Media Uncle Chael agrees that Stephen A. Smith is good for the sport. MMA has worst fans.

Sure man.
ESPN put Rogan out there. They could have sacked him like Goldberg.
And Rogan went on his own podcast to trash Smith.
I don't care for either of these corporate tools. I'm pretty sure I made that clear.
I get that you are not a fan of Smith. That is clear.

ESPN did a good thing by putting Rogan out there, a guy who's been around MMA for over 20 years. No need to sack someone who brings name recognition along with a legit knowledge of the sport for the casual viewer. Rogan going on his podcast to air dirty laundry was bush league, he should have cleared the air with Smith before he ever commented. Couldn't care less about SAS especially following any MMA contest, but when he is clearly a fish out of water bloviating as if he is on Rogan's MMA level, then yeah. Fuck him.

Max Kellerman seemed to do just fine in boxing, because he was highly educated about the nuances of the sport and its history. Jim Lampley, while he has his detractors, was a fair and balanced broadcaster for the most part, and highly respected within the industry.

The problem isn't that Stephen A is an outsider. The problem is that he obviously doesn't know enough about this sport, or put in the time and effort to learn about it to be calling a guy like Cowboy Cerrone a quitter.

People will make the counter argument of "oh hurr durr everyone on here was saying it, why can't he?" We're a goddamn forum, a small blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. No one listens to us.

Stephen A. Smith is a world renowned sports personality who millions and millions of people listen to, and within one nights he turned Cowboy Cerrone into a joke. A man who has dedicated nearly his entire life to this sport. A sport that Stephen A. Smith doesn't have a bonafide interest in, much less the credibility to cover in a serious manner.

That's what I take issue with. His strong stances, without considering all variables, while not being, as he put it, an affectanado of the sport.

Mike Goldberg was absolutely horrible and didn't know and understand the intricacies of the sport, but he NEVER publicly disrespected a fighter on air.

Just my two cents, and what I think most hardcores take issue with.
Thanks for the response mate, and good examples. Kellerman really is someone that does great with the public. He is very smart and educated in his commentary while not being accused of riding the fence.

Only in MMA can analysts not express their subjective opinion without being told they’re wrong.

SAS exaggerates; that’s his thing.
Sound familiar? ::sobs:: “Ronda is a once in a lifetime treasure.”

I for one don’t want to hear the bias commentating of an individual who’s only trying to push a narrative. It’s becomes an incorrect analysis.

“Joe Rogan been covering for 20 years”
Well what about all the fans who’ve been watching it for 20 years whom agreed with Stephen’s assessment of Cerrone’s horrible let down performance?

Our opinion isn’t valid either?
Most of you sherdoggers don’t even fight either so take your nerdy emotional and BIAS opinions and GTFOH.

if you’re not bright enough realize this yet, let me and other wise fellas tell you.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CERRONE, CONOR, MMA, or the fight.

this is simply JOE ROGAN acting like a little bitch because he’s jealous of Stephen A’s more dominant and superior sports analyst resume, status, and STYLE. He feels inferior, and he’s acting out on those insecure feelings. By talking about the man BEHIND HIS BACK when he could’ve approached him after the show off camera and discussed things with him. Or called him up. THAT’S A BITCH MOVE.

I’m excited for UFC 247 and I sure hope STEPHEN A. SMITH or Max Kellerman is there to report on it.

Dana White is the one who wanted Stephen A. to be reporting for UFC.

exactly...an espn company man defending another company man....I thought stephen A. was disrespectful of cerrone.
its very strange to me that someone can call cerrone a quitter, he is a
Chael lies so confidently that it sounds like it's the truth.

Nowhere in the post fight segment did SAS say "I am not an expert, here is what I saw".

The problem with SAS here is that his analysis is cheap. It's superficial. It lacks understanding. Just because the fight lasted 40 secs, he says Cerrone wasn't prepared. Some fights finish quick and it has nothing with the fighter "not being ready". You can't say Aldo wasn't ready and that fight lasted even shorter. These things happen. Again, his problem is that he gives NO CREDIT to Conor's execution ... and I am not a Conor fan.

SAS's incredulous tone when he is giving his opinion also doesn't help. It adds a layer of disrespect.
SAS is also think that he made the event popular
min 17

Let’s get honest fellas, MMA is not calculus. Stop trying to act as if it is.

