UFC uses deliberate mistranslation to hype up fight

Given the enormous gape between what Siver said and how it was translated I doubt it was a case of bad translation but more trying to stirr up some controversy.

Yeah, I was referring to cases like these too: pre-fight vids where the Brazilian guy says something like "I think I might be better" and the subtitles go "I'll destroy him".

Only mentioned the interpreter because I've been impressed with the guy and never had the chance to mention how good he is.

I've heard PRIDE did this sort of thing to Igor Vovchanchyn when translating him for videos too. Such a stupid thing to do.

I only recall Igor being extremely polite in his interviews

Who is going to stop them? Siver? He will not bite the hand that gave him his highest profile fight yet.

It would be nice if the press would at least call them out at press conferences or something. I guess they wouldn't want to lose their credentials though.

This doesn't surprise me but it actually bothers me quite a bit. There's zero shame, and they'll do absolutely anything to drum up controversy and try to make more money.

I've heard PRIDE did this sort of thing to Igor Vovchanchyn when translating him for videos too.
Rampage in the ring, speaking to Wanderlei (in english): "It's going to be you and me bro!"
Japanese translator (in japanese): "Come on, come up to the ring if you dare!"
Me: Wat.

As someone who understands japanese, I just love how they kept making shit up in every interview.

Rampage in the ring, speaking to Wanderlei (in english): "It's going to be you and me bro!"

As someone who understands japanese, I just love how they kept making shit up in every interview.

Madmoiselle - you have the best name and AV on SD - just saying

Such a stupid thing to do. That being said, im not surprised at all.

So, dumb.

And MMA websites go along with these made up quotes, even more incompetence in the MMA world.

Soundbites and quotes have been misused and twisted from the dawn of journalism.

The hard part is trying to be fan and not getting caught up in it all.

I try hard to base my views on a fighters actions and their full and lengthy responses when being interviewed or while doing press conferences rather than these short edited bits from the promos and articles.

I understand the UFC wants to promote the hype and imply conflict to sell more and I don't blame them for it. I personally wish they would just allow these fighters to be themselves. The appeal of MMA for me is that most of these guys are not manufactured and groomed athletes, but raw talented human fighters that just like to kick each others asses. I don't need the additional conflict in order to watch. It doesn't add anything for me.

Also when Ken pulled Mezger from the Sakuraba fight and the announcers said in Japanese, Mezger had lost his will to fight, but Ken told him not to fight because he didn't like the judges decision.

This makes me feel bad for Siver. Not only does everyone think he is going to be the first casualty in the octogon, then the frankly insulting odds and barely being shown while Connor is being hyped to the moon and now this.

Back