Underrated Fighters in UFC History - Sonnen

He was, but he went out of his way to alienate every one around him, and time has been extremely unkind to his legacy as a result.
True. I must admit, I wanted Vitor to KO him as he was the first MMA fighter I became a fan of. Mostly because he was on a (TRT) resurgence, and I never much cared for Lindland or his style. Vitor didn't just turn his lights of, he broke the switchboard. Lindland has been KOd many a time in brutal fashion. CTE is calling.

Nobody cares because he stinks. Literally.
Where did this start from? Was it Hendo? I recall someone he trained with/fought saying he stunk.
That's purtid. I used to train with a guy that had the worst breath I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. I would do anything to stay away from his face when grappling. And his teeth looked clean, he never drank alcohol...some people just stink?

Mark Kerr.
Bas Rutten.
Frank Shamrock.

On sherdog it is irrefutably Rashad. While the meme is funny it just makes a great fighter look like a joke. People dont respect his skill or accomplishment enough

Matt Lindland was... Thoroughly unlikable in every way though, so nobody will ever credit him.

I used to love watching him get KO'd towards the end of his career.

SerpentineLawfulAnteater-size_restricted.gif

81BrSTK.gif

Leg twitching like Elvis.

Nobody talks positively about the guy now, all his friends left him, he tried to screw over Hendo, he has no prospects, and is a forgotten figure... And nobody cares.
I remember hearing some one talk about matt not showering for days before a fight so his opponent would have deal with his smell.

Dude was a douche but great grappler. I believe lawlers KO was the best.

On sherdog it is irrefutably Rashad. While the meme is funny it just makes a great fighter look like a joke. People dont respect his skill or accomplishment enough
This was the name I was going to say. In recent times and on these forums rashad is pretty well dismissed. Dude had a solid career. I’m not saying he’s one of the best ever but he is underrated.

This was the name I was going to say. In recent times and on these forums rashad is pretty well dismissed. Dude had a solid career. I’m not saying he’s one of the best ever but he is underrated.
Rashad is a word champion with several highlight reels in the top 50 highlights. Mentioning him amongst very good or even great is no exaggeration. I could squint and see how someone can say legend

Well said my friend, agreed with everything.

I was all out rooting for DJ on his second fight against Cejudo, but I gave the fight to Cejudo as well.

I always preferred the smaller guys, their speed and technique is something that you don't get to see very often in the bigger guys.

Now DJ went on to ONE to fight larger guys and won the GP.
Wishing the best of luck against Moraes!

And I'm not ashamed to admit that even the lowest ranked WMMA Strawweight would definitely kick my ass in a fight (no, I don't train whatsoever and I'm a manlet)
haha They'd probably whoop the same asses that talk negatively about smaller fighters lmao I can watch DJ fight all day -- 125 is a great division imo

You're thinking with emotion not logic. This is the problem, everyone is super emotional about McGregor. Who gives a fuck if you like him or you hate him, you need to objectively evaluate him as a fighter and his achievements.

How many fighters run through a division and overthrow the divisional GOAT, and a consensus top 5 GOAT of all-time (at the time easily and even now), win a UFC title. Then move up a weight-class and win another UFC title simultaneously.

- And then are called shit and completely overrated, terrible and all hype - by fans. Who else in the history of MMA?

For the sake of argument and leaving out more variables, let's not include WMMA. How many two division champions are there ever in UFC history?

Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Conor McGregor, Daniel Cormier, and Henry Cejudo.

Now let's look objectively at each case: Couture beat a guy who had back surgery and was using PEDs, Penn won the WW title early on and never defended it, McGregor got an instant title shot but dominated the LW champion, Cormier arguably only had the LHW belt because Jones tested positive (he never beat Jones), and Cejudo won a very close decision (fly-w) and was losing vs Moraes but came back to win.

Who really had the cleanest and most legitimate run for their two titles? And only 3 on the list held simultaneously. McGregor one of them and I think pretty clearly the cleanest and most dominant double champion out of all. He KO'd Aldo, was undefeated at FW, and dominated / KO'd Alvarez. What's the counter-argument here? The only thing to say is: 1. He avoided wrestlers, which I would agree but he did beat Mendes and Eddie Alvarez so not totally true. 2. He got an instant LW title shot / did not defend at FW, to which I say...who cares? We always want super-fights between divisions, why is it a problem only when McGregor did it? It's the reverse-hypocritical complaint that Jones detractors use now.

