Underrated Fighters in UFC History - Sonnen

Matt Lindland was... Thoroughly unlikable in every way.

I used to love watching him get KO'd towards the end of his career.

SerpentineLawfulAnteater-size_restricted.gif

81BrSTK.gif

Leg twitching like Elvis.

Nobody talks positively about the guy now, all his friends left him, he tried to screw over Hendo, he has no prospects, and is a forgotten figure... And nobody cares.
Plus he never showered smh

Murilo Ninja Rua

Got completely robbed against Hendo and Rampage.

Got ruined fighting LHWs and HWs when he was an average sized MW at best.

McGregor is the most overhyped and possibly over rated fighter in UFC history.

You're thinking with emotion not logic. This is the problem, everyone is super emotional about McGregor. Who gives a fuck if you like him or you hate him, you need to objectively evaluate him as a fighter and his achievements.

How many fighters run through a division and overthrow the divisional GOAT, and a consensus top 5 GOAT of all-time (at the time easily and even now), win a UFC title. Then move up a weight-class and win another UFC title simultaneously.

- And then are called shit and completely overrated, terrible and all hype - by fans. Who else in the history of MMA?

For the sake of argument and leaving out more variables, let's not include WMMA. How many two division champions are there ever in UFC history?

Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Conor McGregor, Daniel Cormier, and Henry Cejudo.

Now let's look objectively at each case: Couture beat a guy who had back surgery and was using PEDs, Penn won the WW title early on and never defended it, McGregor got an instant title shot but dominated the LW champion, Cormier arguably only had the LHW belt because Jones tested positive (he never beat Jones), and Cejudo won a very close decision (fly-w) and was losing vs Moraes but came back to win.

Who really had the cleanest and most legitimate run for their two titles? And only 3 on the list held simultaneously. McGregor one of them and I think pretty clearly the cleanest and most dominant double champion out of all. He KO'd Aldo, was undefeated at FW, and dominated / KO'd Alvarez. What's the counter-argument here? The only thing to say is: 1. He avoided wrestlers, which I would agree but he did beat Mendes and Eddie Alvarez so not totally true. 2. He got an instant LW title shot / did not defend at FW, to which I say...who cares? We always want super-fights between divisions, why is it a problem only when McGregor did it? It's the reverse-hypocritical complaint that Jones detractors use now.

Severely OVERated fighters in UFC history:
1. Chael "The Snitch" Sonnen

Why would you say that?

Beat prime anderson for 4.9 rounds.
Beat Shogun
Beat fat rampage
Beal old wand
Beat Bisping
Beat Stann
Beat Marquart
Beat Okami
Beat Dan Miller
Beat Paulo Fihlo
Beat Babalu

Dude was/is a loudmouth, but he could fight.

Plus he grabbed the ropes to secure the clinch vs Fedor

TNeiI7J.jpg

smh
Thing is, Jeremy Horn used to do the unwashed shit, and was one of the worst fence grabbers in MMA history... But everyone loves Jeremy Horn because he's a cool guy.

Matt Lindland is hated because he's a douche.

Good one -- I'll never forget Torres winning the WEC title. Chase Beebe dominated Rani Yahya from rounds 2-5 on the ground after losing the first round to defend his title (after winning it against Eddie Wineland). Miguel Torres then goes out there and submits Chase Beebe in the first round. He went downhill not too long after but damn he had a great career. I also felt he beat Demetrius Johnson (even though I made money on that fight).

Speaking about Mighty Mouse, would you say he's also underrated?
I do think he doesn't get the respect that he deserves, but Mighty Mouse is one my favourite fighters of all time

Guy Mezger
  • His "loss" to Saku was absolute bullshit resulting from Japanese officials inexplicably stepping in and changing the contracted fight agreement on the fly after Mezger was up on points at the end of regulation
  • Was winning his Wand fight until he got put on queer street by an illegal headbutt immediately followed by a ko
  • Dropped Chuck and nearly finished him in late in the 1st before Chuck rode it out to the bell. Chuck came out and finished him in the 2nd tho fair and square
  • Lost a very controversial split dec to Arona after clearly winning every aspect of the fight's first 17 mins before Arona got his lone TD and laid on Mezger for the final 3 mins
So between the fuckery in the Saku/Wand/Arona fights and some bad luck/timing vs Liddell, Mezger came within a crooked asshair of having one of the best LHW resumes in early MMA history
nah.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...de-ow-gp-mezger-those-infamous-6-lbs.3899881/

The problem with Guy was his 'inactivity' durin´certain parts of the fights [see his bouts in Pancrase, or the Shoji scrap for instance...] that led to [potential] controversial decisions.

Last edited:
Poor Sonnen is a lil bit lost.

