UFC trying so hard to shove Weidman down viewers eyeballs

I've being saying this since forever. Great fighter, but has no personality and his fighting style is not really exciting

He beat Silva 2X, Machida, Vitor, Munoz, Maia, and Hall. 9-0 in the UFC. You'd have to rate him pretty damn high to be over-rating him.

So I should be impressed because he beat 3 old men, one who had an extensive lay off (including off his TRT) and journeyman in Munoz? Maia is his only decent win. Uriah Hall is okay but not elite.

You guys on this forum treat him like some MMA savant.

Generic wrestler boxer continues to get paired up with Ronda or top draws. The guy has no personality and so static...don't understand why the UFC tries to continously shove this guy down our throats so much.

Guy continues to get carried by other top fighters.....now he has to be the co-main at UFC 194.

You're asking why the UFC is giving their MW champion fights???

I've being saying this since forever. Great fighter, but has no personality and his fighting style is not really exciting

Until he finishes guys, amirite? :rolleyes:

TS doesn't deserve a Grasso avatar.

He does have a personality, he just doesn't shit-talk all the time. I think he is exciting, and a good finisher, but he doesn't do anything super flashy that makes people whoop in awe.

I enjoy his fights, but I am not a fan of his cause he somehow has less charisma than Cain. Yes we should care who the MW champ is, the MW should be able to sell a PPV, but somehow he just has no magnetism and no social media / traditional media presence (in the sense that Conor, Ronda, GSP, etc) do.

He does have a personality, he just doesn't shit-talk all the time. I think he is exciting, and a good finisher, but he doesn't do anything super flashy that makes people whoop in awe.

When have you thought to yourself "You know what, I'm going to Youtube to watch some Chris Weidman highlights.".

He beat Silva 2X, Machida, Vitor, Munoz, Maia, and Hall. 9-0 in the UFC. You'd have to rate him pretty damn high to be over-rating him.

well some people are rating that list higher than bones', which i don think it is....yet. within a year or 2 (if hed fight more often) he could pass bones tho

His charisma is fine, he was more boring pre-Munoz fight. I think he has come into his own now, he's just not overly out there doing media.

I don't think it's fair to say he draws zilch or piggy-backs off of other fighters.

Let's not forget, only a year ago Rousey/McMann only did 340k buys. She has only recently become the top PPV draw, she wasn't big until 184.

175 was mostly Weidman carrying the card. This was before Rousey's 16 and 14 second KOs, movies and WWE appearance that bolted her into superstardom.

Also, 187 should be considered an outlier. Everyone predicted it's buys would do poorly because of the Mayweather/PacMan hangover (it was less than a month later). The fight was hardly promoted for this reason. Not to mention the whole jones fiasco hurt the buys.

As of now, Weidman is a middle of the pack, 400-600k buy champ. However, I believe he can be a consistent solid draw (600-700k). The reason he is on this card is simply because he said the earliest he was looking to fight was December (because of his wife's pregnancy) and it just played out that way.

So I should be impressed because he beat 3 old men, one who had an extensive lay off (including off his TRT) and journeyman in Munoz? Maia is his only decent win. Uriah Hall is okay but not elite.

He is the champ. What are they supposed to do, not give him fights?

Don't be a fucking idiot.

He doesn't have to have personality or charisma or whatever you think it is that he so desperately needs to sell - he's the champion because he's good at what he's supposed to be good at... fighting.

People watch MMA for all the wrong reasons. It`s not a popularity constest. It`s fighting. What matters are the fights.

Then who should we be impressed with at 185? The top talent at 185 just so happens to be in their 30's, but that doesn't make them worthless. They were all on a roll until they met The Chris.

He doesn't have to have personality or charisma or whatever you think it is that he so desperately needs to sell - he's the champion because he's good at what he's supposed to be good at... fighting.

Agreed. Paring him with a top draw just exposes him and actual fight fans will appreciate him for what he does: fight.

well some people are rating that list higher than bones', which i don think it is....yet. within a year or 2 (if hed fight more often) he could pass bones tho
Naw, he's not surpassed Bones. He will, in my books, if he beats Rockhold, Jacare, Romero and Mousasi. The best guys he has yet to defeat.

His charisma is fine, he was more boring pre-Munoz fight. I think he has come into his own now, he's just not overly out there doing media.

Not to mention you can't have a roster full of McGregors. The novelty would wear off.

Weidman is the everyman. The fans will come around and he'll end up being a solid PPV draw, especially after the McGregor/Aldo PPV exposure.

He's likable, he's undefeated, he finishes fights, he's somewhat of a meathead, but he doesn't take himself too seriously. I wouldn't worry too much about him and his drawing power.

RDJ, MM and DC

Back