Undefeated boxing champs laugh at Conor's showing against Mayweather

Because some people are STILL insisting Conor did well. That, and I just happen to watch ESNews regularly and saw the funny clips.

He did do well though. He was boxing in his first pro fight, having fought as a MMA fighter his whole career, against arguably the greatest boxer of all time. Sure, Floyd didn't go all out and gave him a little rope, and there was a huge gulf in ability. But Floyd makes most people he fights look like idiots. Overall, most actual fight fans had virtually no expectation of Conor going in, and he actually acquitted himself reasonably well by that standard. His MMA style of boxing is never going to translate into a boxing ring, not unless he takes years to practice.

Mike Tyson, Larry Holmes, George Foreman were impressed by Conors performance, as was boxing pundit Max Kellerman. Only haters and no name boxers dismiss Conors efforts that night. "Carried" LMAO why didn't Floyd carry that kick boxer Tenshin?

He did do well though. He was boxing in his first pro fight, having fought as a MMA fighter his whole career, against arguably the greatest boxer of all time. Sure, Floyd didn't go all out and gave him a little rope, and there was a huge gulf in ability. But Floyd makes most people he fights look like idiots. Overall, most actual fight fans had virtually no expectation of Conor going in, and he actually acquitted himself reasonably well by that standard. His MMA style of boxing is never going to translate into a boxing ring, not unless he takes years to practice.

You're giving the "fight fans" too much credit.

Well, i don't care if Conor carried Floyd!
As a sport:

MMA > Boxing

I respectfully disagree. They're different. Just like football and basketball are different, neither being superior to the other. I say this as a guy who would rather watch MMA over a boxing match any day of the week (I've never been able to get into the latter), but I just don't see the value in these types of pissing contests personally. You're a very thoughtful and analytical poster whose opinion I value; it disappoints me to see you making this kind of blanket statement about an entire sport.

I disagree. They're different. Just like football and basketball are different, neither being superior to the other. I say this as a guy who would rather watch MMA over a boxing match any day of the week (I've never been able to get into the latter), but I just don't see the value in these types of pissing contests personally. You're a very thoughtful and analytical poster whose opinion I value; it disappoints me to see you making this kind of blanket statement about an entire sport.
I think it’s just his opinion. Nothing wrong with preferring one sport over the other.

I think it’s just his opinion. Nothing wrong with preferring one sport over the other.

That's true and I said as much in my post that I preferred MMA over boxing. It just didn't come across that way to me. Mind you that there are a lot of Sherbros who will take hardline stances that either MMA or boxing are objectively superior sports to the other for X or Y reasons, however.

Any of you dummies still insisting Mayweather didn't carry Conor?

Jose Ramirez 26-0, 17 KO's - WBC and WBO light welterweight champion
Vergil Ortiz 16-0, 16 KO's - WBA Gold welterweight champion

First, they laugh at Conor's showing against Mayweather. Their conditioning coach, who fought boxing and MMA, theorized Mayweather let it last until 10 because if Conor looked good in the first few rounds, there would be late buyers of the PPV-- so more money for Floyd.

"I was literally laughing my ass off during that whole fight." - Vergil on MayMac

Then, they literally LAUGH OUT LOUD at Conor's chances against Pacquiao.

They don't though.

They are actually very moderate in their analysis.

Any of you dummies still insisting Mayweather didn't carry Conor?

Jose Ramirez 26-0, 17 KO's - WBC and WBO light welterweight champion
Vergil Ortiz 16-0, 16 KO's - WBA Gold welterweight champion

First, they laugh at Conor's showing against Mayweather. Their conditioning coach, who fought boxing and MMA, theorized Mayweather let it last until 10 because if Conor looked good in the first few rounds, there would be late buyers of the PPV-- so more money for Floyd.

"I was literally laughing my ass off during that whole fight." - Vergil on MayMac

Then, they literally LAUGH OUT LOUD at Conor's chances against Pacquiao.

Why is this still a though in your head? Its been over 3 years, who cares

That's true and I said as much in my post that I preferred MMA over boxing. It just didn't come across that way to me. Mind you that there are a lot of Sherbros who will take hardline stances that either MMA or boxing are objectively superior sports to the other for X or Y reasons, however.
A lot of people here have never been able to get into boxing and don’t appreciate it as a sport. There’s a difference between not being a fan of boxing and not appreciating the art though. Both sports have their pros and cons. I’m cool with somebody preferring one over the other and thinking that one sport is objectively superior. I think it can be dumb to completely dismiss the other sport though. I don’t think he was doing that.

I respectfully disagree. They're different. Just like football and basketball are different, neither being superior to the other. I say this as a guy who would rather watch MMA over a boxing match any day of the week (I've never been able to get into the latter), but I just don't see the value in these types of pissing contests personally. You're a very thoughtful and analytical poster whose opinion I value; it disappoints me to see you making this kind of blanket statement about an entire sport.
I too watch rather MMA; i like it more because the ruleset is much closer to pure, unarmed combat, which also adds so much more intricacies and variety to the sport than if you'd limit it to striking only, or in the case of boxing, striking with the hands only.
To use an exaggerated metaphor:
If both were a game, boxing would be minesweeper, whereas MMA would be Skyrim.
That's not even to mention things like corruption in boxing compared to MMA, although this is obviously no characteristic that's inherent to the sport itself.
That's why MMA is superior to boxing in my eyes as a sport itself, sherbro!

I'm admittedly a bit of an elitist at times when it comes to these things, but that's not something which should really be taken personal (not saying you did, btw).

Unknown boxer laughs at MMA fighter, meanwhile in a street fight with no rules, undefeated fighter gets his ass handed to him.

what a stupid statement

i can laugh at my neighbour that say Ngannou would be a top rugby player, even if ngannou would obviously mop the floor with the entire england rugby team.

so, they are laughing at a guy who made more money on his first pro boxing fight then they do and who would also kick their asses in a real fight. Alright.
what a stupid statement

i can laugh at my neighbour that say Ngannou would be a top rugby player, even if ngannou would obviously mop the floor with the entire england rugby team.

and making money doesn't give you an automatic totem of protection against criticism. "i make more money than you so shut up" what kind of neandertalian state of mind is it ?

Mike Tyson, Larry Holmes, George Foreman were impressed by Conors performance, as was boxing pundit Max Kellerman. Only haters and no name boxers dismiss Conors efforts that night. "Carried" LMAO why didn't Floyd carry that kick boxer Tenshin?
for how long should he carry him in a 3 round fight?

what a stupid statement

and making money doesn't give you an automatic totem of protection against criticism. "i make more money than you so shut up" what kind of neandertalian state of mind is it ?

It's trying justify to their fanboyism.

what the hell is a "superior sport". it's in itself a stupid categorization. You can have a preference for watching a sport or another, you can say a sport requires more agility, or strength, or athleticism or whatever. You can even say this sport is closer to "real life" fighting (even if this is specious). But you can't say "as a sport A>B", that's plain and simple nonsensical.

Back