UFC Turned Down Khabib vs. GSP Non-Title Fight

Would you have cared much if Khabib vs. GSP was a non-title fight?

• Total voters
Dana’s claim was always that because there was no governing body, the UFC could always make the fights that the fans wanted.

Why not put together the fight that fans want even if it’s a non-title fight?
For me, there no fight I would buy faster than Khabib vs GSP
There’s just no long term payoff to that. It’s like if they had booked Ronda vs Cyborg back in the day, but at a catchweight. Why would you do that? Sure you get one big PPV out of it, but you risk damaging your champ, the title’s legitimacy, and hurting their star-power for future fights.

I'm surprised GSP didn't try and fight Mighty Mouse when he was in the UFC. At least he draws the line somewhere.....

He isn’t Aldo (who dropped down in weight) or Anderson who called out smaller fighters numerous times

I’m glad GSP is (probably) staying retired. Fighters going out on top is extremely rare. His win against Bisping was an incredible way to cap an all time great career. Plus he didn’t look like his old self in that fight. Whether it was age, accumulated injuries, rust, health issues.... he was far from his peak

also - I would have bought GSP-Khabib in 2 seconds.

people overthink the business side. GSP is clearly the biggest fight for Khabib after Conor. It’s not even close.

any fighter can lose at any time.

trying to manage outcomes causes more harm than good

I look at this the same way the UFC didn't want to do a Catchweight fight for Rousey vs Cyborg

Why risk having their champ lose to someone from a higher weight class then have that higher weight class fighter just walk away? Kinda cheapens that championship at that point.

As a fan, I don’t care. If I was a promoter, there’s no way in hell that I’d book that. Why risk having your champ beaten with no long term payoff?
Did you feel the same way about Brock Lesnar vs Cormier?

I look at this the same way the UFC didn't want to do a Catchweight fight for Rousey vs Cyborg

Why risk having their champ lose to someone from a higher weight class then have that higher weight class fighter just walk away? Kinda cheapens that championship at that point.
In a world of interim titles and the biggest star vacating/getting stripped twice does it matter?

There’s just no long term payoff to that. It’s like if they had booked Ronda vs Cyborg back in the day, but at a catchweight. Why would you do that? Sure you get one big PPV out of it, but you risk damaging your champ, the title’s legitimacy, and hurting their star-power for future fights.
I get that part of it. I do t think you can go too wrong by keeping the fans excited and interested. Had GSP fought Silva back in the day and lost, I still would have watch GSP’s next fight against a WW

The days of fighters not wanting to fight smaller guys are long gone. Anderson wanted GSP to go up in weight to fight him (and a lot of fans supported him calling out a smaller fighter). And then wanted Conor to go up in weight to fight him. Cyborg wanted Rousey to go up in weight to fight her. Fighters are in it for the money, and sometimes the money is in fighting a smaller guy.

GSP fought out of his reg weight class one time. He moved up 15 lbs to fight a guy that used to fight at 35 lbs above WW. How is that wanting to fight smaller guys at his weight?

This fight was for a 3rd belt. There was only 2 possible ways of doing that. Actually fighting the LHW Champion. Or, fighting the LW champion. What is so hard to understand about that? GSP even said he had no interest in fighting mcg because he had nothing GSP wanted. A fight everybody and their dog wants, just to get paid (before ESPN).

And what about all the people that said dropping to 155 would deplete GSP, and Khabib would win easily? You see how your Silva vs GSP argument no longer holds up? Silva wanted the fight in HIS weight class where he has the obvious advantage. Though I’m convinced GSP would have beat Silva.

People try to draw comparisons, where there are none.

It was always about a 3rd belt. And even if the belt wasn’t on the line everybody would actually know GSP was the uncrowned champion over a previously undefeated fighter, if he beat Khabib.

Face it. GSP has already beaten the champions of 3 different weight classes WHILE they were the actual champions of those 3 different weight classes. That is never changing.

I don’t need the fight to happen. But, if it did you’re damn right I’d want the belt on the line.

It's just GSP saying that he'd like to fight Khabib, but can't cut to 155. I don't think there's anything more to that.

That wasn’t what he meant in the interview. He suggested a non title fight, because they didn’t want him to possibly win the title and go back into hiatus. In other words, “if you don’t want me to run away with the title like I did at middleweight, then make it a non title fight.”

I understand why they did it, but MAN would that have been a great fight. I'm a GSP fan all the way and would have loved to see that.

In a world of interim titles and the biggest star vacating/getting stripped twice does it matter?
When things like that can and should be avoided, yes.

He isn’t Aldo (who dropped down in weight) or Anderson who called out smaller fighters numerous times
Anderson only called out GSP because GSP started talking about fighting him first.

From MMAWeekly April 23, 2009 - In an interview with MMAWeekly.com last October, St. Pierre was a little bolder about fighting Anderson Silva

“I’m not afraid of challenging nobody at 185, I’m very confident in myself,” he said of the superfight. “I think I can do pretty well. I think I’m a different fighter than all the guys who have fought him in the past. There’s only one way to find out.”

Can you find Silva "calling out" GSP from before that date?

I would loved to have seen it.

Anderson only called out GSP because GSP started talking about fighting him first.

From MMAWeekly April 23, 2009 - In an interview with MMAWeekly.com last October, St. Pierre was a little bolder about fighting Anderson Silva

“I’m not afraid of challenging nobody at 185, I’m very confident in myself,” he said of the superfight. “I think I can do pretty well. I think I’m a different fighter than all the guys who have fought him in the past. There’s only one way to find out.”

Can you find Silva "calling out" GSP from before that date?

He was asked a question.

Anderson was straight up calling him out numerous times, even said he could go down to WW. It was obvious GSP did not want to fight him yet Anderson was still pushing for it.

Anderson also called out Conor, a FW.

Why didn’t Anderson have the same energy for Shogun when he essentially said the same thing GSP did?

He was asked a question.

Anderson was straight up calling him out numerous times, even said he could go down to WW. It was obvious GSP did not want to fight him yet Anderson was still pushing for it.

Anderson also called out Conor, a FW.

Why didn’t Anderson have the same energy for Shogun when he essentially said the same thing GSP did?
Again, can you find Anderson Silva calling out GSP from before that date, October 2008?

Did you feel the same way about Brock Lesnar vs Cormier?
At the time, I was down because I thought Brock was coming back full time under contract. If he was just coming back for one fight, then no, I don’t think it makes sense to put him in a title fight. A fight like they did at UFC 200 makes more sense.

Lol, this another thing I hate! Interim titles used to be rare, and mean something. It really devalues you’re championships and champions when everyone in their mom has an interim belt. Even worse, the UFC doesn’t follow through on them, and strips people like Tony or Colby for no reason at all.

Don't want to see this fight. IF it were to happen, then I'd like it at 170 lbs.

I get that part of it. I do t think you can go too wrong by keeping the fans excited and interested. Had GSP fought Silva back in the day and lost, I still would have watch GSP’s next fight against a WW
Yeah I suppose. Even that I think made more sense to do at 185 for Silva’s belt, rather than a catchweight. I feel like it’s worse to have GSP come down to Khabib’s actual weight class, win a belt, then retire with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be super pumped for that fight and watch the shit out of it. :)
I’m just saying I don’t think it makes sense for the UFC as a promotion.

Back