Busta vs Big Cat was not @ The Contenders, but @ Mars (MARTIAL ARTS REALITY SUPERFIGHTING).
Busta was not 187 lbs, but 195 lbs. Big Cat was not 263 lbs, but 280 lbs.

All props to Busta, but Big Cat was terrified of goin´to the ground with him, quite a 'non-match'...

Big Cat vs Busta.png

Maurice was a good choice too, indeed. Could have added his mate TK... Caol too...

Last edited:
Severely OVERated fighters in UFC history:
1. Chael "The Snitch" Sonnen

Sonnen is underrated if anything.

Tons of people say he sucks despite him having wins vs a lot of big names.

Shogun
Narquardt
BIsping
Rampage
Wanderlei
Okami
Sobral
Filho
Stann

I guess all these guys suck even worst for losing to Sonnen.

Last edited:
Speaking about Mighty Mouse, would you say he's also underrated?
I do think he doesn't get the respect that he deserves, but Mighty Mouse is one my favourite fighters of all time
Actually now that you mention it, I DO believe he is underrated. I understand why folks aren't particularly fans of fights at 125 on a casual level; it's hard for people to appreciate the skill and spectacle of a fighter that they can't imagine losing to I reckon. However, I'm not one of them, and I furthermore believe that due to the longevity as well as the margin of victory of his streak, he is on the short list of all time greats. Aside from MAYBE his first fight against Dodson where he won 3 rounds to 2 and the ref chose not to take a point away after an illegal knee, all of his wins as champion were clean without any controversy. And the fight he lost against Cejudo? That was a razor-thin victory (granted I feel the right guy won, but many feel DJ won).

Forget about what he did in the cage for a minute as well -- what was keeping him motivated to keep winning? He wasn't getting big paydays and not all of his opponents were high profile names that put DJ's back against the wall. To be that focused when no one (figuratively) is watching is damn impressive I feel. He'll likely never get the credit he deserves (though many people undoubtedly may argue that he gets too much credit).

Actually now that you mention it, I DO believe he is underrated. I understand why folks aren't particularly fans of fights at 125 on a casual level; it's hard for people to appreciate the skill and spectacle of a fighter that they can't imagine losing to I reckon. However, I'm not one of them, and I furthermore believe that due to the longevity as well as the margin of victory of his streak, he is on the short list of all time greats. Aside from MAYBE his first fight against Dodson where he won 3 rounds to 2 and the ref chose not to take a point away after an illegal knee, all of his wins as champion were clean without any controversy. And the fight he lost against Cejudo? That was a razor-thin victory (granted I feel the right guy won, but many feel DJ won).

Forget about what he did in the cage for a minute as well -- what was keeping him motivated to keep winning? He wasn't getting big paydays and not all of his opponents were high profile names that put DJ's back against the wall. To be that focused when no one (figuratively) is watching is damn impressive I feel. He'll likely never get the credit he deserves (though many people undoubtedly may argue that he gets too much credit).

Well said my friend, agreed with everything.

I was all out rooting for DJ on his second fight against Cejudo, but I gave the fight to Cejudo as well.

I always preferred the smaller guys, their speed and technique is something that you don't get to see very often in the bigger guys.

Now DJ went on to ONE to fight larger guys and won the GP.
Wishing the best of luck against Moraes!

And I'm not ashamed to admit that even the lowest ranked WMMA Strawweight would definitely kick my ass in a fight (no, I don't train whatsoever and I'm a manlet)

Matt Lindland was... Thoroughly unlikable in every way though, so nobody will ever credit him.

81BrSTK.gif

Nobody talks positively about the guy now, all his friends left him, he tried to screw over Hendo, he has no prospects, and is a forgotten figure... And nobody cares.
Savage. He was still a decent fighter in his prime.

Savage. He was still a decent fighter in his prime.
He was, but he went out of his way to alienate every one around him, and time has been extremely unkind to his legacy as a result.

Spencer Fisher was pretty underrated because he lost 5 of his last 6 fights. Before that, he had big wins over Sam Stout, Caol Uno, Jeremy Stephens, Matt Wiman, Thiago Alves... Not saying he was a world beater, but he was a solid action fighter who had some great wins. A lot of people don't know who he was.

Sonnen's 3 picks:
Alexander Gustafsson
Murilo Bustamante
Maurice Smith

Before I clicked the video, I was hoping he would list Bustamante. He's on top of mine.

I remember I got UFC 33 on PPV and I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember thinking Bustamante beat Chuck Liddell. I remember that PPV because Ortiz/Matyushenko went passed the ppv slot time and I got it for free.

Matt Lindland was... Thoroughly unlikable in every way though, so nobody will ever credit him.

81BrSTK.gif

Nobody cares because he stinks. Literally.

Back