One variable you miss is that although Eddie had the belt khabib was still considered the uncrowned king.

Rewatch Conor vs khabib it really wasn't competitive. We still debate whether or not Conor actually won the 3rd.

Henry holds victories over the consensus kings of 2 divisions

One variable you miss is that although Eddie had the belt khabib was still considered the uncrowned king.

Rewatch Conor vs khabib it really wasn't competitive. We still debate whether or not Conor actually won the 3rd.

Henry holds victories over the consensus kings of 2 divisions

Well first off I don't know how you can consider Moraes the king of the 135 division, and I believe they fought for a vacant title after Dillashaw EPO'd his way out of the picture. Cejudo also barely beat Mighty Mouse in a close decision win. Regardless I think Cejudo has been very impressive but I personally don't think flyweight is competitive enough to count his legacy higher than McGregor's.

Also you meant him defending vs Dillashaw at 125 right...well honestly I forgot about that but that's big yeah. Still he has lost to Benavidez and Johnson earlier in his career, TJ drained to 125 - but was on PEDs, Moraes was a good win but vacant title. I think Cejudo is up there for sure, but I don't put it as high as McGregor's resume' as of now. If he beats Aldo - even a lesser form now...and gets some more wins and then McGregor loses to Khabib again, I'll rearrange it.

Eh I don't think Khabib was the "uncrowned" champ either. He was simply a hot undefeated prospect/name, it's not like he had awesome wins at that point. I totally disagree actually.

At that point Khabib's best win by far was RDA, and that was his only top 10 opponent win. He beat Michael Johnson on the same card that Alvarez and McGregor fought for the title. At that point in time Khabib had only fought: Tibau, Tavares, Trujillo, Healy, and RDA. And the Tibau fought was at least questionable or close. Outside of beating Dos Anjos he had no real claim at a title shot or being "champ".

I remember I got UFC 33 on PPV and I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember thinking Bustamante beat Chuck Liddell. I remember that PPV because Ortiz/Matyushenko went passed the ppv slot time and I got it for free.
That was talked about for years afterward. Similar to when Nick Diaz burst on the scene, most people just thought he was a skinny bjj fighter but turned out he had boxing skills too.

Busta was visibly undersized against Chuck but I remember giving him two rounds.

He really should have gotten the decision against Henderson the second time too. He combined his boxing and wrestling really well in that fight.

Well first off I don't know how you can consider Moraes the king of the 135 division, and I believe they fought for a vacant title after Dillashaw EPO'd his way out of the picture. Cejudo also barely beat Mighty Mouse in a close decision win. Regardless I think Cejudo has been very impressive but I personally don't think flyweight is competitive enough to count his legacy higher than McGregor's.

Also you meant him defending vs Dillashaw at 125 right...well honestly I forgot about that but that's big yeah. Still he has lost to Benavidez and Johnson earlier in his career, TJ drained to 125 - but was on PEDs, Moraes was a good win but vacant title. I think Cejudo is up there for sure, but I don't put it as high as McGregor's resume' as of now. If he beats Aldo - even a lesser form now...and gets some more wins and then McGregor loses to Khabib again, I'll rearrange it.

Eh I don't think Khabib was the "uncrowned" champ either. He was simply a hot undefeated prospect/name, it's not like he had awesome wins at that point. I totally disagree actually.

At that point Khabib's best win by far was RDA, and that was his only top 10 opponent win. He beat Michael Johnson on the same card that Alvarez and McGregor fought for the title. At that point in time Khabib had only fought: Tibau, Tavares, Trujillo, Healy, and RDA. And the Tibau fought was at least questionable or close. Outside of beating Dos Anjos he had no real claim at a title shot or being "champ".
Eddie Alavrez was never champion level before and after being champ, he was just really tough and durable... Dustin Poirier styled on him, a broken Pettis should've got the nod. He got pretty lucky IMO in beating RDA

DC lost to a juiced Jones in a razor close fight (less harsh than losing to a clean Khabib)
DC KO'd the HW champ who was actively defending the belt.

