UFC uses deliberate mistranslation to hype up fight

FountOfWisdom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXF4TIjlSgk

As a german I have to say that the subtitles are mostly made up by the ufc's editors. He says "ich halte nichts von seinen Vorhersagen, deswegen habe ich es gesagt." which translates as "I don't give anything about his predictions [to k.o. me in 2 minutes] that's why i said it. [refering to his kiss my ass comment]. The editors translated it as " connor mcgregor is not a great fighter" lol.
Also when the subtitles say " he's the opposite of a professional athlete" Siver actually says "His style is to attack people verbally, normally I'm the opposite of this and this behaviour is not my thing."
Siver is a polite guy but the UFC is trying to make it look otherwise

As a fellow German I can second that.

While this does not necesseraly surprise me I see it as quite a low blow. How many other fighters have been deliberately misquoted is what would interest me.

Very dumb to do this on this era when it's really easy to find out you're being lied to.

I've heard PRIDE did this sort of thing to Igor Vovchanchyn when translating him for videos too. Such a stupid thing to do.

Sad thing is I'm not even surprised...

Not the first time. They do this with Brazilian fighters quite often. Not to mention, throwing quotes into promos completely out of context.

Wow. That's pretty stupid. Doesn't surprise me too much though.

Not the first time. They do this with Brazilian fighters quite often.

That's what I surmised unfortunately my portugese is very rudimentary at best.
I'd like ppl to come up with examples.
I'd also like ppl to make a thread every time the catch the UFC pulling this kind of bs.

Yea, they did the same with Papy Abedi when he was going to fight Thiago Alves(IIRC).

It is known.

When Baby Jay said "To the death, Georges," it was taken out of context.

Full quote:

"So I was training with Matt Hughes. While we were working the clinch, a totally gross spider scuttled out onto the mat. Instead of the foot-stomps I'd been working on...I stomped that thing to the death. To the death, Georges."

Happens a lot with Brazilian fighters.

(But I have to say this new kid who's been working as portuguese/english interpreter for the UFC is very good, though. no more Ed Soares.)

Happens a lot with Brazilian fighters.

(But I have to say this new kid who's been working as portuguese/english interpreter for the UFC is very good, though. no more Ed Soares.)

Given the enormous gape between what Siver said and how it was translated I doubt it was a case of bad translation but more trying to stirr up some controversy.

I've heard PRIDE did this sort of thing to Igor Vovchanchyn when translating him for videos too. Such a stupid thing to do.

images

In best Dana voice "It's just business man"....

Way to go UFC.

Why was he speaking in German anyway? His English isn't that bad.

How are they allowed to do this? Reminds me of Ed Soares doing post fight translation for Anderson, he would yell and talk for 5 minutes and Soares would translate it as Andy thanking his sponsors. UFC acts like they want to be taken seriously as a sport then they sign CM Punk and do shit like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back