UFC uses deliberate mistranslation to hype up fight

It is known.

When Baby Jay said "To the death, Georges," it was taken out of context.

Full quote:

"So I was training with Matt Hughes. While we were working the clinch, a totally gross spider scuttled out onto the mat. Instead of the foot-stomps I'd been working on...I stomped that thing to the death. To the death, Georges."

lmao, is that quote for real? Sounds made up too, such a random thing to say.

Not the first time. They do this with Brazilian fighters quite often. Not to mention, throwing quotes into promos completely out of context.

Like when talking about Nick Diaz and saying, "that guy is public enemy number 1." They have dumbed the UFC down to Tru TV levels.

Have you guys ever watched a Bellator pre-fight promo before? Compared to them UFC looks like legit saints.

Every company does it. You have to sell fights. If a dude is as boring as Siver on the Mic, have to promote the fight some how.

Sucks for the fighter maybe but if the result is more people caring about Siver and knowing who he is? Is it really that bad.

Shady sure. But for a guy that has no buzz around them isn't the worst thing.

Yeah, Bellator has gone to a different level of absurd with Tito vs. Bonnar, and now bringing back Kimbo. Still, the Zuffa era UFC built itself on not going for the absurd, but now it is in the middle of an identity crisis, and I think they are losing the foundation their organization was built upon. Guys like Hughes, Randy, Chuck, Franklin, GSP, Silva and Penn were not hamming it up, yet were not speaking in platitudes and athlete speak... The UFC knew what they were getting with Siver, they picked a mellow German who speaks no English and looks like a James Bond villain so Connor would be the only voice leading into the fight, a fight that also was orchestrated to make Connor look great.

Siver is horrible at promoting fights, they feel the need to help add to that. It's promotion, so many people don't understand how business works. Do you think your burgers from McDonalds look and taste they way you would expect them to based on the photo adds you see?

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LOW LIFES ON SHERDOG???? :( Their should be a section that requires you fill out a bit of personal information to at least indicate you have a job and other hobbies.

You seem like a Babbit

Have you guys ever watched a Bellator pre-fight promo before? Compared to them UFC looks like legit saints.

Every company does it. You have to sell fights. If a dude is as boring as Siver on the Mic, have to promote the fight some how.

Sucks for the fighter maybe but if the result is more people caring about Siver and knowing who he is? Is it really that bad.

Shady sure. But for a guy that has no buzz around them isn't the worst thing.

Their job as fighters is to show up to their fights and promotional obligations. The manner in which they do it is completely up to them.

That's what I surmised unfortunately my portugese is very rudimentary at best.
I'd like ppl to come up with examples.
I'd also like ppl to make a thread every time the catch the UFC pulling this kind of bs.

I can't remember any specific examples, but it happens a lot with brazilian fighters. I remember someone complaining about translation in a pre fight video with Papi Abedi as well.

How do you know it was deliberate? Maybe the translator was wasted, or just a ratard.

Siver needs all the help he can get to put his name out there for this fight.

People say Conor gets pushed by the UFC, he markets himself. He gives the UFC plenty to use. Siver is doing next to nothing

They've done the same thing when Swedish fighters are interviewed.

Not surprised. Although I do think that it is a very silly thing to do. Especially when people can easily find out that you're doing it.

I really don't think the crossover WWE fans give a shit about this, they're drawn to watch the UFC because it is real. They get enough of the drama and theatrics in pro wrestling, UFC is their chance to see an actual fight. That's what makes it exotic and has them giving it the time of day.

LOL @ being drawn to the UFC because it's real. Sure the fighting is real, but everything else around it is pure made up spectacle and it appears the UFC is going for the most fake option possible. That's the issue. It isn't needed. It's worse than the made up stats going in to the first Hendricks/Lawler fight.

The saddest part is that most fans will never know those quotes are totally made up and it will change their perception of a good fighter who has been nothing but respectful of his opponents (as far as I know.)

I've heard PRIDE did this sort of thing to Igor Vovchanchyn when translating him for videos too. Such a stupid thing to do.

Yeah, but I can sort of understand it, the Japanese social norms value respectful talking.

How do you know it was deliberate? Maybe the translator was wasted, or just a ratard.

Because what he actually said is so far removed from the translation.

"I don't give anything about his predictions [to k.o. me in 2 minutes] that's why i said it. [refering to his kiss my ass comment]. The editors translated it as " connor mcgregor is not a great fighter"

Siver is horrible at promoting fights, they feel the need to help add to that. It's promotion, so many people don't understand how business works. Do you think your burgers from McDonalds look and taste they way you would expect them to based on the photo adds you see?

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LOW LIFES ON SHERDOG???? :( Their should be a section that requires you fill out a bit of personal information to at least indicate you have a job and other hobbies.

STFU get out of your mums basement get a job and then come back to us. Asshat.

Back