UFC Turned Down Khabib vs. GSP Non-Title Fight

Would you have cared much if Khabib vs. GSP was a non-title fight?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I know Khabib wanted to have that fight,” Georges St-Pierre told ESPN. “I want it, but the thing is, if you look from the UFC’s side, I think it’s normal if I put myself in their shoes. They didn’t want to take the risk of me winning the title and then after vacating again.

"I didn’t even want it for the title, I would rather do it not for a title. For me, it was because I considered Khabib, right now, the best fighter in the world, and he wanted to fight me as well so I thought it was a good fan fight.

“They had other plans for Khabib and I understand that. They had a lot to lose and if they invest into that fight and their investment goes out after, it’s not a good move.

“In a way, I could take that as a compliment because maybe they saw me as a threat for them. That means maybe they thought I could win the fight. If they let me fight him, it’s because they think [Khabib] would have lost.”

As a fan, I don’t care. If I was a promoter, there’s no way in hell that I’d book that. Why risk having your champ beaten with no long term payoff?

I couldn’t care less, “titles” have become pretty meaningless these days. I know who the best guys are, just let em bang and let me watch, fuck them and their hype.

In before GSP fans try to convince me why UFC should most definitely make 169lbs weightclass for GSP and Khabib to compete in, and why it's ok to break contract not to defend your belt in case you win.

It's just GSP saying that he'd like to fight Khabib, but can't cut to 155. I don't think there's anything more to that.

As a fan, I don’t care. If I was a promoter, there’s no way in hell that I’d book that. Why risk having your champ beaten with no long term payoff?

yeah pretty much this. The timing is all wrong, besides, obviously Dana could book that any fuckin day ever, both would jump at the chance

Just make a two or three fight deal and include a clause that if GSP wins and doesn’t defend he gets fined 1 million. Sure he’d defend then.

Eh. It's a lose lose for the UFC. If Khabib wins, well congrats. He just beat a guy who technically retired like 6 years ago with two artificial knees.

On the other hand, if GSP wins, it destroys Khabibs undefeated allure, and shows that fights haven't really improved over the last 6 or so years.

Side note, I dont know who would have won that fight, impossible to say. But if GSP had any speed left in the tank, his TDD plus teh jab would have been Khabibs toughest challenge.

Dana is a goof for not making this happen.

It would be a great fight, but GSP has left with a belt twice. I'm not criticizing him or his reasons.
But I totally get why Dana and co. won't entertain that happening for a potential 3rd time.

Just make the fight at 165. If khabib loses... Well he lost to the bigger man. The same shit someone else does whenever they lost at 170.

First yes vote

tenor.gif

Although I would love to see this fight, I totally agree with the UFC's decision to protect their champ. GSP would've destroyed Khabib.

but the ufc is trying to make dc-stipe 3, and we all know dc is retiring afterwards, win or lose. i think the difference is dana loves dc.

I'm surprised GSP didn't try and fight Mighty Mouse when he was in the UFC. At least he draws the line somewhere.....

Im not the UFC, and the question is would it matter to me. Of course it would matter. GSP would have been the first 3 weight champion. That’s a pretty big deal, that nobody could ever take away.

Everything he said is legitimate and truthful. The UFC can't risk giving a guy who does not want to defend a title shot. You are essentially investing into a black hole. Only a moron would think this is a good business investment long term.

As a fan I think Khabib vs GSP would've been a great fight. It's a shame it won't likely happen now given the circumstances. Tony still deserves his title shot. The UFC still wants Khabib vs Conor 2. The only way for this happen now is if Khabib plans on retiring and GSP vs Khabib is his last fight.

In one way or another Conor is to be blamed for this. He basically held the division up for 1 1/2 years while he went off to make money in boxing. Futhermore Khabib wasted a fight on AL while he waited. Not to mention Khabib isn't available to fight like 6 months of the year. It sucks.

Imagine if Conor won the belt and then fought Khabib in 2016. Khabib then goes on defend it against Tony Ferg in early 2017. GSP beat's Bisping that year. GSP fights Khabib in 2018

Last edited:

I get you and agree in part as a fan I really don't care if the fight was not for a belt, the way the UFC treats belts it wouldn't really matter anyhow. From a promotion stand point I somewhat understand they don't wanna risk their champ losing to a part-timer, but so what? Doesn't make Khabib any less of a fighter losing to the likes of GSP in fact it could actually be used as a selling point do a rematch and sell it as for real fight with the belt on the line this time.

But GSP at this stage just wants to do specialty fights with selected opponents. If GSP was to win with no belt it would be talked about for a few months but he's not in the UFC mix or on the roaster. Khabib goes back to be being unbeaten within the current ranks of his division I wouldn't see him as any less than the tough human sob that he already is and still very sell able for promoter and sponsor.

Of course Khabob is okay with fighting welterweight fighter if they are way past it but won’t fight welterweights in their prime! And what has Khabob done so far to get a shot at fighting one of the old greats? So entitled this guy.
A Jones fan calling Khabib "entitled"

<36>

Back