Cejudo beat the arguable GOAT
Cejudo beat the arguable BW GOAT who got popped for steroids.

McGregor is good but to act like he's one of the greatests is absurd. And grossly overrating him.
Volkanoski had a more impressive FW run
RDA had a more impressive LW run

Also somebody who you claimed is on DC, and Cejudo's level would never lose to Nate Diaz.

Eddie Alavrez was never champion level before and after being champ, he was just really tough and durable... Dustin Poirier styled on him, a broken Pettis should've got the nod. He got pretty lucky IMO in beating RDA

DC lost to a juiced Jones in a razor close fight (less harsh than losing to a clean Khabib)
DC KO'd the HW champ who was actively defending the belt.

Cejudo beat the arguable GOAT
Cejudo beat the arguable BW GOAT who got popped for steroids.

McGregor is good but to act like he's one of the greatests is absurd. And grossly overrating him.
Volkanoski had a more impressive FW run
RDA had a more impressive LW run

Also somebody who you claimed is on DC, and Cejudo's level would never lose to Nate Diaz.

You're another McGregor "hater" it's okay, you can admit it.

Talk to me when Cejudo goes up 25 lbs from his original weight-class to fight someone. He's fought once at 135 and it was for a vacant title and was trailing the whole fight. Mighty Mouse is not the arguable GOAT, come on now...anyone who had or has Mighty Mouse as the best ever is a moron. Flyweight was shallow competition wise.

You make some good points but you also are just exaggerating greatly in some areas. "Razor thin fight" with DC....no? It was a clear decision win for Jones, it was a tight competitive fight but it wasn't razor close. He was finished the 2nd fight too, and yes Jones was probably on steroids for both. You then called Mighty Mouse the arguable GOAT - lol no, and then TJ Dillashaw the BW GOAT over Cruz? Yikes. That's when I stop responding, stretching reality to fit a narrative that McGregor isn't actually good.

Accept reality and stop lying to yourself. 75% of what you said was pure bullshit.

Also I have DC ranked higher on the GOAT list than McGregor and listed him as an underrated fighter, the two people I listed on this thread were DC and McGregor, so what are you even fucking talking about? Strawman heard of it?

You're another McGregor "hater" it's okay, you can admit it.

Talk to me when Cejudo goes up 25 lbs from his original weight-class to fight someone. He's fought once at 135 and it was for a vacant title and was trailing the whole fight. Mighty Mouse is not the arguable GOAT, come on now...anyone who had or has Mighty Mouse as the best ever is a moron. Flyweight was shallow competition wise.

You make some good points but you also are just exaggerating greatly in some areas. "Razor thin fight" with DC....no? It was a clear decision win for Jones, it was a tight competitive fight but it wasn't razor close. He was finished the 2nd fight too, and yes Jones was probably on steroids for both. You then called Mighty Mouse the arguable GOAT - lol no, and then TJ Dillashaw the BW GOAT over Cruz? Yikes. That's when I stop responding, stretching reality to fit a narrative that McGregor isn't actually good.

Accept reality and stop lying to yourself. 75% of what you said was pure bullshit.
Dillishaw arguably beat Cruz (I scored it Cruz), destroyed the only guy who beat Cruz and he broke Renan Barao who in his prime was an absolute monster
I hate Mcgregor but respect his skill and talent, if we nit pick everything than we have to point out that Alvarez was a weak champ
Also McGregor did not jump 25lb he fought LW's at WW.
McGregor is good but the narrative you're pushing is overrating him.

You clickbaited me

I was gunna say chael isnt underrated, he was just bad

But as far as chaels opinion, idgaf really, ask him next year it will be completely different and equally as arbitrary

When this question was asked here on sherdog pre 2010 the answer was always David the soul assassin Terrell.

Spencer Fisher was pretty underrated because he lost 5 of his last 6 fights. Before that, he had big wins over Sam Stout, Caol Uno, Jeremy Stephens, Matt Wiman, Thiago Alves... Not saying he was a world beater, but he was a solid action fighter who had some great wins. A lot of people don't know who he was.

Was a huge fan of the King. His fights with stout were great.

Back