Media Uncle Chael agrees that Stephen A. Smith is good for the sport. MMA has worst fans.

Joe has opinions and I often don’t agree with them, but they aren’t disrespect like Stephen A. Smith.

Rogan would never go on TV and say a football player who tore his ACL in the preseason has had a great season. You can hate Joe and I have no issue with that.
**HE WOULD NEVER TALK SHIT ABOUT A SPORT HE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT**

Stephen has made a career of talking shit and normally having no clue what he’s talking about. He’s a clown. Again... I have no issue with you not liking Rogan. 0% issue. My issue is you sticking up for that know nothing loser. Keep making excuses for him...
***notice that you didn’t have anything positive to say about him, it was just bashing Rogan. You aren’t even capable of defending him without having to bring up somebody else***
Huge tell.
Stephen A like Joe has opinions I don't agree with. At times I can't even listen to him. Both of these guys talk alot and say questionable things. For this discussion I'm pointing Joe's hypocrisy.
The reason that loudmouth Stephen A is important for mma is because the qualified analyst,commentators and journalist don't have the integrity or willingness to their jobs honestly because Dana's influence. If Rogan with his platform is just going to shill, than Stephen A is absolutely necessary to balance the bullshit. The result will eventually lead into healthy discussions and bring attention to some of the very questionable practices of the bald goof.
Also yes I'm definitely bashing Rogan. However outside of anything mma related I enjoy his podcast. It's part of the reason I lose respect when I hear him acting like Holly Holm and Raquel are juggernauts. In those moments I want Stephen to scream "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT" and go on a tirade.

Last edited:
I don't particularly agree with Chael, but it's a fair opinion. I'm not as disgusted as others are with Smith, though MMA is simply a different animal than other sports. Smith simply doesn't get MMA and he very well may never -- this isn't debating where Antonio Brown goes next or how Lebron stacks up to Jordan in my opinion. However, I'm not gonna be the guy to try and convince Smith to change his tone. His mind is already made up. I'm a fan of his work but I don't always agree with him. I'd prefer to ignore his MMA analysis but whatever.
When it comes to MMA most of us don't need an analysis from Smith. In fact they usually don't talk about much other than Conor and Khabib, as far as the big name personalities on ESPN.

I'm aware and used to them being mostly ignorant on the sport. But in this particular instance Smith hardly did anything wrong. Many MMA fans are hypocritical assholes.

I think all this is just a case of "lost in translation". MMA doesn't have the controversial pundit personality that other sports are used to, things said are more likely to be taken to heart.
We have Dana Fucking White!!!

lol ... And folks are quick to Rogan a schill

sonnen-busted.gif
People like to make fun of Chael but he's an excellent communicator.
As you would expect from someone selling real estate

Stephen A did his job. Rogan made a bush league move trashing him on his podcast without getting with Smith first. ESPN owes MMA fans and Joe Rogan an apology for putting a "fan" out their next to Rogan who's going into his 4th decade as a UFC commentator.
Joe Rogan isn't exactly Mr. call-it-down-the-middle himself.

I really don't know why any of us are taking sides with these corporate tools.

I get what he’s saying, it’s bringing a mainstream sports personality into the mma world and agree that’s a benefit. I think he’s overrating smith though, he’s a pretty bummy sports analyst in general, he isn’t Howard cosell covering Ali. I also agree that Stephen a has the knowledge of a casual fan with no actual insight so I understand fans getting upset with his stupidity when he tries to give his mma hot takes. I guess I like him being there as a contrast to knowledgeable people like rogan and dc, and hopefully he continues to work mma and continues to say dumb things that allow more insightful mma commentators to go in on him.

When it comes to MMA most of us don't need an analysis from Smith. In fact they usually don't talk about much other than Conor and Khabib, as far as the big name personalities on ESPN.

I'm aware and used to them being mostly ignorant on the sport. But in this particular instance Smith hardly did anything wrong. Many MMA fans are hypocritical assholes.
MMA is a very nuanced fringe sport with a particular niche. It's going to be difficult for a non fighter personality to win the fans, fighters, and general public over when coming on strong with an opinion.

Somebody I said it previously but what Rogan is really arguing is that mma fighters shouldn’t be criticized for a bad performance.

Like huh? This ain’t Disneyland bitch. This is sports and with sports comes sports analysts and commentators. And no, they don’t all have to be former athletes of that respective sport to cover it. I don’t think Ariel Helwani is a former basketball player, but he’s covering NBA now right? Okay then.

To really be truthful, this has actually nothing to do with Conor, Cowboy, etc.

The truth of the matter is, Rogan is insecure about his sports analyst abilities and he feels threatened by the GOAT sports analyst Stephen A. commentating next to him.
During the post fight comments, Stephen A. politely tells Joe “I could be wrong” and “you’re right” about that. Rogan doesn’t say much to Stephen A. Now he’s on his podcast talking shit about him in regards to the situation. In other words, Joe Rogan is being a LITTLE BITCH.
Joe rogan is full of shit. He's pretentious and hypocritical. He'll call society out at large on his podcast for being overly sensitive but goes full, for lack of a better term, "snowflake", when someone disagrees with him. As for pretentiousness? He acts like mma, more specifically that fight, is this super arcane, nuanced thing that casuals could not possibly comprehend. But it was clear that cerrone pulled a cerrone and lost. Don't need to be sherdog black belt to see that.

