Unarmed man killed by police after reaching into waistband

j98

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/officer-says-had-no-choice-killing-unarmed-man-183618248.html

The ruling came after Billings Police Officer Grant Morrison testified he feared for his life when he fired the three shots that killed 38-year-old Richard Ramirez.

The five-year police veteran said he became convinced that Ramirez had a gun after the man reached for his waistband during their 30-second encounter last April in a high-crime area of Montana's most populous city.

The officer was deemed justified after a court hearing.

Moral of the story: Don't smoke meth.

What was the story of the guy he shot in 2013?

where you going with this J?

I think you automatically have to be suspicious of any officer that shoots an unarmed person, especially one involved in another fatal shooting. The previous incident involved a man reaching for a replica bb gun. That shooting was ruled justified as well. I tried to find the video of the more recent incident, but could only find still shots of the incident.

A man with enough meth in his system to kill a horse is not likely to make sound decisions, and reaching in your waistband while an officer with his weapon drawn is ordering you to show your hands will likely get you shot.

I think you automatically have to be suspicious of any officer that shoots an unarmed person, especially one involved in another fatal shooting. The previous incident involved a man reaching for a replica bb gun. That shooting was ruled justified as well. I tried to find the video of the more recent incident, but could only find still shots of the incident.

A man with enough meth in his system to kill a horse is not likely to make sound decisions, and reaching in your waistband while an officer with his weapon drawn is ordering you to show your hands will likely get you shot.

Its gotten to the point where if you are pulled over for a merging violation you need to strip naked, exit the vehicle and lay face first on the ground lest you be shot for making furtive movements.

video of recent shooting in my last post btw

American cops all seem to be guys who failed 3rd grade on a power trip.

Its gotten to the point where if you are pulled over for a merging violation you need to strip naked, exit the vehicle and lay face first on the ground lest you be shot for making furtive movements.

video of recent shooting in my last post btw

That's ridiculous. There are hundreds of thousands of traffic stops, maybe even more, that go completely without incident for every incident like the above. With that said, I don't like the way the officer approached, or his aggressive language and demeanor.

I don't think it can be questioned that he perceives a threat, but is that a reasonable threat? And is that threat because of his prior experience involving the incident with the bb gun, which I don't have reason to question based on what I was able to find.

But this incident definitely raises questions about the actions of both parties. Me, I would assume he was trying to hide drugs. This officer, who had another subject attempt to pull a gun from his waistband the previous year, was definitely remembering that incident. Does that make this more, or less justified? I don't know. I would hazard a guess that another officer likely would not have perceived so great a threat, but we can't see his actions from the video. We have the officer repeatedly telling the man to get his hands up, away from his waist and he does not comply and continues to reach for something.

I really don't know how to call this one. Had the officer been calm, not cursing, and had not reached for his gun almost immediately, I probably would not have so many misgivings about the shoot.

American cops all seem to be guys who failed 3rd grade on a power trip.

Well, my fourth grade education tells me that your sentence structuring needs work.

Seriously.

Why aren't more people concerned about this?

It is ill advised to make such moves that could be reasonably viewed as attempting to brandish a weapon in the face of a man who is trained to retaliate against such threats with legal force.

As for the BB case: I am sorry, but a BB gun may not be a deadly weapon, but I am damn well not going to not fire, were I a cop, if I saw something that looks -very much like a gun- being drawn.

There is some important information that Yahoo fails to mention.

The night before his death, Ramirez was named as a suspect in a drug-involved robbery and shooting across town in Billings, Montana’s largest city. Morrison said that was a “huge contributing factor” in how he handled the traffic stop.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...amirez-shooting-death-police-billings-montana

So we have a suspect in a SHOOTING the night before, now reaching for something in his waistband after being repeatedly told to keep his hands up. Sounds like a good shoot to me.

Moral of the story, don't point a BB gun at a cop or make it look like you are going for a gun.

Dude was told to put his hands up and instead reached for something in his waistband.

So he got shot.

It's bullshit like this that distracts from ACTUAL unjustified cop killings. If you rage over shit like this, you just look like an anti-cop nutcase.

Dude was told to put his hands up and instead reached for something in his waistband.

So he got shot.

It's bullshit like this that distracts from ACTUAL unjustified cop killings. If you rage over shit like this, you just look like an anti-cop nutcase.

If only he were black his life might have mattered.

It's weird how these unarmed people are always pretending to have guns when cops are telling them to put their hands up.

Seriously.

Why aren't more people concerned about this?
Because it's an absurd statement like those muttered by angry children that isn't a serious concern.

Back