Rogan is being a little bitch due to his insecurities and Napoleon complex. That basically sums this all up.

I don't particularly agree with Chael, but it's a fair opinion. I'm not as disgusted as others are with Smith, though MMA is simply a different animal than other sports. Smith simply doesn't get MMA and he very well may never -- this isn't debating where Antonio Brown goes next or how Lebron stacks up to Jordan in my opinion. However, I'm not gonna be the guy to try and convince Smith to change his tone. His mind is already made up. I'm a fan of his work but I don't always agree with him. I'd prefer to ignore his MMA analysis but whatever.

MMA is no different than boxing. he talks the same shit about boxers who are way more prestigious than Cerrone ever was in MMA, but nobody got angry. you know why? BECAUSE HE WAS RIGHT. when he called Rigondeaux a quitter, he was RIGHT.

Rigondeaux is a great boxer. Rigondeaux is extremely talented and has a high skill level. but Rigondeaux also quit. Stephen A Smith can have respect for someone AND criticize them. those things aren't mutually exclusive. why is it so hard to accept Cowboy quit and someone said it in public?

why do people think MMA is different to other sports because they fight? i heard Rogan say this before, that MMA is different because guys are getting smashed. failing to realize more people die in the NFL than in UFC. but people still shit all over guys who play in the NFL like it's nobody's business.

Mma fans cheered for the circus, fanaare and expansion of the brand right? The next logical step was espn. The UFC and fans knew what they were getting themselves into when we got in bed with the espn. We made our bed and have to lie in it. This is the price you have to pay to get mainstream success.
Very true mate -- makes me wonder if things will change with time. I didn't quite think of it as you put it but that's a good point.

Stephen A did his job. Rogan made a bush league move trashing him on his podcast without getting with Smith first. ESPN owes MMA fans and Joe Rogan an apology for putting a "fan" out their next to Rogan who's going into his 4th decade as a UFC commentator.

SAS > Rogaine

In this and basically everything.

MMA is no different than boxing. he talks the same shit about boxers who are way more prestigious than Cerrone ever was in MMA, but nobody got angry. you know why? BECAUSE HE WAS RIGHT. when he called Rigondeaux a quitter, he was RIGHT.

Rigondeaux is a great boxer. Rigondeaux is extremely talented and has a high skill level. but Rigondeaux also quit. Stephen A Smith can have respect for someone AND criticize them. those things aren't mutually exclusive. why is it so hard to accept Cowboy quit and someone said it in public?

why do people think MMA is different to other sports because they fight? i heard Rogan say this before, that MMA is different because guys are getting smashed. failing to realize more people die in the NFL than in UFC. but people still shit all over guys who play in the NFL like it's nobody's business.
Fair point mate -- folks are probably focusing a tad much on semantics where he is more or less saying similar things to many others. MMA is a sensitive bunch but I feel that stick and ball sports can be just as sensitive in other ways.

SAS > Rogaine
In this and basically everything.

Insane comment. Rogan has no business commenting on Pro Basketball. SAS has no business commenting on MMA. Pure salt

I hate this cuck internet word... but mma fans are "gatekeeping"

Stephen A should be allowed to discuss mma

Also he was right

its very strange to me that someone can call cerrone a quitter, he is a
SAS is also think that he made the event popular

I added the timestamp for you. Good clip
*timestamped

Joe rogan is full of shit. He's pretentious and hypocritical. He'll call society out at large on his podcast for being overly sensitive but goes full, for lack of a better term, "snowflake", when someone disagrees with him. As for pretentiousness? He acts like mma, more specifically that fight, is this super arcane, nuanced thing that casuals could not possibly comprehend. But it was clear that cerrone pulled a cerrone and lost. Don't need to be sherdog black belt to see that.
hes an aging pot head

Insane comment. Rogan has no business commenting on Pro Basketball. SAS has no business commenting on MMA. Pure salt

Well then you shouldn't comment on mma since you aren't credentialed.

Or any other sport. Or topic in life. Because having an opinion based on facts is not allowed here apparently.

Well then you shouldn't comment on mma since you aren't credentialed.
Or any other sport. Or topic in life. Because having an opinion based on facts is not allowed here apparently.

giphy.gif

U Ok bro? Need a hug?
giphy.gif

Back