MMA is a very nuanced fringe sport with a particular niche. It's going to be difficult for a non fighter personality to win the fans, fighters, and general public over when coming on strong with an opinion.
Mma fans cheered for the circus, fanaare and expansion of the brand right? The next logical step was espn. The UFC and fans knew what they were getting themselves into when we got in bed with the espn. We made our bed and have to lie in it. This is the price you have to pay to get mainstream success.

Joe Rogan isn't exactly Mr. call-it-down-the-middle himself.
I really don't know why any of us are taking sides with these corporate tools.

Because Joe Rogan is infinitely more experienced to comment on any MMA fight over SAS. The fact that SAS is trying to fan his balls and double down over this situation is displeasing.

It literally has nothing to do with SAS comments. It's just that SAS is not an athletic black man, but instead an unathletic black man with a wimp head so Joe does not fetishize him. He made Rogan look like a little bitch while looking down on him and putting his hands on his shoulder as if he was talking to a kid. Joe works really hard to create his tough-guy image with the help of bowhunting, martial arts and steroids. Unfortunately for him all that goes out the window if it goes like this.

8a2d8371a82d7be2c90647933c0a4b76.jpg

giphy.gif
<{dayum}>

Max Kellerman seemed to do just fine in boxing, because he was highly educated about the nuances of the sport and its history. Jim Lampley, while he has his detractors, was a fair and balanced broadcaster for the most part, and highly respected within the industry.

The problem isn't that Stephen A is an outsider. The problem is that he obviously doesn't know enough about this sport, or put in the time and effort to learn about it to be calling a guy like Cowboy Cerrone a quitter.

People will make the counter argument of "oh hurr durr everyone on here was saying it, why can't he?" We're a goddamn forum, a small blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. No one listens to us.

Stephen A. Smith is a world renowned sports personality who millions and millions of people listen to, and within one nights he turned Cowboy Cerrone into a joke. A man who has dedicated nearly his entire life to this sport. A sport that Stephen A. Smith doesn't have a bonafide interest in, much less the credibility to cover in a serious manner.

That's what I take issue with. His strong stances, without considering all variables, while not being, as he put it, an affectanado of the sport.

Mike Goldberg was absolutely horrible and didn't know and understand the intricacies of the sport, but he NEVER publicly disrespected a fighter on air.

Just my two cents, and what I think most hardcores take issue with.

Because Joe Rogan is infinitely more experienced to comment on any MMA fight over SAS. The fact that SAS is trying to fan his balls and double down over this situation is displeasing.
Sas literally said that during his rant.. Twice

Sas literally said that during his rant.. Twice

He said Rogan is more experienced and claimed he is simply a "fan" in so many words. I don't have an issue with SAS doing his job, that's his shtick and he did what he always does. I have an issue with whoever decided to put a "fan" next to Rogan instead of someone who is also an authority on MMA.

A situation Rogan started. Again, he showed how biased that he is.

Rogan has more expierience covering mma. Smith has been covering sports in general for 30 years. Both are there for their opinions. As if Rogan hasn't spoken out of his ass before.

Again, why defend either of these corporate tools?

A situation Rogan started.
As if Rogan hasn't spoken out of his ass before.
Again, why defend either of these corporate tools?

First, ESPN started this by putting a self described "fan" out there next to Rogan and again, Rogan is the clear authority on MMA in this case, it's not even close. Rogan has every right to be upset with ESPN. I've already expressed my view and expanded on this for you. I get it you're not a fan of Rogan.

he just defending his coworker, thats all

Chael lies so confidently that it sounds like it's the truth.

Nowhere in the post fight segment did SAS say "I am not an expert, here is what I saw".

The problem with SAS here is that his analysis is cheap. It's superficial. It lacks understanding. Just because the fight lasted 40 secs, he says Cerrone wasn't prepared. Some fights finish quick and it has nothing with the fighter "not being ready". You can't say Aldo wasn't ready and that fight lasted even shorter. These things happen. Again, his problem is that he gives NO CREDIT to Conor's execution ... and I am not a Conor fan.

SAS's incredulous tone when he is giving his opinion also doesn't help. It adds a layer of disrespect.

First, ESPN started this by putting a self described "fan" out there next to Rogan and again, Rogan is the clear authority on MMA in this case, it's not even close. Rogan has every right to be upset with ESPN. I've already expressed my view and expanded on this for you. I get it you're not a fan of Rogan.
Sure man.

ESPN put Rogan out there. They could have sacked him like Goldberg.

And Rogan went on his own podcast to trash Smith.

I don't care for either of these corporate tools. I'm pretty sure I made that clear.

I get that you are not a fan of Smith. That is clear.

Back