totally agree on.
Very cool assessment, I dig.

Okay what about Tony vs Gregor Gillespie?

Gregor is very easy to hit and can be knocked out, so it might come down to whether Gregor has equal or better ground control than Oliveira or Beneil, which I kinda doubt.
Obviously Gregor would put Tony on his back that’s not even up for debate, but after that, then what?

What are you talking about?
RDA and Pettis both former world champions, thats the highest level it gets.
Barboza is a dangerous man as he proved last night and Tibau outpointed Khabib on most people’s scorecard, yet Tony finished 3 of the 4 that I mentioned.
Why are you like this?

"A better Neil Magny" is not really a bad overall rating, because Neil is really good. But were any of his wins top 3-5 even at the time?

To say he's done is not only wrong but also very disrespectful. The dude has fought only killers in their prime in his last three fights. Two of them top notch bjj guys, one of them with perhaps the best bjj game in the UFC today, and took them both to decisions. And he almost took out Gaethje. When you're done you have nothing to show for and definately has.

At his age and mileage, he will only lose to elite. He did almost take out Gaethje and Beneil cleanly beat him but didn’t take him out and was placed in a D’Arce twice, which is hard to do against Dariush’s grappling pedigree.

Very cool assessment, I dig.

Okay what about Tony vs Gregor Gillespie?

Gregor is very easy to hit and can be knocked out, so it might come down to whether Gregor has equal or better ground control than Oliveira or Beneil, which I kinda doubt.
Obviously Gregor would put Tony on his back that’s not even up for debate, but after that, then what?
Bad match up for Tony. He gets rag dolled at will and Gregor isn't going to just try and hold him down like Beneil did for a lot of that fight. Tony needs a striker with no wrestling chops next.

Tony was done when he tripped over that cable wire and tore his knee.

who told tony to wear dark sunglasses indoors?

Bad match up for Tony. He gets rag dolled at will and Gregor isn't going to just try and hold him down like Beneil did for a lot of that fight. Tony needs a striker with no wrestling chops next.
Yea I tend to agree, but Gregor is not tight enough on the ground, he doesn’t have the control under low speed that Beneil does, he leaves gaps, not just gaps but gaping holes. Diego Ferreira was able to omoplata him and latch onto multiple deep kimuras. That’s blue belt level which is where Gregor is in terms of static BJJ.

Formidable wrestler, incredible good at takedowns, but very limited grappler whilst on the ground. Ferreira just got stuck and couldn’t get back to his feet, that likely doesn’t happen if they were to fight again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back